Barn-fresh Cadillac V-16 ambulance heads to auction

Chris, thanks for breaking down the "pieces" for us. That's a heck of a combination of parts, to be sure.

I wonder if this was something assembled in the early days of WWII. There was a need for ambulances in case of attack, few available cars or chassis, and the desire to press a running but seldom-used large car into service. I've heard of that in Europe, perhaps that happened occasionally here. Just a hypothesis, not based on any information.

(By the way, good to hear from you. I met you at the Capitol Cadillac show, I had the '70 M-M ambulance inside!)

Chris wrote:

Thanks, Steve.

You have a beautiful ambulance.

You have a beautiful ambulance FLEET ! is how that needs to be worded !

Thanks Chris for the informative post on the V16 !

Darren

Like anything else, it varied. I'm not sure you could make a generalization. White seems popular. Bright colors seem less common. But it's hard to tell specific colors as there are very few color photos from then, and most folks who might remember colors from that era are gone.

fresh photos

Wonderful car!! In the right hands a truly unique car could definitely be brought back (bring deep pockets), though obviously the mechanicals are an unknown, or kept in its present state with a good clean up. It is at an auction where it will be appreciated, though more for its unique heritage than as an ambulance per say.
Will try to return for the bidding. Anyone want to cut me a cheque?

Attachments

• P1020191 (1536 x 1152).jpg
    P1020191 (1536 x 1152).jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 280
  • P1020192 (1536 x 1152).jpg
    P1020192 (1536 x 1152).jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 298
  • P1020193 (1536 x 1152).jpg
    P1020193 (1536 x 1152).jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 294
  • P1020195 (1536 x 1152).jpg
    P1020195 (1536 x 1152).jpg
    76 KB · Views: 280
  • P1020196 (1536 x 1152).jpg
    P1020196 (1536 x 1152).jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 273
  • P1020197 (1536 x 1152).jpg
    P1020197 (1536 x 1152).jpg
    93 KB · Views: 302
Thank you for posting these photos. Were you able to make out any of the lettering that was sanded off of the doors and windows? I would really love to know where this car earned its living.

Chris Cummings

Returned for another look this am. As to markings one cannot make out any detail or even ridges in paint to assist in lettering. I also could not find any one with more information on the history of the vehicle (will likely try again). Chris, I was able to go over the car with a vintage Cady lover and he pointed out many of the points you describe so well. I brought up the concern of some individuals taking a complete chassis and returning it to its original pro car routes and he felt that was a definite possibility.

Interestingly in the two times I went over the car I did not meet anyone with any knowledge on professional cars of any type. Its focus of interest was on it as a Cadillac. I tried to pass on the little information (provided so well by previous notes on this thread) I could mentioning the PCS and people were very interested. The common message was " I hope it goes to a person with a passion for what it is, the way it is". Lets hope.

I have taken other pictures, but happy to get anything people want.

Tim,

Thanks very much for the further report. If you don't mind, would love to see the other photos you took (I'm a glutton for anything about V-16 Cadillacs, and early professional cars fascinate me). My e-mail is ccummings <at> cftc <dot> gov.

Chris Cummings

I just noticed that it is diplaying a (Non-Commercial / Not For Hire) California (Yellow) License Plate that means it would have been on the road somewhere in (CA) prior to 1956 when they went to (Black) Plates. MM

Was able to get a little information on history.
Early history unknown, but car has three coats of paint obvious: black>bright blue>grey.
Apparently then did serve as an armed forces ambulance, but no details as to location.
At some point placed in a museum in Santa Rosa Ca., which closed in 1965. Was obtained by the Miller Family at that point, whose focus was early automobile history and at the auction a number of their items were for sale.
Unfortunately I was not there for its sale so did not talk with the buyer.

Tim,

Thanks for the re-cap.

Someone told a restorer I know in Pennsylvania that the conversion work was done by the Derham coachbuilding company of Rosemont, PA. I have no independent knowledg of that, or of the source of that suggestion. But it's interesting.

Chris Cummings

Back