Northern Kentucky Pro Cars

Jon VanDermark

PCS Member
I was born in Covington, KY, lived there during my early years, and still visit my relatives there. I found these pictures in the Kenton County Library archives and thought I would link you to them. The link to the archives is http://www.kentonlibrary.org/genphotos/

1971-Phillip Ray Black, owner of Tri-County Ambulance Service serving Boone, Kenton, and Campbell County, Ky.
di04482.jpg

Hebron, KY
di14401.jpg

Cold Spring, KY

di14415.jpg

1969-Covington KY gets a new ambulance. Wonder if they realize the cot is in backwards?
di14429.jpg

Date unknown- Another new rig for Covington.
di14464.jpg

1974- Newport, KY
di14580.jpg

KY Post photograph- date and agency unknown
di33793.jpg

1966- Members of Taylor Mill VFD pose with their 1961 rig
di14604.jpg

Date unknown- Greater Cincinnati Airport (which is actually in Boone County KY)
di22743.jpg

1968- Tornado in Falmouth
di34942.jpg

Date unknown- Dayton VFD demonstrates their new "invalid basket". That's their Asst. Chief strapped into it.
di40365.jpg

1974- Unknown Life Squad
di71552.jpg

Covington KY. My parents went to high school with the Middendorf grandchildren. As far as I know, the family is still in the business.
di100335.jpg

Now the Middenorf-Bulloch Funeral Home
di13331.jpg

Allison and Rose, another old time firm. This is a very impressive building both inside and out.
di15129.jpg

1976- Ovenfork, KY. Scotia Mine (Blue Diamond Coal Co.) disaster. 26 miners were killed. The community was so far up into the hills that the caskets were transferred to pick-up trucks for the trip to the cemetary.
di40605.jpg

di40593.jpg

Date Unknown- Covington KY on Western Ave. Funeral procession of a man who killed his wife and child then took his own life.
kcen00015photo.jpg

Covington-ca 1900. Menniger Funeral Home
kce001388photo.jpg

1967- Newport KY. Vonderhaar and Stetter
di05787.jpg

Date unknown- Covington KY. Jones and Simpson was the "black" funeral home. That's the way it was back then.

di15128.jpg

that new rig for Covington

That new rig for Covington date unknown is from the mid 60s. The rig in the picture is an International Travelall based unit.
Mike

will you do have to admit they at least have him will splinted for 1970s standards. he is on the #11 positioned between the wheels and the legs . it's placed under a back board then on the gurney. no neck restraint no ked and I don't think he is belted to any of the equipment or the gurney. but at least he is not laying in the street anymore. just about as good as it gets for early 70s late 60s. to judge people yesterday by today's standards make one wonder what they will say about us in 50 years. but it's still fun to pick it apart and see how much better things have gotten training wise. if they did not lay him on the 11 were would they have put it in the truck? this ain't Roy and Keith you don't have a crew to pick up the equipment you leave behind. but how did they carry him on the 11 upside down. put it one the back board so it doesn't fold. guess no one knew what the tabs were on the legs and wheels were for. this is what happends if you don't play with your stuff. secont look they do have everthing belted with the gurney belt. I would bet the 11 stayed on the gurney of runs and no one took it off before placing the pt on the board on it.

Very cool pics. My family is from that same area, used to operate Simon & Fischer Oldsmobile in Newport KY. There are some pics out there of hearses making removals after the Beverly Hills Supper Club fire too...some good looking old cars in use at that time.

di22743.jpg

The portable stretcher is upside down.
It's possible that the stretcher is correct, and then they put it on the cot and folded the legs and wheels the opposite direction so they were out of the way. At least, I'll give them the benefit of the doubt and say that's what they are doing.

Jon, is that actually the airport's ambulance? And was it operated by the police? Airport police or municipal police? Inquiring minds want to know.

It's a National Suburban, by the way....

Very cool pics. My family is from that same area, used to operate Simon & Fischer Oldsmobile in Newport KY. There are some pics out there of hearses making removals after the Beverly Hills Supper Club fire too...some good looking old cars in use at that time.

Please post the pictures or links to them...thanks!

Louisville PD Wagons

I don't know if any of you Kentuckians have pictures... but the Louisville Police Dept. ran a fleet of Ford Station Wagons (with a Large "Q" on the RF Fenders) in the mid 60's as first responders, with most all transports from the scenes made by Yellow Cab Ambulance Service based at the (Yellow Cab) Garage in Downtown Louisville. I recall nearly 100% Low-Top Cadillacs being painted a burnt orange color (like Yellow Transit Freight Trucks) with triangular signs painted on the front doors similar to what was used by Yellow Cab except with "Ambulance" added. MM

I only made the note b/c one can clearly see the way the stretcher material wraps around the frame. Indicating that it is upside down. On a side not, if they did leave it on the cot all the time. This would be the ideal position to be able to do so, and raise the head of the cot to a fowlers position.

