Ohio Chapter meet July 2014

Mike Stevens

PCS Member
The Ohio Chapter will meet in Springfield, Ohio July 12, 2014. We will begin our tour with a trip to the Wright B Flyer Inc museum. They have on display a replica of the plane the Wright Brothers used to put us in the air. They also have on display a 1916 Model T Ford that was restored by my father in law.
We should be at the Wright B Flyer Inc by 10:30 AM. They are located at 10550 Springboro Pike, Miamisburg, Ohio. Phone 937-885-2327. No admission charge.
We will then head back to Springfield. After a lunch stop we will go to Grandpa's Garage at 4700 South Charleston Pike/State Rt 41 east of Springfield. Phone 937-324-8448. Grandpa's is an antique mall filled with transportation related items. Cars, trucks, parts, collectibles and memorabilia. No charge unless you buy something.
You can also join us at either of our stops if you can't make the complete tour.
Our last stop will be the Green House. Shelley and I will cater a BBQ supper to end the day. The Green House is at 639 E Euclid Ave Springfield, Ohio 45505. Leaving I 70 at exit 54 head north into Springfield. Stay in the right lane on Limestone St. After the third light go one block and turn right. 639 is six blocks east on the right. Please RSVP by pm on this site, call 937.926.0911or email me at: karmann1946@yahoo.com We would like to have an idea of how many will be here for supper Saturday night. Thank you.
For early arrivals on Friday night July 11 there are several motels at exit 54 off I 70. I have listed them with phone numbers. The Red Roof had the best price per night, $59. The Hampton Inn had the highest price at $124 per night. The others were in between at $69 to $79 per night. Call the motel of your choice for a reservation. All the managers say it would be good to book a room early as July is a busy month for them. Please note that prices could have changed since I last talked to any of the motels.
Ramada Limited 937-328-0123
Motel 6 (formerly Days Inn) 937-717-9335
Super 8 937-324-5501
Hampton Inn 937-325-8480
Red Roof Inn 937-325-5356
Quality Inn 937-323-8631
Fairfield Inn by Marriott 937-323-9554
located at 1870 West First St on the north side of town about 15 minutes from exit 54.
Country Inn and Suites 937-322-2200
located at 1751 West First St on the north side of town.
The Marriott Hotel loacted at 100 South Fountain Ave in downtown Springfield.
No coach, no problem. PCS members from other chapters are welcome to attend this meet too.
We hope to see you here,
Mike and Shelley

Ohio Chapter July 2014 meet

It looks like spring has finally come to the Buckeye state. I went to visit the folks at the Wright B Flyer Inc facility last week. They hope to have the new parking lot finished in time for our visit on July 12, 2014. They said there is also plenty of room at the edge of the flight line in back of the building if we need it. Weather permitting they will be doing fly bys with the 1903 Wright Brothers Model B Flyer replica. They cannot sell rides on the plane as it is rated by the FAA as an experitmental aircraft. They do however have a membership drive that lets new members get a ride on the plane. The membership fee is $100.00. They are looking forward to our visit and want us to have a good time at their facility.
The Wright B Flyer Inc is a non profit organization. The average age of a volunteer is 83 years at this time. For more info go to: wbflyer@dayton.net
From my first test run of this tour the round trip will be about 90 miles. That is broken up into: 45 miles to WBFlyer, 25 miles to lunch, and 20 miles back to Springfield.
Please remember to see the first listing letter about this meet for motel info. Don't forget to get your reservations early as July is a busy time for the hotels in this area. Also don't forget to let us know if you will be here for the BBQ supper on Saturday night. More updates as I get everything set for your arrival.
This tour is open to all PCS members.
Hope to see you here,
Mike

Attachments

• Wright B Flyer Inc building on 741 Miamisburg Oh.jpg
    Wright B Flyer Inc building on 741 Miamisburg Oh.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 513
Last edited:
Just for kicks, because I go for Hilton points (includes Hampton Inns) I checked the Hilton web site directly. I intentionally changed parameters such as AARP member or not (grrrr..... don't laugh) and the price changed, but not as I had expected it to. WITHOUT AARP 1 room at the Springfield Hampton Inn came in as $96/night. WITH AARP, came in at $102. Go figure.

Ohio Chapter meet July 2014 reminder

Greetings from Springfield, Ohio,
This is a reminder to anyone planning on attending the Ohio Chapter July 12, 2014 meet in Springfield. See the post Ohio Chapter meet July 2014 for a list of the local motels. All the inn keepers say to reserve a room early.
Please send a pm or email so we know how many to plan for at this meet. The Wright Flyer Inc would like to have a ball park head count for Saturday morning. Shelley and I will need a figure to plan for the BBQ supper.
PM on this site or email to: karmann1946@yahoo.com
Thank you,
Mike and Shelley

let me know

if Ron D. is coming please let me know so I can go to his house and go shopping. will bring 5-6 enclosed trucks. or just liberate a white Pontiac...and run for the border.

if Ron D. is coming please let me know so I can go to his house and go shopping. will bring 5-6 enclosed trucks. or just liberate a white Pontiac...and run for the border.

Dwayne Brooks was already trying to get that Poncho last weekend. Of course I was trying to get his 74 combo.

July 2014 Ohio Chapter meet Springfield, Ohio

Hope to see you next weekend in Springfield, Ohio for the Ohio Chapter meet. If anyone is interested in air time on a 1903 replica of the Wright brothers plane let me know. The Wright B Flyer Inc cannot sell rides. They do however give a ride to new members of the WBFI. A membership is $100. A flight lasts about 3 minutes I have been told.
If you will be coming to the July 2014 meet let me know. We would like to have a count of cars for the parking area at WBFI. Shelley and I need to know how many will be here for the BBQ. Please see the previous posts about this meet for details.
PM to me on this site or send an email to: karmann1946@yahoo.com or call me at 937.926.0911 9am to 10pm.
Mike

Last edited:
Saturday morning July 12

Meet in the parking lot of the Odd Lot store at the south east corner of Leffel Lane and South Limestone St. in Springfield. This is just through the intersection from the hotels. The Ramada is just beyond the Odd Lot store and parking lot. We will be leaving for the Wright B Flyer Inc from this point at 9 am.
We should arrive at the WBF just after 10 am.
Our lunch stop will be Young's Jersey Dairy at noon.
From Young's we will go to Grandpa's Garage just east of Springfield on St Rt 41at exit 59 off Interstate 70. We may have time for one more stop after the garage. Then to 639 E Euclid Ave in Springfield for a BBQ supper.
You are welcome to join the tour in progress. You can call me for directions at 937.926.0911
Mike55

Wright B Flyer Inc
10550 Springboro Pike
Miamisburg, Ohio 45342
937-885-2327

Young's Jersey Dairy
6880 Springfield Xenia Rd
Yellow Springs, Ohio 45387
937-325-0629

Grandpa's Garage
4700 South Charleston Pike
Springfield, Ohio 45502
937-342-8448
Exit 59 off Interstate 70 east of Springfield. 1/10th of a mile off 70. turn toward the BP station.

Had a Great Day

Mike put on a great day, we had a low turnout and boy they missed out. I missed the Wright exhibit and Jersey Dairy but caught up at Grandpa's Garage. Scored a pay phone for the bar, a first call car and a Segrams 7 pitcher Oh and a Miller Lite Beer bucket. Mike made an interesting purchase. The place is virtual playground for those of us who collect "stuff". Mike's wife put together a great dinner. I have to say it was well worth the trip. Thanks Mike for having us. Also I was hoping Todd would have been there as I owe him 20 bucks.:D

Back