Rhinecliff updates

The ~1964 photo of the ambulance from Post #23, shows what I was previously told existed on the front bumper - a sign with the Dutchess County Ambulance & First Aid Association. This association was one of the first standards-producing groups, and developed an early "EMT" curriculum.

I got in touch with a company that makes custom license plate toppers and had a few made up with the logo. (I suspected they didn't shell out the cash for a cast sign.) From the ~1964 photo, and what I was told - it was most likely one of these with the "stick" bent 90 degrees due to how low the "lollipop" is compared to the headlights. Not also the rub marks on the lip behind the hole in the bumper - not consistent with just a metal screw/post. I think it turned out nice enough, wasn't too expensive either. Now to bend it right and not damage it...

Attachments

• BumperHole.jpg
    BumperHole.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 546
  • Sign.jpg
    Sign.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 537
The car was listed to carry two resuscitators when placed in service in 1963. An article from 1961 revealed that two Stephensons (fully equipped) were purchased by the Rescue Squad.

The two doors on the large cabinet on the passenger side are too small to accommodate any resuscitator. (http://www.professionalcarsociety.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=28802&stc=1&d=1438313153) While usually the resuscitator storage area, it is apparent that cabinet was at least primarily only for fire suppression. The bench seat being the only other place they would fit - placement of the two there would preclude storage of the listed PortoPower set, at least if it was in its case.

So, I guess this may best explain what the unusual, folding shelf was for... In the 1980s, they used it to hold linen - but it's too sturdy for such a mundane task, and obviously purpose-built. It is visible in the factory photographs, and was not a later addition.

Attachments

• Resuscitators.jpg
    Resuscitators.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 460
Last edited:
Where did they store the E&J Resuscitator???

E&J? Oh... Hmmm. Perhaps you mean the Airco Emergikit II that came with the car from Dr. Levy that you also kept!?!?! :eek: http://www.professionalcarsociety.org/forums/showthread.php?t=177

While the Emergikit trademark dates from late 1957, the Rhinecliff Rescue Squad did a "hard-hitting drive" for funds in 1959 and obtained two Stephenson Minuteman resuscitators in January, 1960. The Rhinebeck Gazette article was very specific that the Squad felt it worthwhile to also purchase the 25' extension hose feature for extrication, etc.

Considering that contemporary resuscitators were around $400-800 each - and Rhinecliff actually couldn't even afford to buy its new ambulance in 1963 - my guess is they didn't toss the Stephenson's when they were still state of the art. My guess is they bought the Emergikit sometime much later. Dr. Levy said he didn't recall using it in the 1970s at least. Maybe you can read off the dates on the taped-on cylinder fills log? :p

Attachments

• MVC_001_L.jpg
    MVC_001_L.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 403
Also offered in similar fashion from Eureka, M-M, the "Rescue Cabinet" in the former Rhinecliff Rescue 1 is quite interesting, and one of the more often remarked upon features.

The car is fairly early to have a Rico suction unit, and also has a Hupp fan on the opposite edge. Over time, it's become clear the far left compartment held a Q oxygen cylinder, and the far right (two doors, same compartment) primarily held two large extinguishers. (See earlier posts). The drawer set was clearly for various first aid supplies. The two central compartments have been somewhat of an enigma - as they have a single fold-down door each. Each of the two stacked compartments is a spacious 11.5" wide by 14" tall with a luxurious 18.5" of depth. The depth is indeed the puzzling aspect. I recently picked up a Kennedy toolbox painted as a first aid kit (similar to the one pictured in 1970s S&S ads) and the thought occurred to me to check the size. Fits pretty well. Thoughts?

I recently also found a nice Model 26 "One-Man" ambulance cot of appropriate vintage to replace the one missing from this vehicle. Later Model 26's and 27's had a fold-down rear area similar to more modern cots. Prior to 1968 or so, they had large forward wheels and did not fold. I was quite excited to dig one up in nice shape, with 1962 dating and Ferno Mfg tag even! Sadly enough, it's just barely too wide... After a thorough cleaning and replacement of the missing rubber end-caps for the "pegs" at the foot-end, turns out they didn't fit in the holes provided by our friends in Rhinecliff in 1963. Some brief research with a contemporary Ferno-Washington catalog indicates that while 22" was the standard width - 20" was available. That explains it! Guess I'm in the market again...

