Windows out of holder ?

Denny Shira - Deceased - 1951 - 2020

June 5, 1951 - January 29, 2020
My 70 Superior Cadillac has had both windows come loose from the channel that holds them (to raise and lower them) I'm sure that I can do this repair my self.
Can anyone recommend a good source for the material that goes on the bottom of the window and what type of adhesive i should use? Thanks, Denny.

The quick repair is to just put the glass back into the channel, and then to spray it with WD40, which will rejuvenate the original track material. If not, you can usually buy enough from a local glass company. It is called window setting tape, and you fashion it into a "U" shape and insert it into the bottom edge of the glass, then push the glass and the setting tape into the metal channel. Some people put the setting tape in first, and then put the glass into it. Either way will work. Once the setting tape and glass are firmly set into the channel, you would spray it with WD40 to make the tape swell and tighten around the bottom edge of the glass.

If you can push the glass back into the setting tape without removing the inner door panel, you can spray it with WD40 with the cans that have the long tube that flips up. Try this first, since it will save you a lot of work. If you are going to take it apart, make sure to spray each nut on the regulator with some white paint, so it will mark the exact location, for when you have to put it back together. This will save you a lot of trial and error of getting the adjustment correct. Also, if you don't take it apart, the glass will go back exactly in the same place it was originally installed at the factory before they adjusted the regulator and tracks. If you take it out, it is doubtful that you will get it back exactly in the same place in the lower channel, so you will need to adjust the regulator for the new position of the glass in the channel. Sometimes it is best left for the glass guys that know how to do this job, and get in and out quickly. Just find a glass company that has some older guys that have worked on crank windows in the past.
Also, be very careful not to break the glass, since it is curved, and it is hard to find, and expensive when you do find it.

if your going to try the wd-40 tricks take the trim pad off and expose what you can see. you might get lucky and it falls right into place or you might just peal it off one side and wad it up with a blind stab. my experience with pro cars is they are sloppy. you need to be able to guide the glass back into the track.

the other way is to peal out the old felt, cork rubber or just rubber I seen them all and fill the Chanel with urethane and slid the glass down. I have gotten away with just silicone but once it starts to let go it goes all the way.

or your going to just have to tear it down and put in new stuff. Rubber the right way has it in stock. they seam to be able to ship faster if you do the phone call.

Attachments

• IMG_1796.jpg
    IMG_1796.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 140
  • IMG_1749.jpg
    IMG_1749.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 146
Back