Your two-way radio set up?

Jeremy D. Ledford

PCS Volunteer Chapter President
What are the radio setups in some of your cars? Attached are a few photos of what I have in the 73 M-M combo along with the harness going to it which is cutoff short and terminated just under the dash behind the firewall insulation to give it the look that it is running to the radio unit which would have been under or behind the seat. The radio is a Motorola Mo-Com 70 and the siren setup is a GE Power Call/Siren.

Attachments

• 73 Combo radio set up. 001.jpg
    73 Combo radio set up. 001.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 212
  • 73 Combo radio set up. 005.jpg
    73 Combo radio set up. 005.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 214
  • 73 Combo radio set up. 004.jpg
    73 Combo radio set up. 004.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 213
The next photo is of my ex-girlfreind Medusa's hair do!!!:4_11_9: Actaully it is a photo of the wiring harness all cleaned up ready to install on the backside of the Mo-Com 70 in the combo just to show what it looks like. As I installed the harness I tried to get the numbers on the wire pins matched back to the back of the radio head to.

Attachments

• 73 M-M tech photos 009.jpg
    73 M-M tech photos 009.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 210
Mocom-70

Jeremy: A Mocom 70 would have had a remote mounted box (with all the guts) and heavy cabling most likely to a spot behind or under the seat, or in a space available in the patient area. With the "Standard-Extender" Slide Switch your original system was most likely a Low-Band versus VHF or UHF. MM

The next photo is of my ex-girlfreind Medusa's hair do!!!:4_11_9: Actaully it is a photo of the wiring harness all cleaned up ready to install on the backside of the Mo-Com 70 in the combo just to show what it looks like. As I installed the harness I tried to get the numbers on the wire pins matched back to the back of the radio head to.

I recognize her from Flint!!!!!!!!

What are the radio setups in some of your cars? Attached are a few photos of what I have in the 73 M-M combo along with the harness going to it which is cutoff short and terminated just under the dash behind the firewall insulation to give it the look that it is running to the radio unit which would have been under or behind the seat. The radio is a Motorola Mo-Com 70 and the siren setup is a GE Power Call/Siren.

Jeremy ntalk to Brady about his setup that We Installed. He may have pics of it Including the control box behind the Seat.
Nice Job on Your Setup

Russ

....if you were closer...

If you were closer. Doug House could set it up for you and most likely get it working.

If you were closer. Doug House could set it up for you and most likely get it working.

Boy, that Bill Leverett sure says nice things about me. I must remember to find something really cool for his new-old Cadillac! :thankyou2:

Seriously, I do enjoy working with vintage radios, especially the old Mocom/Motrac styles, and have managed to get my two ambulances talking to each other. Here's a pic of the installation in my '68 Pontiac Superior.

radio1.JPG

You'll notice a slightly more modern HT1000 portable radio in a Converta-Com as well. I know it's not correct circa, but it has my work frequencies in it. Gotta stay in touch....and the guy with the most antennas when he dies....wins! :)

Criterion radio system front/rear

Here are a couple of shots of the Mocom radio system in my '75 Criterion. The siren is not original to the car. It came with a PA-100 which was, unfortunately, damaged beyond immediate repair. However, the PA-20 is correct circa for the car.

radio2.JPG

radio3.JPG

My Criterion may be rusted all to hell, but by gawd, the radios work!!! 4-channel scanning capability plus a 12 watt amplified speaker...brand new! I love Ebay!

My priorities may be a little bent! :stars:

I did actually give it though about fixing the radio to where I could possibly talk to other PCS cars when at meets but from what I understand I'd have to get a FCC licence to do so. But something I am working on is looking for and finding sound clips of ambulance radio traffic and burning them to a CD or creating a MP3 file and hooking a small CD player or an iPod to the Motorola speaker and having the dispach playing during car shows and cruise-ins. Now where can I find and download the radio traffic that I'm looking for? I've tried to download the "Dallas Police Tapes" but haven't been able to do so as of yet.

That would be cool

That's a great idea Jeremy. Someone, somewhere must have some old radio traffic recordings.

The Lifeliner & Criterion

Lifeliner in the rear and then the front.

SCICarShow002.jpg

SCICarShow001.jpg

Criterion front then rear

SCICarShow005.jpg

SCICarShow004.jpg

SCICarShow003.jpg

Nice and clean Jeremy but where is your siren?

I see on the Federal Interceptor it has a radio function. Was this ever used for two way communication?

The "Radio" function on the Interceptor allows your two-way radio incoming signals to be broadcast through the PA speaker, allowing you to monitor the radio while out of the vehicle (but close by). It's not a two-way function, as it allows for listening only. Back in "the good old days", we used to park the ambulance down at the beach and enjoy our lunch in the sunshine, monitoring calls through the PA. A pleasant memory, actually. :)

Hey Doug...and then someone would pull up next to you and key their microphone...the feedback caused your ears to bleed!

Back