Interesting factoid - the Model 27 "One-Man" cot for low-headroom application is 24" as its sole offered width. I suppose because of the extra width needed to allow for the entire central portion of the cot to articulate to bring the middle/lower areas down when the head portion is raised.

Attachments

• 63PinnerChrysler3.jpg
    63PinnerChrysler3.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 335
  • 2016-09-19 17.53.25.jpg
    2016-09-19 17.53.25.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 339
  • 2016-09-19 18.01.52.jpg
    2016-09-19 18.01.52.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 340
Those following the car might recall discussion last year about what siren was original to this vehicle, detailed at http://www.professionalcarsociety.org/forums/showthread.php?t=17283 A Federal SA24 electronic speaker was present with Paul Steinberg got the car, and he installed a Model 28 direct-drive electromechanical siren and later a Model 76 "DoubleTone" coaster siren. My wife disliked the "DoubleTone" sound and Paul was kind enough to put the Model 28 back in the car prior to sending it to me.

Jack/Tom Pinner recalled a Q1B siren was original and noted that most of their vehicles (particularly those sold to Fire Departments) were equipped with the Q1B. However, there was surely not room for that behemoth. A 4-hole mounting plate was present, however an extra hole to accommodate the 2-hole pedestal base typical of the 28/76/C4B was also there. Who drilled the "extra" hole is a fuzzy question, and after examination of the SA24 siren it appears it might have been RVFC or Pinner after all.

I ordered a C4B from a vendor, and it unfortunately arrived too late for the 2015 PCS Meet in Houston. It was missing its brake and front cover, having apparently been modified from a C5 siren. The siren (and vendor) had some issues, and I am very glad fellow PCS member Kevin O'Connell was willing to fix it and had the missing parts. Due to the four hole-positioning the siren very close to the the radiator and any space present soon to be eliminated by the proper front cover, - I elected to return to the 2-hole positioning for safety, at the very least. There is a Q1 style 4-hole base for the C4 series floating out there according to Kevin, but I've yet to see it. Maybe one day in the future we'll consider it.

It was quite disappointing that when this beautiful siren arrived - the grille wouldn't fit into place! Apparently I was off by 1/8"! After review of the grille's mounting position and the mounting plate itself - I noted the plate was bent downward just slightly towards the grille. It's possible it got a bit mangled in position when the front end was repaired after an on-duty accident in the 1970s (noted by black paint in that area). Some less than delicate "bending" and the plate appears straight and the C4B and grille fit with a good 1/8" space now. Now to just connect the brake wire...

Couldn't be more satisfied with Kevin's work. (Ignore the tiny chip on the brake cover - I did that...)

Attachments

• 2016-10-30 19.13.37.jpg
    2016-10-30 19.13.37.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 235
  • 2016-10-21 15.00.41.jpg
    2016-10-21 15.00.41.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 235
  • 2016-11-05 18.36.48.jpg
    2016-11-05 18.36.48.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 234
Nick,
You mentioned that "The siren (and vendor) had some issues". What were the issues and who was the vendor??

Nick,
You mentioned that "The siren (and vendor) had some issues". What were the issues and who was the vendor??

Appreciate the question. Details with the vendor in question, similar to what occurred with me, have been well publicized on the PCS and SPAAMFAA Facebook pages, as well as the eLightbars forum. I'd prefer not to derail the thread with that rather frustrating situation.

All have been warned multiple times by the many who have attempted to deal with him! I will never understand why people continue to try to deal with Joe Dorgan.

Last edited:
I'd been having increasing difficulty with the Chrysler starting. It took increasing effort to get the vehicle to start, and by August - the car would stall out if left at idle. The carburetor was quite obviously leaking fuel. I replaced the gasket, but minimal improvement. I chose to send the Carter AFB to Custom Rebuild Carburetors (found them in the Recommended Vendors subforum)- and was quite happy with the result. Looks great, and all problems resolved.

