1949 to 54 Chevy and Pon sedan deliveries

thanks for resurrecting this old thread. just some thought on it. we have settled on my 53 being a Armbruster. the key factors were the 5 stripes on the glass and the tunnel lights. I have only seen 2 other ambulances with the same tunnel lights as my 53. both were unlabled as to builder. one the 57 GMC panel and the other a short 54 chevy sedan delivery. I could match up the 54 with a flyer from Armbuster in 54. I do not know where the 57 is right now but the 54 is in Lenny Langlois collection. finding 3 rigs with the same features shows a number were make like that. being able to match one of them up with a advertising from the company cinches the deal. Armbruster has them labeled as a utility ambulance

Attachments

• 1954 armbruster (2).JPG
    1954 armbruster (2).JPG
    63 KB · Views: 574
  • 1954 armbruster.JPG
    1954 armbruster.JPG
    62.2 KB · Views: 542
  • 1954 Armbruster-Chevrolet Amb 1.jpg
    1954 Armbruster-Chevrolet Amb 1.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 645
  • 1953 lights.jpg
    1953 lights.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 503
Ironic that this thread just resurfaced today because while researching information for an article I’m working on I was given this rare never before published image of (2) 1954 long wheelbase Superior Pontiac ambulances.

Notice the ambulance on the left has the rear quarter panel window blocked out.

These two ambulances were purchased new in 1954 by Acme Livery Service in Kansas City MO.

Assisting me with the research both Walt McCall and Tom McPherson were able to provide the following information on these two ambulances which along with this photo will be included in the article.

Cars3-c_zps94a196eb.jpg

Again my special thanks to both Walt & Tom for all their help and their continued assistance with all the rare images I continue to send them and their amazing ability to identify each of the vehicles and the history behind them.

Walt McCall - Pair of 1954 Superior-Pontiac long-wheelbase ambulances. Superior began building Pontiac's at its Mississippi bus plant in 1953

Tom McPherson - This car on the left is a rather rare Pathfinder model. This was an inexpensive version of the standard Pontiac Regency which was developed at the end of the 1954 model year. Originally intended for South American export markets, the Pathfinder ambulance was a significantly de-contented version of the Model 2546 ambulance. They were made available for domestic consumption after dealers found out that they were available and demanded the opportunity to have access to this entry-level offering for sale in North America. The car on the right is a "standard" model 2546 ambulance. In 1954, Superior produced 195 Pontiac-based professional cars of which 47 (or 23.6%) were ambulances.

neither of these were built on the sedan delivery chassis. as 53 was the last year for it for pontiac. thee started live as either a stationwagon or a convertible. there is still some debate as to which was used.

but thanks for posting them can't have to many picture of original cars.

neither of these were built on the sedan delivery chassis. as 53 was the last year for it for pontiac. thee started live as either a stationwagon or a convertible. there is still some debate as to which was used.

but thanks for posting them can't have to many picture of original cars.

Ed,

Thanks for pointing that out that the image I posted above of the two 1954 Superior Pontiac's were not Sedan delivery chassis as I’m still learning and have a long way to go. I wonder if there is any correlation with the fact 1953 was the last year for the Pontiac sedan deliveries to be made if it was any coincidence that it was the first year Superior began building their Pontiac based vehicles at the Mississippi plant as Walt pointed out. Maybe Ambulances before were also based on wagons and convertibles but again I’m still learning all the details.

I guess to the untrained eye or to those like me who really don’t know their Pontiac’s very well in these 1953-54 year models that the sedan delivery and a wagon conversion look very similar. When I saw the Acme ambulance posted on the previous page I thought to myself they sure look similar in body and length.

If anything this exchange here between you and I regarding these not being sedan delivery chassis might also help educate others who might read this thread. I have to admit it’s an interesting difference between sedan deliveries and wagon based ambulances and the key word which I apparently missed was “delivery” which I’m assuming meant the vehicles started out not having any windows on the side and were cargo haulers and not passenger cars.

