1940 Ford 'Eureka' Flower Car

Seems optimistic :rolleyes:

Very. Especially since it had trouble finding a home when it last came up for sale at Volo Auto Museum a few years ago for less than 1/3 that price. It was listed for about $50K, and I heard it sold somewhere a little less than that. I'm not sure how one dealer selling to another dealer warrants a 350% price increase.

For that price, you would think that the least that they could do was to purchase a reproduction Ford Script battery, battery hold down, and correct battery cables, instead of "jerry rigging" it.

Attachments

• 977vvv.jpg
    977vvv.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 279
One Has to realize how "Classic car dealers" work. They make a market between themselves, Sell to each other with an ever increasing price thus the public thinks my the price of this vehicle is going up and up. They hope a sucker will jump in and buy at the inflated price then everyone involved gets a share of the profit. Ever notice how we find now and then that a vehicle sells for a greatly reduced price? A failure of the scheme to produce the wanted up swing. Certain auctions work this to the max. Looks like our flower car here went this route.

One Has to realize how "Classic car dealers" work. They make a market between themselves, Sell to each other with an ever increasing price thus the public thinks my the price of this vehicle is going up and up. They hope a sucker will jump in and buy at the inflated price then everyone involved gets a share of the profit. Ever notice how we find now and then that a vehicle sells for a greatly reduced price? A failure of the scheme to produce the wanted up swing. Certain auctions work this to the max. Looks like our flower car here went this route.

It's sort of like that 1948 Ford Siebert hearse that's been on eBay and won't sell. It sat on eBay through multiple listings with a buy it now of $6500 or best offer from the previous owner. He was a long time owner and Ford collector and couldn't sell it at that price. When I talked to him about it, he said he would take $5500 for it. Shortly after, it stopped getting listed.

Fast forward a half year or so, and the current seller, a dealer, can't get it sold. A couple months ago they started with an absurd buy it now of something like $18K and are now down to a buy it now of $8K. So my question is, if the eBay world had a chance at it for months when the old owner had it for $6500, and no one wanted it, why do you think that in your hands it will fetch an extra 33%? I never understand these types of dealers...

Don't Take It Personally but....

I guess you have to gauge in your thinking that there are those classic cars out there, all across America, that are grossly under-priced and owners who 'live in a cave' out of touch with current market, that don't know what they have, and sell cheap (ex:$5500). There are collectors and dealers who circulate daily in the Marketplace that DO know. They buy it, sometimes properly restore it and re-market at current /real value. That's part of living in America. It's called Free Enterprise.
The other thing you have to gauge is invariably, the prospect calls to purchase it and AUTOMATICALLY expects a discount. The seller either gives in or not, and still makes a fair profit. Both parties are winners. Obviously, this is not a good example of 'fair pricing' but, it is entertaining. That's why I posted it. I thought -the seller probably realizes how rare and unique the Coach is but, obviously isn't familiar with that market and way over priced it. It doesn't mean EVERY Dealer is.
I have found in my old age, the same person that casts dispersion's is also the same person that brags when they 'steal' a vintage Corvette from a little old lady, or widow, who simply looks at the title and it reads "1958 Chevrolet CV". And, sells her Son's. or Husbands. car he bought while he was in the Service for Chevy money. Or, buys a Nikon at the Flea Market at a Kodak price. Then, it's alright??
When you get older and watch lots and lots of sales go down, you realize, whether it's an oil painting, Classic car or antique it is worth what the person that wants it... is willing to pay to connect to it. It's really not fair to stand in judgement, or become opinionated, just because it might irk you or your personal philosophy. Just watch the Cable TV Auctions or American Pickers. It's UnReality TV.
ps. I LOVE Packards. Point is: Henry built Fords & Lincolns but, took his last ride in a Packard instead of maybe something like this>>> Coach listed. When I get time, I will research and see what Coach Harley Earl rode in. Bet it wasn't a Ford :)

...................Henry built Fords & Lincolns but, took his last ride in a Packard instead of maybe something like this>>> Coach listed. When I get time, I will research and see what Coach Harley Earl rode in. Bet it wasn't a Ford :)

What I find so amazing about Henry taking his last ride in a Packard, is that his death was known to happen at sometime in the future, and that Ford Motor Company, knowing that everyone must die sometime, didn't prepare for it, by having a coach built vehicle on a Ford chassis for all former Ford employees use, when that time came. After all, it wasn't a secret that almost all the Professional Cars in use at the time, were either Cadillac or Packard, and that a Ford Professional Car didn't exist, for all practical reasoning. Even this Ford Flower Car was an anomaly, that Ford had no reason to know of its existence.

What I find so amazing about Henry taking his last ride in a Packard, is that his death was known to happen at sometime in the future, and that Ford Motor Company, knowing that everyone must die sometime, didn't prepare for it, by having a coach built vehicle on a Ford chassis for all former Ford employees use, when that time came. After all, it wasn't a secret that almost all the Professional Cars in use at the time, were either Cadillac or Packard, and that a Ford Professional Car didn't exist, for all practical reasoning. Even this Ford Flower Car was an anomaly, that Ford had no reason to know of its existence.

When Edsel Ford died they used a Lincoln!

Henry Ford's last ride...in a Packard.....

Attachments

• 493145.jpg
    493145.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 124
  • FordFuneral.jpg
    FordFuneral.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 120
Ford motor company and Henny had a long Hx of doing business to gather. Ford never went to his grave in a Packard . He went in a Henny

Ford motor company and Henny had a long Hx of doing business to gather. Ford never went to his grave in a Packard . He went in a Henny

Take your choice.. Packard, Henny, Henny Packard, Packard Henny.... :rolleyes:

1937 was the final year for Oldsmobile-chassised Henney-Progress coaches as Henney made a permanent switch to the Packard chassis in 1938 and would remain with them until their demise in 1954. *

*http://www.coachbuilt.com/bui/h/henney/henney.htm

Attachments

• sticker,375x360.jpg
    sticker,375x360.jpg
    13 KB · Views: 104
  • splittinghairs.jpg
    splittinghairs.jpg
    10.8 KB · Views: 110
I get amused by Hennys. The are always retired to by car brand but you call a man's MM a Cadillac they go up in arms.

When I get time, I will research and see what Coach Harley Earl rode in. Bet it wasn't a Ford :)[/QUOTE]

Interesting search: Harley Earl died in "West Palm Beach on April 10th 1969". I lived in that area most of my life and he lived in Palm Beach, directly on the Atlantic Ocean on South Ocean Blvd. in front of MaraLago. Trump later bought that huge estate and made a luxury Hotel out of it.

I'm betting, if he did die 'in West Palm Beach', it was at Good Samaritan Hospital not IN West Palm Beach. He was a Palm Beach kind-of-guy. He always dressed 'to-the-nines' and I used to see him on my way to School in his driveway from time to time. He drove a Pearl Blue '63 Corvette Concept Convertible with chrome side pipes that extended out those big 'Louvers' (for lack of a better term) in the front quarters. It had knock-off wheels and Rubber & Chrome Floor Mats permanently attached to the floors. Olley Olsen Speed Shop serviced the cars on Southern Blvd. His wife drove a Pearl Pink '63 Corvette Split-Window with Pink Leather (automatic) and she kept it longer then he did the Convertible. I did find out he was cremated and his ashes dumped in the Ocean probably very near his home or off the seawall. No hearse photo's I could find are published.

Back