Krystal Koach in trouble, again

I attended a funeral for a long-time SPAMMFAA Member at Rose Hills in Whittier (CA) a few days ago. Their whole (very busy) "in-house" fleet of hearses appeared to be "aging" Superior-Lincolns. Maybe they will buy a few of the (51) Krystal's in stock and help them out? MM

And so it begins. Although never a real factor in the professional car market, this is an ominous sign of what may happen elsewhere in the industry. Brace yourselves, although I'd hope not, we may be hearing similar new from yet another manufacturer.

with nothing to offer for sale it will cascade into nothing to offer for sale and no one to buy it. when you spend 1/4 to 1/2 on a recondition older coach and people that walk by say whow, who wants to spend the big bucks on a new car that everyone says is ugly. every industry is felling the ground shift under there feet right now. who is still there and in what country is up for grabs

I still say the coach builders need to be in the upfitting/refurbish business of older professional cars! It would help them in the long run!

I think that's one of the many reasons that Honest Dealers like Doug Scott in Burbank (CA) still do a very brisk business in late model coaches and limo's. I believe that he has (good) problems keeping much of a late model inventory.... being bought up as soon as he get's them in! MM

with nothing to offer for sale it will cascade into nothing to offer for sale and no one to buy it. when you spend 1/4 to 1/2 on a recondition older coach and people that walk by say whow, who wants to spend the big bucks on a new car that everyone says is ugly.

I think John is dead on ...when we all take our older coaches to a show or a cruise all we get is WOW very nice or very cool, very Classy

Like someone said earlier...most people at a funeral don't even notice the coach. So why spend the BIG BUCKS on a new ugly coach when you can recondition a 1990s or anything really and get the same reaction from the public.
Go even older and even the family at the funeral will go WOW that is one beautiful coach.

Heritage , History and respect is what it should be all about

remember all of us "car guys" are dropping like flies.... who of us wants to go out in an ugly Lincoln or Cadillac ??? NOT ME :my2cents:

I still say the coach builders need to be in the upfitting/refurbish business of older professional cars! It would help them in the long run!

I agree 100% if the Coach builders would get their heads out of the sand they would realize that there is money to be made in this side of the business. Instead of giving it to the body shops. what they do now in my view is sell the car and forget it !!!

again my opinion

That would be a real possibility and I am sure that there are any number of funeral directors or even professional car enthusiasts that would send their cars back to the plant for restoration or refurbishing. In Germany, realizing the value of the image their vehicles (old or new) project and having a real interest in their heritage, Mercedes-Benz has an operation dedicated to restoring older vehicles for clients - it isn't cheap but, they seem to keep quite busy. However, in another brilliant move, the bright sparks at Accubuilt sold off all of the past model parts inventory for both Superior and S&S. I think you'd have a tough time getting Accubuilt to do anything for you on a past model car. In fact, if I'm not mistaken, someone recently approached them with such a request and was flatly turned down.

Accubuilt sold off all of the past model parts inventory for both Superior and S&S. I think you'd have a tough time getting Accubuilt to do anything for you on a past model car. In fact, if I'm not mistaken, someone recently approached them with such a request and was flatly turned down.

This is true! I tried to get a new window felt/rubber seal for the drivers side door a couple years back for the 94 S&S limo (a.k.a. Elmo) and I was told who the parts were sold to and given a number to call along with a part number I needed as well. I called that outfit (name slips me right now) and they didn't even seem to have a slightest clue to what part I was talking about or anything after giving them a through part description, part number and even my Accubuilt contacts name!:mad:

At the risk of offending anyone, I will say that I'm not the slightest bit surprised that Krystal is in trouble, again. When Krystal introduced a Cadillac hearse design back in 1994, it wasn't bad; they had some creative ideas. At the time, I was working for Will Nye at T&N United Coach Sales of Minneapolis. Will, always willing to give a new coachbuilder a shot, took on the line and ordered a demonstrator in dark gray with a black top and light gray interior. I can still remember the summer evening it arrived via auto carrier; we went over that hearse with a fine-tooth comb, finding it to be a saleable unit, but not without immediate and future issues. For example, Krystal boasted having the longest #2 doors in the industry. The extra length was nice, but the hinges were below par and the doors (on a brand new hearse) were already beginning to sag. We also noted that the vinyl top was lumpy in several places and the rear door "hold open" wasn't as strong as it should be. Again, not a bad initial design, but needing some tweeking.

We, along with other dealers expressed our concenrs to the execs at Krystal...who did nothing. Consequently, very few Krystals were sold in this area. Those that were sold had issues to the point where the cars were being traded back in much sooner than normal as the funeral homes "just wanted to get rid of them."

