1954 Meteor Ambulance

Greetings all

I have stumbled across an interesting little 'ambulette' here in Kamloops, BC. It is a 1954 Meteor in very good original condition. it would appear to be based on a 1954 Ford Sedan Delivery, but carries no Ford badging.

It is a private sale thru a used car dealer, and caught my eye when he had it parked out front of the dealership. I stopped and had a look at it, and it is very basic, right down to the single driver only front seat.

My initial checking indicates that it was a private industrial ambulance, one of a couple that show up on the 1954 and 1956 provincial tax exemption rolls. I still need to try and confirm the VIN and/or Reg numbers to the rolls, but if I am correct this car was purchased new by The Consolidated Mining and Smelting Company of Canada (now Cominco) and may have been use at the Trail BC smelter operation. Where it went during its life after that, not really sure.

As far as a procar goes, it is probably not what most would be looking for. It is a neat classic car and it intrigues me. I am looking to see if anyone on the site has experience with this particular car, and any suggestions for reference materials or sites about Meteor, particularily the time period right before the Miller amalgamation.

Thanks!

Scott, sounds like a neat car. Just want to clarify something for you.

In the 1950's, Meteor was a brand name for Ford cars in Canada. Ford produced Meteor sedans and other cars (similar to Ford's Mercury brand of trucks in Canada). These were Fords with different trim, and the Meteor name spelled out across the hood.

This is different from the coachbuilder Meteor, which built professional cars.

Since Meteor (the coachbuilder) did not produce sedan delivery style ambulances, yours is a Canadian Meteor sedan delivery. Now you'd of course need to find who converted it, though with industrial SD ambulances, it could just as easily have been that they bought a SD and put a cot bar in and a light on the roof themselves and that was it.

Hope that helps a bit. Google "1954 Meteor" and you'll see some pictures.

Did you buy it? You should!

Last edited:
Is this the one? (Of course it must be, how many '54 Meteor SD ambulances can there be?)

Very nice!

DSCF0017.jpg

The front tunnel lights and the sunvisor are way cool. Take note to stock Ford hub caps with what appears Meteor emblems added ala S&S. If it is a stick (three in the tree) add a BW Overdrive and what a great road car. Gas mileage in the mid 20s betcha. I think 1/4 window small vent one is stock Ford rear door of the era. Hope someone can get some interior shots to post.

Hi Steve

That indeed be her. I didn't post the link being a recycled 'noob (I was around here a few years ago) and didn't want to look like I was with the dealer.

Thanks for the great info. My knowledge (what there is of it) is of later procars, as is my area of interest.

This car is interesting, and has a lot of personality (exterior). Unfortunately I think the current owner want more for it than it is worth to me. Not saying it isn't worth the price he may want, it just isn't worth it to me. As an ex-EMA I am more interested in the working side of the car, and for this one it is so basic it doesn't light much of a fire. That and the single front seat makes it pretty unattractive to the wife.

I would really like to see her go to a good home, someone who would keep it in an as is state because it is in such great shape.

Thanks for posting the link, it has a lot of great pic's.

Thank again

Scott: Thanks for the post. That is a very sharp car. Having the local history only adds to it. I hope it eventually in the hands of someone who values its background.

I just noticed that this car has been chatted about previously. There is a thread titled "1954 Meteor Ambulance in Kamloops BC" from back in April 2012. It has a bit more info, including that the owner was at that time wanting $15-$20k. When I was speaking to the dealer, he said the owner is now open to offers.

Regards, Scott

Hi Scott...I was quite interested in that vehicle a few years ago when it came available but the owner really didn't want to budge on his price.

Not sure what he's asking for currently but 15 - 20K would buy you a very nice restored full size pro-car ambulance from one of the major builders of the day (Superior, Miller Meteor, S & S).

Let us know how you make out. Welcome back...I'm on Vancouver Island but get to the Okanagan a few times a year as my parents still live there.

Hi Bill

If you find yourself in Kamloops, coffee is on me! Does Cliff still have his '72 over in Qualicum?

The dealer told me that the owner is now open to offers, thinks maybe $10k might get it. Knowing now it has been there for 2+ years, I would think that he is more motivated. I have corresponded with him and nicely suggested that it is a very nice classic car, but as a procar goes it is probably not as desirable as what else is available in that price range.

For me, if it went to auction I would probably bow out at $5k on it. Not because it isn't necessarily worth more, but because that is what it is worth to me as a procar. Book values are great, but any given thing is only worth the most a cash in hand buyer is willing to pay. I wouldn't have gone near it at the higher, and wouldn't even at $10k. But like I said, that is just me. I just hope it goes to a good home eventually. My interest is in the history of it.

Regards

Scott

Back