New Tires on the Lifeliner

Decided today that just maybe the Lifeliner might need new tires. It was wobbling, making a funny noise on the left rear side, and not the easiest thing to drive on the highway. Turns out two of my tires had actually separated causing all my issues. Now it rides as smooth as glass. I suppose a 8600 pound monster just sitting there has an effect on the tires. Who would have thought!

Attachments

• t1.jpg
    t1.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 418
  • t3.jpg
    t3.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 402
  • t4.jpg
    t4.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 409
Richard, you'll enjoy the ride on those Hankooks. We put them on the '64 last year.....WOW, what a difference they made. We can actually DRIVE it the way it wants to be driven!!!

Too bad that the installer wasn't taught that the red dot is where the tire should be mounted in line with the tire valve. Seems that today, the only ones that know that are the tire manufacturers. Even Ford didn't get it right on the cars. Makes you wonder why the tire manufacturers don't just save the cost of all that red paint.

Richard, you are lucky that you did not have a blowout. They say radials deteriorate and separate after as few as five years, even when they have only a few miles on them. I am a firm believer in NEW TIRES, to me, that is important.
In Old Cars Weekly, there have been countless articles on radial tires and I tend to believe them. There were at least two professional car mishaps due to blowouts. A 1968 hearse literally burned to the ground, after a blowout. And Ron Devies had a blowout and lots of damage to his Cadillac Hightop ambulance, from a blowout. I know we can't prevent every disaster, but in my opinion, tires are extremely important.

my S&S Lincoln has the same issue with one tire having a separated belt and another that is cracking. Tires are 10 yrs old but only 30,000 miles on a 66,000 mile tire. Time for 2 new ones!

One thing That you may consider to help with prolonging tire life... When you store the car put the car up on jack stands so the stress is of off the tires during the storage season. I realize That Florida has decent weather year around but if the car sits idle for an extended time the break from the 8000 lbs. is welcome. Just a thought...

Last edited:
the rv people why have a much bigger investment in tires then we do suggest a plastic mate. me I just went back to bias ply. here is Virgil's baby in her new shoes

Attachments

• IMG_0821a.jpg
    IMG_0821a.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 383
the rv people why have a much bigger investment in tires then we do suggest a plastic mate. me I just went back to bias ply. here is Virgil's baby in her new shoes

Anything built 1970 or prior looks better with bias ply tires on it anyway, in my opinion!

Oh oh. I hope I don't have the same issues with RV tires since Terri and I just bought one. I haven't even driven this yet going home this weekend to check her out.

Attachments

• mh1.jpg
    mh1.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 188
  • mh4.jpg
    mh4.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 188
Richard, you are lucky that you did not have a blowout. They say radials deteriorate and separate after as few as five years, even when they have only a few miles on them. I am a firm believer in NEW TIRES, to me, that is important.
In Old Cars Weekly, there have been countless articles on radial tires and I tend to believe them. There were at least two professional car mishaps due to blowouts. A 1968 hearse literally burned to the ground, after a blowout. And Ron Devies had a blowout and lots of damage to his Cadillac Hightop ambulance, from a blowout. I know we can't prevent every disaster, but in my opinion, tires are extremely important.

I think these tires even though looked brand new had about 6000 miles on them.

Am I seeing Spanish Moss, ice, and snow in that photo??

Definitely mildew and wish there was snow. This belonged to my wife's aunt and uncle but Uncle Larry suffered a stroke last August so they gave up RVing. It sits in the backyard of my rental house and in Florida anything outside is prone to that green mildew. Got it cleaned up and looks like new again. Uncle Larry always maintained this RV above and beyond. Might take this to Gettysburg....:D First thing coming off is that Michigan/Michigan State plate. Got to go MICHIGAN all the way!

Expensive lesson

Take it from me, that four or five hundred dollar investment is a lot cheaper than new skirts and hubcaps and a visit to the body shop. I figure my new tires cost me around 3,000 for my procrastination. Now I am buying a new set of tires in rotation every year one of my cars is getting new tires. This year it will be the 66. I have bought new tires for the Pinner, the high top and the Stoner just have two more cars to go.

me I just wish that coker/universal would produce these tires in a different white wall. a 2 inch would look OK on most of the cars. in the 60s the duel strip is good for 70 to 76. if we all would ask for them every time we contact them may be they will. to me the small lose of handling on a car I only put 2 to 300 miles on in a year is nothing as compared to a blow out at hy speed of a new looking tire. I'll let it thump thump for a block or two that will give me better piece of mind.

I drove the 72 to Rochester and back on them, tomorrow I would do it again with out thinking of the tires be on setting the air pressure. but the hancock are the best alternative out there and they are a good looking tire. if you can take the black wall look the 700x15 load range E is a safer bet

I just don't like the big obnoxious HANKOOK plastered on the sidewall! I wish they would change that.

I just don't like the big obnoxious HANKOOK plastered on the sidewall! I wish they would change that.

I've got to agree with you, man is that ever obnoxious!!! It went against everything that I stand for to put them on the '64. In the end my mechanic/tire guy stated (quite firmly) that they are by far the best tire out there right now for this application. Way less problems, way better "behavior" on the road, just overall a much better product. Besides that, the price was extremely competitive with all other brands including my beloved Goodyears and Coopers.

Bottom line.....are they period correct for the car?? NO!! They are radials vs. bias ply, the whitewall is not perfectly correct. Does the car handle/drive better?? OH YES it does!!! We're not scared to death driving it anymore, waiting for a blowout or other catastrophic failure tearing hell out of things!!!

Tires

We work with Diamond Back Classics out of Conway, SC. The company President usually assists us, and is very knowledgeable and diligent about getting us the extra-load tires we need with the whitewalls we want.

The new tires for our Criterion are Falkens and far surpass the necessary load rating. Like those who have previously posted to this thread, I do not take chances when it comes to tires.

Attachments

• 110.jpg
    110.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 157
Back