A side note, what is the technical term used for ambulances or funeral cars based on the Chevy / GMC truck chassis? Would these be panel vans or truck deliveries? I ask because I’m really not up on these truck based vehicles of the 50’s -60’s

Here is a picture of such a truck based ambulance I’m asking about. I’m not sure of the year model or what it’s technically referred to. Thanks for your input

truckdisplay2_zps23e24dca.jpg

1953 was the last year for the Pontiac sedan delivery. What the builders were using in 1954 is a mystery that could be solved by checking the Pontiac serial plate on a surviving car. Then comparing these with other plates from surviving cars of other coachbuilders we may be able to find out what platform (sedan, wagon or convertible) each was using. I know for a fact that starting in 1955, Superior received convertible chassis from Pontiac which they lengthened and used for these coaches. I believe that this was the proceedure from 1955 till the end of the Superior-Pontiac range. Photos of these "special" Pontiac chassis can be seen in McPherson's Superior book on page 213. Still, it would be interesting to know what the various coachbuilders were using to build these Pontiac coaches in 1954.

all we are about is education not one one ups man ship. same as the rest here. knowledge is only good if it's shared and we all learn something every day if we chose to. posting pictures of a original car at anytime any place is always welcome. the cars get so modified over the years that to have a original pictures is a treasure. the sedan delivery was used by a number of companies some like national even modified the roofs if customers wanted to. why the chevy was not as popular as the pontiac is a mystery most of us will never know. but most all the smaller builders stop when the line was dropped.

When the Big 7 manufacturers were having a tough time filling demand for new vehicles in the immediate post-war period, a number of new firms began converting Chevrolet and Pontiac sedan deliveries into hearses and ambulances. As most of you are aware, this was a cottage industry in and around Memphis. New, up-start firms such as Barnette, Memphis, Economy, Weller, Pinner, Acme and National all began by producing such vehicles. Even Meteor and Eureka offered Pontiac and Chevrolet sedan delivery conversions. However, when Pontiac discontinued this body configuration at the end of 1953, you've gotta wonder what platform some of these builders (Barnette, National, Memphian, etc.) were using for their Pontiac-based offerings. Chevrolet produced a sedan delivery through the 1958 model year. For funeral directors, a Pontiac had a little more class or up-market prestige than did a Chevrolet and, despite costing a few dollars more, the Pontiac was always more popular for funeral car work.

Ed - why the chevy was not as popular as the pontiac is a mystery most of us will never know.

Keith - For funeral directors, a Pontiac had a little more class or up-market prestige than did a Chevrolet and, despite costing a few dollars more, the Pontiac was always more popular for funeral car work.

From what I found out over the years the Pontiac model was much more popular than the Chevrolet models, in both funeral vehicles and ambulances, due to all the extra "butter" on the Pontiacs. The cascading "waterfall" down the hood and rear door, grill design and a number of other items. The Pontiacs possessed more perceived prestige due to appearance. In both industries it was somewhat all about appearances to the public, like many things - shiner was better. Both were good vehicles however.

My 1.5 cents (due to inflation)

Sedan Delivery

Chevrolet produced a sedan delivery through the 1958 model year.

60 Is the last year for the Chevy sedan delivery as long as you do count the Vega sedan delivery,s. :eek:

Great looking coach Bud! Have you been able to clean it up and get it on the road? Any additional pictures would be appreciated.

Was it an Alberta coach?

In the past 20 years I have managed to do the following to this hearse...

1995 or earlier I told my grandfather how much I loved that car sitting in his yard

1999 he passed away and willed it to me
2000 it drove 2 km to my father's junk yard

2014 it made the journey home with me to Calgary, Alberta

2015 I have started to clean and look at stuff, and am excited to begin work on getting this beast on the road.

It will be a long project, likely years, but I am only 32 now so still have some time.

sounds about like the progress I have made on mine. do have all most all the chrome ready and a few things bought for it. the best way to jump start a project is to drag it out and give it a bath. the get some good pictures of it.

Excellent vehicle, Bud. Thanks for the pics. Look forward to seeing the progress.

Word of warning:
Don't let Ed Renstrom anywhere near the rear tail lights chrome.:yum:

Back