Okay; Who Pinched The Engine From My Criterion?

Robert , If you have not saved all the original emission equipment exhaust manifolds etc ,I would put it all in a box no matter how small it is. The current emission law says that only models previous to the 76 model year are inspected (who writes sh&t like this? Friggin politicians! ) Why not just say 75 and down require no testing. With Ca looking for a nickel under any rock ,they could change the law back to the way it was before and go back as far as 1953 with all the so called emission cures to add to the the old engines. A lot of peoples interpretation of the law is that no testing means you can do what you want when in truth all legal add on or changes will have a EO (Exctive Order # issued to it from Carb(California Air Resource Board) In the real world there are no cops looking under hoods of old cars only the ones that go in for biannual testing.But when the politicians see dollar signs let the public beware.:my2cents:

Dan - One never knows what C.A.R.B. will impose on us next, so I have retained all the smog related items. The car hobby in CA was not successful in defeating the latest air quality item we voted on, and that will no doubt give those who serve us in Sacramento the green light to make it much more difficult to own a collector car.

The Engine & Transmission Are Back In The Car

They have been busy at the restoration shop. The engine and transmission are back in the car. The headers have been coated and blend in very well.

Attachments

• IMG_5501yes.jpg
    IMG_5501yes.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 243
  • IMG_5500yes.jpg
    IMG_5500yes.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 242
  • IMG_5505.jpg
    IMG_5505.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 228
A couple more shots of the engine bay.

Attachments

• IMG_5533.jpg
    IMG_5533.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 245
  • IMG_5507.jpg
    IMG_5507.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 251
The shop has the tools needed for any level of restoration.

Attachments

• IMG_5531shop.jpg
    IMG_5531shop.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 244
  • IMG_5530.jpg
    IMG_5530.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 238
There were some new cars in the shop from my last visit.

Attachments

• IMG_5526.jpg
    IMG_5526.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 219
  • IMG_5518.jpg
    IMG_5518.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 232
  • IMG_5523.jpg
    IMG_5523.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 226
  • IMG_5521.jpg
    IMG_5521.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 209
  • IMG_5519.JPG
    IMG_5519.JPG
    96.3 KB · Views: 211
  • IMG_5522.jpg
    IMG_5522.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 212
Last edited:
wounder why they painted all the black brackets blue? but that new brake unit sure looks a lot better then it did. they getting your AC hooked up to. as far down as the headers are unless you look underneath you'll never see them.

That looks like FORD blue.:yankchain: Looking good.:thewave:

The paint is correct for 1975 Cadillac engines, the photo does not show the color shade you see in person. The sample was provided by the re-builder MTS, who gets their paint from Bill Hirsch.

Last edited:
wounder why they painted all the black brackets blue? but that new brake unit sure looks a lot better then it did. they getting your AC hooked up to. as far down as the headers are unless you look underneath you'll never see them.

The brackets and pullies will be re-painted in semi-gloss black. They found some blue overspray on the brackets and mistakenly thought they were originally the same color as the engine. This will be an easy fix.

The badge on the front of it looks like Ferrari. Even if it is a Ferrari, never seen one like that before, its cool.

Beautiful looking engine and everything else. I hope mine looks like that some day :cool:

Here is a photo of the badge. I do not know who the builder was. What I was told was that it was a concept car that was presented at the Milan car show in Italy. It is valued at well over a $1,000,000.

Attachments

• IMG_5520.JPG
    IMG_5520.JPG
    70.5 KB · Views: 225
Last edited:
Here a couple more photos of the concept car.

Attachments

• IMG_5541.jpg
    IMG_5541.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 218
  • IMG_5544.jpg
    IMG_5544.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 220
you can blame me for the over spray. when we did the touch up we did not have everything off. but they should be the same as the semi gloss black on the iner fenders as I recall. the only thing gloss black would have been the air cleaner if I remember right. the Bill Herser should be the right color. it is just getting washed out by the flash

It's an Italian Fiat Abarth concept car...

abarth_110x0w.jpg

Actually Fiat didn't buy Abarth until 1971... so this is an Abarth. Looking for more info on it

Last edited:
Ok I found it. It's officially a 1952 Abarth 1500 Biposto Coupe prototype. Here's a brief writeup:

Standing out from the new models on show at the 34th Turin Motor Show in 1952 was the characterful Bertone coupe built on Fiat 1400 mechanics reworked by Abarth. The style of the Turin bodywork builder shines through, even in this almost excessively original version of the Abarth Coupe. The prototype stands out for its impressive front view, with the third central headlight reaching forward, and for the dynamics of the wheel arches which underline the car's sporty character. The large wrap-around rear windscreen and the interesting profile of the tail fins, which were taken all the way with the B.A.T. experiments (1953-1955) testify to the work which went into the lines of the car, and the focus on innovative elements which work perfectly together.

Here's the site I quoted this from, it has several pictures too.
http://www.allcarindex.com/auto-car-model/Italy-Abarth-1500-Biposto-Coupe

It's been two weeks since I last visited the restoration shop, so I drove down today with fellow PCS member Tom Bellew to take a look at the Criterion. The driveline has been installed, along with the radiator, and alternator.

Attachments

• IMG_5569[1].jpg
    IMG_5569[1].jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 174
  • IMG_5594[1].jpg
    IMG_5594[1].jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 161
  • IMG_5567[1].jpg
    IMG_5567[1].jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 160
Back