Anyone who comes across a pre-1998 Krystal Lincoln hearse, it's worthy of a look, if for no other reason than to see it has a ridiculously high loading height.

Fast forward well into the new millenium and we find that Krystal's quality hasn't improved. By observation, it has become worse. There is a reputable dealer in Minnesota who has sold some Krystals over the past few years and I'm amazed they choose to have their name associated with such a brand. It took one firm several months to receive delivery of the new Krystal Cadillac hearse they ordered, while another firm traded their one-year-old Krystal back in for a Federal due to quality issues. I know of a funeral home that buys new hearses on a very price-concious basis and even they wouldn't touch a Krystal after examining one in person. Having inspected the cars myself, I can truly agree that they seem "chincy." Everything from the door fittings to the lack of opening width and hold-open on the rear door, to the construction of the church truck compartment door and the use of limo-style rope lighting in the rear shadow boxes (prone to falling down, even on new cars) to the shoddy beltline trim...just doesn't portray a feeling of confidence when making the major investment in a new hearse.

Our local dealer even had a Krystal Chrysler 300 hearse a few years ago. Not only was the car visually unbalanced, it must have been mechanically unbalanced as well because every driver I spoke to that had taken the car on a service said the drivertrain vibrated noticeably at any speed over 40 miles per hour.

The ironic part of this is, from the limousine-service operators I've spoken with over the years, the general consensus is that Krystal builds one heck of a great limousine!

Like I said, I would rather get a couple of '93-'96 Superiors or S&S's and recondition them. They have better road presence than any thing out there.

From the ones I have seen I have to agree with Tony 100%. Even though their limo's were better than the hearses the idea seemed to be (fancy) is better. They looked good but had issues. We have sold a few krystal's hearses over the years and they were ok. When I had my limo service years ago around atlanta most of the people ran krystal's. I never had one but looked at several but from early 90's deBryan and the usual coach builders did a great job with limo's. Hope this helps.

At the risk of offending anyone, I will say that I'm not the slightest bit surprised that Krystal is in trouble, again. When Krystal introduced a Cadillac hearse design back in 1994, it wasn't bad; they had some creative ideas. At the time, I was working for Will Nye at T&N United Coach Sales of Minneapolis. Will, always willing to give a new coachbuilder a shot, took on the line and ordered a demonstrator in dark gray with a black top and light gray interior. I can still remember the summer evening it arrived via auto carrier; we went over that hearse with a fine-tooth comb, finding it to be a saleable unit, but not without immediate and future issues. For example, Krystal boasted having the longest #2 doors in the industry. The extra length was nice, but the hinges were below par and the doors (on a brand new hearse) were already beginning to sag. We also noted that the vinyl top was lumpy in several places and the rear door "hold open" wasn't as strong as it should be. Again, not a bad initial design, but needing some tweeking.
We, along with other dealers expressed our concenrs to the execs at Krystal...who did nothing. Consequently, very few Krystals were sold in this area. Those that were sold had issues to the point where the cars were being traded back in much sooner than normal as the funeral homes "just wanted to get rid of them."

Anyone who comes across a pre-1998 Krystal Lincoln hearse, it's worthy of a look, if for no other reason than to see it has a ridiculously high loading height.

Fast forward well into the new millenium and we find that Krystal's quality hasn't improved. By observation, it has become worse. There is a reputable dealer in Minnesota who has sold some Krystals over the past few years and I'm amazed they choose to have their name associated with such a brand. It took one firm several months to receive delivery of the new Krystal Cadillac hearse they ordered, while another firm traded their one-year-old Krystal back in for a Federal due to quality issues. I know of a funeral home that buys new hearses on a very price-concious basis and even they wouldn't touch a Krystal after examining one in person. Having inspected the cars myself, I can truly agree that they seem "chincy." Everything from the door fittings to the lack of opening width and hold-open on the rear door, to the construction of the church truck compartment door and the use of limo-style rope lighting in the rear shadow boxes (prone to falling down, even on new cars) to the shoddy beltline trim...just doesn't portray a feeling of confidence when making the major investment in a new hearse.

Our local dealer even had a Krystal Chrysler 300 hearse a few years ago. Not only was the car visually unbalanced, it must have been mechanically unbalanced as well because every driver I spoke to that had taken the car on a service said the drivertrain vibrated noticeably at any speed over 40 miles per hour.

The ironic part of this is, from the limousine-service operators I've spoken with over the years, the general consensus is that Krystal builds one heck of a great limousine!

Back