Attachments

• 2016-10-20 15.29.00.jpg
    2016-10-20 15.29.00.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 256
  • 2016-10-20 15.49.17.jpg
    2016-10-20 15.49.17.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 260
Problem is todays "Corn Gas" is killing vintage fuel system parts. To say nothing of the modern cars. Went to start and move my 89 Caprice Penna State Police car the other day the second electric fuel pump is killed by this crap. Pump three years and 200 miles old.

It's been said before in the PCS, but rings true - "It's only right once." Boy, sometimes these simplest things can get way too hard...

This ambulance originally came with a specially shortened version of the familiar Model 30 "two-man" cot from Ferno-Washington. Jack Pinner picked it up in Ohio on the way to Rhinecliff, and it was held in place with a standard F-W Model 1 cot bracket as seen in the factory photos. Once it arrived in May 1963, the car was not officially put into service until Oct 1963 in order for the Rescue Squad to equip the vehicle as they wished. During the process, the Ladies Auxiliary raised funds for the acquisition of a Model 26 "One-Man" cot, which was installed with the infrequently seen Model 7 "Quick-Lock" fastener in time for the dedication ceremony. Paul Steinberg didn't have the benefit of the news articles I found on the car that I had, thought this was a later (1970s/1980s) addition and had removed the cot and floor mounts from the car when he owned it.

I reinstalled a floor plate this past week after kindly being provided one by Dan Scully, the "hook" apparatus was already in my possession. As noted in post 65, I was very excited to find a great condition Model 26 (So new, even the paper "One Man" label is still present/intact!) that was 1962 vintage - but I found to be 2" too wide for the post cups. The 1963 F-W Catalog shows that the Model 26 was available in both 22" and 20" widths - but it's now apparent that the length on the original was also shorter than my "full-size" Model 26 by a few inches. The front wheel of my Model 26 overlaps the front plate by a few inches, and there is no way to adjust the cot or hook to account for this. Trust me, I certainly killed some time on that topic! The wheel just gets in the way. Review of a photo of the original Model 26 from the car (first photo courtesy the seller of my cot, next one courtesy of Ed Renstrom who had the former Rhinecliff cot for a little while) shows the length is "missing" from the curved area at the head end of the cot and the wheels oriented the other way. This would allow for the hook/clamp to mount properly with the wheels rearward of the floor plate.

Interesting setup, learned a bit about the device and friction is holding the cot in place for now! If anyone knows where I may find one of these "junior" Model 26's - I'd be thrilled to trade or buy. Onward and forward, always something fun to do! :)

Attachments

• Floor Hook 2.jpg
    Floor Hook 2.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 184
  • Floor Hook.jpg
    Floor Hook.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 177
  • 2016-11-30 23.59.10.jpg
    2016-11-30 23.59.10.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 176
  • Ferno Model 26.jpg
    Ferno Model 26.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 600
From your picture I'm betting you can reverse the wheels. It's most likely what they did to get it to fit. As I recall bring good they had to keep one jump seat down with it.

And now I know what that thing is I almost threw away.Thanks

Dan - Thanks again!

From your picture I'm betting you can reverse the wheels. It's most likely what they did to get it to fit. As I recall bring good they had to keep one jump seat down with it.

Ed - It's possible that all that needs to be done is to reverse the wheels. Hard to tell from the photo of the original - but could be! We do know it's 2" narrower.

As to the jump seat - it is a tight squeeze, but even if just the wheels reversed - the seat will flip up OK. When using a Model 32 cot and Model 1 cot bar like Paul had in there (and I initially did), it brings the cot forward to about 6" from the door. The genius of the Model 7 setup is that it allowed them to put the full-size cot almost to the rear door. With the last-minute change in cabinetry size, they were dealing with a matter of inches to work with. I'll probably still choose to keep the jump seat down primarily because it applies pressure to the linoleum and has already made an indent.

If I don't find a correct one in some period of time - there is a world-renowned aluminum fabrication/welding shop 10 minutes from me who I'm sure could "fix" this one.

Last edited:
most likely the narrow is only in the pegs I don't recall it being any narrower then the 30s I had here but don't remember trading mattresses. if it was 2 inched narrower you would have though a man would have noticed that. funny how fast those crutch tips brake threw. you place a thin washer in them first they will not do that.

Back