I don't know if any of you Kentuckians have pictures... but the Louisville Police Dept. ran a fleet of Ford Station Wagons (with a Large "Q" on the RF Fenders) in the mid 60's as first responders, with most all transports from the scenes made by Yellow Cab Ambulance Service based at the (Yellow Cab) Garage in Downtown Louisville. I recall nearly 100% Low-Top Cadillacs being painted a burnt orange color (like Yellow Transit Freight Trucks) with triangular signs painted on the front doors similar to what was used by Yellow Cab except with "Ambulance" added. MM

To my knowledge Yellow cab Ambulance is still in Business.

Russ

Steve,

I believe that would be an Airport ambulance with Airport police officers. If I remember correctly, they were public safety officers at the time and provided police, fire, and ambulance service at the airport.

Yellow Cab Ambulance in Louisville is still in operation as Yellow Ambulance.

Along the lines of police ambulances, here is a picture of the Park Hills Police Department emergency ambul;ance circa 1965. My Dad was a PO there in the late 50's.

scan0009do.jpg

To my knowledge Yellow cab Ambulance is still in Business.

Russ

Russell & Jon: Based on your post(s).... I looked up their website and sure enough "Yellow Ambulance" in still in business in Northern Kentucky and Indiana as is their Yellow Cab Company. According to their history page, the ambulance segment been in operation (continuoisly) since 1928 that's pretty amazing! It went on to say that their parent, Yellow Cab there, started business as "Louisville Carriage Company" in 1893! (*) No fly by nighters! MM

Seeing the "1968- Tornado in Falmouth" photo brought back a good memory. My dad & I were driving our street rods to Knoxville, TN and dad came barreling around me on the freeway... front tire shaking like crazy. We exited at Falmouth KY to deal with the smoked wheel bearing. A gentleman approached us in a restaurant parking lot & said "I've been watching from the window, no sense dealing with that in a parking lot... follow me" he took us to his shop "Country Boy Cycles" and his adjascent auto shop "Country Boy Corvettes". He lent us a bay for free & even provided tools. The man said "Come on boy I want to show you something." I followed him into Country Boy Cycles which he explained had been closed for years, but still fully stocked with Harley parts & vintage bikes.
Here's where it gets real interesting: He showed me two bikes sitting off to the side by themselves. "Ever see anything like that before?" he asked. After some gawking I said "Well the engines look like a Chevy small block sitting sideways" and they were... kinda. He explained they were an experimental engine few have ever even heard of or seen, they were 327 Chevy engines... well the front 2 cylinders! I can't even begin to imagine the machine work involved in milling an 8 cylinder block into a 2 cylinder & making it all work. Will never forget that as long as I live & it's 100% true.
Anyway, the hospitality was amazing & I still think of that guy when reflecting back to roadside horror stories of being stranded. There still are good folks out there willing to lend a hand with a smile.
:myopinion:

I was born in Covington too, but I haven’t escaped yet. If I push the right buttons I’ll attach another picture of the Hebron 49 Caddy ambulance. Your third photo was taken in front of Engine Co. #1 on 6th Street. (As far as I know, it was the only one with a stone arch way- all the others were brick) The woman in the photo is Vera Angel who, depending on the year, was either a commisioner or the Mayor. I’m guessing by the shape of the doors that the ambulance is another International. I didn’t get to Newport much, so I don’t remember those ambulances, but I happened to be at the Newport Fire Department last week. They had on their wall their first apparatus- a 1910 US Motor Truck. As you probbaly know, US Motor Trucks were built by Stewart Iron Works in Covington. Anyone who doesn’t know Northern KY and looks up US Motor Trucks will be confused because most of their ads listed their sales branch office in Cncinnati, Ohio and did not mention that they were a Kentucky company. All manufacturing was done here in Covington.

Your second posting brought back even more memories. I use to work at Boone County Airport where the photo was taken of the white International ambulance with its rear doors open. I remember the Falmouth Tornado and several floods. I wish I could read the name on the side of that Pontiac! In one of those floods the guy across the road from the church camp had about 7 or 8 Packards. They were all lost in the flood, including a couple limosines. In one of your posts you mentined that your father was a PO in Park Hills and posted a photo circa 1965. It has disappeared. Could you possibly post it again or message it to me? Thanks. Okey Spaulding

I still haven't figured how to post pics. I'll be off line for a little while for health reasons. I'll try again when I get back.

Okey, here is to a speedy recovery, and hoping that the health issues are quickly resolved. When you get back, please send me a Private Message, with your telephone number, and I will give you a lesson in picture posting. It should only take about 5 minutes or less to learn how easy it is to post pictures on the website. This educational offer is extended to any other website members in the US that need help. This week, I will be away from February 1 till February 5, but after that I will be available.
Thanks
Paul

you have to be a site supporter to post pictures. it is the only way the site funds it self

We have extended the free picture hosting for a few more months, hoping that once people realize the ease of having their pictures hosted on the website, that they will become Site Supporters.
Do to a glitch in the website, many of our long time site supporters haven't received notices of their site support expiring. Hopefully those faithful supports will once again support our website with their donations. Donations may be done by clicking on the icon in the upper left hand corner of the top of the page, where it says "To Become a Site Supporter Click Here".
Thanks to all for their past and future site support.
Paul, Dan, Robert, & Jerry

Back