paint problems

John ED Renstrom

PCS Member
Super Site Supporter
this 58 is a hard one to paint in that it doesn't have a flat panel on it. in truth it's not weather you have a problem it's weather it leaves the shop with one. when we painted it we had the back side agents the bank wall. in hindsight we should've flipped it around. but we ended up with a metallic flop on the on the right fin and in the rear of the car. the fin was a case of treating it as a flat panel . as the panel faded away the gun was at a greater distance to in the rear then the front. apparently my motion was the same each pass. as I came around to the left I squared up at the molding and didn't have the problem. the back door and surrounding panels was a case of trying not to get a run. so I did not load up all the nooks and crannies. so that's my story and I'm sticking to it :rolleyes:

here are the pictures while I was putting on the moldings. you could really see it as the sun moved around the windows. the flash picture catches the lack of reflection back to you and you can see the gray sealer in the back. we have enough trim back on to break it up and the paint is starting to cure. it's a warm day and the time was right all we needed to do was blend in where we messed up. the panel is sanded with 600 and you keep your blend in your sand scratches. then in a day or two you sand it all with 1500 and buff. been a lot easier if I had payed attention the first time but who is going to know. I'll never tell.

Attachments

• IMG_1016.jpg
    IMG_1016.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 248
  • IMG_1142.jpg
    IMG_1142.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 242
  • IMG_1087.jpg
    IMG_1087.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 240
  • IMG_1144.jpg
    IMG_1144.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 245
  • IMG_1143.jpg
    IMG_1143.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 243
  • IMG_1146.jpg
    IMG_1146.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 245
  • IMG_1148.jpg
    IMG_1148.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 257
  • IMG_1149.jpg
    IMG_1149.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 248
the first 3 shots you see the flop .you view it one direction it good, the other it appears as a thin spot though there is the same amount of paint on the panel. the left rear did not show up until I repainted the back door before putting the licence plate back on. here is that spot after spotting in.

now had we been shooting base clear nothing would have showed up till we got the clear onto it. which would have given more complications. but you repair the damage the same way. I learned to spot in doing used cars for a dealer. you never wanted to paint a whole panel unless you changed one. then you would blend the adjacent panel. the man I was doing cars for was color blind. all he could see on the lighter shades was gray tones. he also started out as a body man. hard to get one he could not see the blend on but we learned.

Attachments

• IMG_1150.jpg
    IMG_1150.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 250
In the old days, when cars were painted with a brush, this was never a problem. Ed, you are just going to go to the next level, and build yourself a building with a paint booth in it. The car is still looking good!

the big advantage off the booth is the lighting. the lights down low enough to light the lower reaches. but I have seen colors that would match in the booth and not out side. gold is one that will reflect will in a artificial light but look green in the sun. you want a real challenge try painting under a mercury vapor light. we have all seen those cars that look good in the daylight but with street lights shows a multitude of different colors.

the best thing to do is have good equipment and a good place with the magic 70 deg temp and 70% humidity that the paint is engineered to to flow and dry correctly at. but it's rare day that combination comes along.

Two-Tone

Ed, Just a thought - You may wish to keep your masking tape handy and do the two-tone job the same way Eureka did...

The top/roof color should extend into the top half of the rear door down to the belt-line molding, around the corner windows, into the rear door jamb and the inside top half of the rear door.

Here's a few pics of Eureka two-tones -

that was how I understood them to be standard braking point. the decision to do two colors came after the interior was in, the door all ready jammed and the weather strip in. then we were not sure that we would like it.so wanted to get enough on to get the feel but not make it a lot of work to go solid with it. it's one of the things I'll reserve till I can set down over coffee with Virgale.doing the top half and the james or leaving it like a later in life two tone or make it all blue will be his call. easy enough to do it either way.

but the point in making the post was to show how to correct a minor problem before it goes out the shop. no reason to be afraid to try to paint it yourself if your inclined as any problems are easy to correct.

Back