Criterion gone to hell!

Man does my heart skip a beat when looking at this monster. Appears very very rough but anything is possible with time and money, mostly money. I snagged this from another site and not sure where it is possibly in PA.
Anyone have any leads and is it possible to restore?

Richard

3465739327_375bf0defd_b.jpg

I know where it is, and Terri is offering me a lot of money not to tell you. What amount are you offering for the information? :rolleyes:

taint noting at all. get drop it off 10 and your lifliner it will be new again. ;)
you keep the stuff in the back of yours and throw in the old tires.

I've seen this one before and if my memory is correct, it is in Milton, PA which is about the middle of the state just south of Williamsport.

What I find the most interesting about this ambulance is the lights on the front fenders. I haven't seen it done like that before and it looks odd to me. I like the look... it's just odd.

I have a picture of a CB done that way to. I would think it would be hard to drive at night. with the lights flashing you eyes. but maybe the pointy end of the grimes light is dark

Attachments

• 1974 CB Dykstra.jpg
    1974 CB Dykstra.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 427
Oh no!

This was the last thing I expected to see in this condition. This very car was my beloved 1974 Criterion that I bought from Garfield County Ambulance Service in Jordan, Montana ca. 1994. Those of you who attended the 1998 PCS Meet in Burr Ridge, IL remember that I displayed this car along with 3 other '74 Criterions owned by friends of mine. (Shown in photo, second from left.)

I just spoke with Paul Stenberg, who confirmed the location as being that of the person I sold the car to 10 years ago.

The up-side is that I only sold the car to further my education, so the money I got for it was put to good use. I never imagined I'd see the car "thrown out" like this.:(

Attachments

• 4Criterions.jpg
    4Criterions.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 413
What a shame to see a coach that looked fantastic only 10 years ago in this condition today. I never understood how people can buy a classic such as this & leave it sit outside & rot away. There's a guy around the corner from my parent's house in New Albany who was a big shot at Budweiser in Columbus, he bought up show cars back in the 1980's... long story short they're ALL sitting in his driveway & yard rotting away. Included in his collection is a chopped 1950 Mercury lead sled, 1940 Ford (50's custom), model A streetrod, and several others... sitting outside in ROWS! My heart drops every time I pass. If you stop he'll yell at you, but i'm going to anyway & take some pix before getting ran off! Sounds like Richard is on a quest for this Criterion! Good luck with a possible purchase?

What I find the most interesting about this ambulance is the lights on the front fenders. I haven't seen it done like that before and it looks odd to me. I like the look... it's just odd.

Opps, I did not read all the posts and see Ed said the same thing.

One would think it might be a bit difficult to drive with emergency lights flashing that are mounted on the front fenders!

Richard

Could this be the same Criterion

Looking at Walt's book could the one pictured on the cover be the same Criterion that has gone to hell!

Richard

51q6kA01WpL.jpg

Guess I was so distraught when I made my first post, I gave inaccurate information about the fleet photo. My (former) car...this car...is the second front right as you're looking at the picture.

It is the same car pictured on the cover of Walt's book. That photo was taken within minutes of the fleet shot.

I am currently attempting to contact the gentleman I sold the car to...

As for the hood-mounted Grimes lights; those came off of a 1974 Lifeliner (one of two custom-ordered by Murphy Ambulance Service in St. Cloud, MN.) When the cars were in service, a few strips of black tape was used on the rear inner ends of the lenses, eliminating the "lights in the driver's eyes at night" problem. Since I never drove the car at night with the reds on, I never worried about covering the rear part of the lenses.

Guess I was so distraught when I made my first post, I gave inaccurate information about the fleet photo. My (former) car...this car...is the second front right as you're looking at the picture. It is the same car pictured on the cover of Walt's book. That photo was taken within minutes of the fleet shot.

I thought so. The color kind of gave it away. Best of Luck Tony!

Richard

you guys are giving up on it way to soon. truth is one would have to go look at see what was there or not. if it is still a running car with the interior in decent shape glass is all there. then it's fix a little rust and paint it. granted it's a little more then you did on the lifeliner but not much on more on the out side. most of what your looking at is heavy surface rust. the bottom edge of the center door is rusted out but the quarters look OK as does the fender and hood what you can see. no I think it would be a steel at 100 bucks to 1000. if you wanted it. you could turn around a sell the lights off it for that.

There is another coach on ebay right now in Pembroke Massachusetts, which also I believe is a Miller-Meteor, and it too is in bad shape. It's a shame. The one in Pembroke is about an hour from me.

What a shame.

I remember that car from Burr Ridge. What a shame. It is all there so it could be saved but it is not a car for the faint of heart.

Oh, that really is a shame. It was nice to see that car when it was Tony's in Burr Ridge. Amazing that the years have taken such a toll on it.

Back