My 1966 chrysler town and country Ambulance

All the fernos had the same spacing between the hook and the latch. Are all that were set up for side mount that is. Most of the wagon conversion used the 32. As it had the dropped basket when the head end was raised. The auto load set like the 54 would leave a lot of marks on that tailgate.

I'll have to measure the distance on Monday as I'm working till then in Bathurst and it's in moncton. I'll let you guys know.

The Model 1 was the only option from F-W available at that time for side-mounting. The Model 2/3 are the same thing with either both floor-mounted hardware or one floor and one side-mounted. The distance between sets of holes isn't relevant - with small changes it's the same product for approx. 20 years. If the car were older - or perhaps someone used "leftovers," it's possible the Washington Mortuary equivalent could've been used - the bracket/bar are slightly different based on generation. A final and less common option is Baumgardner - which was still producing product up to at least 1964.

The low-headroom cots at that time were the Model 21L (single-level, "two-man"), Model 54L (two-level, "two-man"), Model 32 (Multi-level X-frame, "two-man") and Model 27 (Two-level, "One-Man"). Of course, folks didn't always follow the "book" and could've used the regular height cot equivalents despite having a low-headroom vehicle. I think for 1966 with side-mount hardware obviously having been present - the most likely would've been a Model 32.

Congrats on your purchase. As far as I am aware, you have the second Chrysler-branded ambulance from the time period that survives today.

Thanks bud, I appreciate it. Looking forward to working on it after winter. Mostly all I have to do is get the interior sorted out and it will be pretty good. I'd like to try and go to the PCS meet:)

We would like to see it there :applause:

Hey there guys. Heres a small update in regards to the 66 ambulance. I did find a strecher bar, horns and a whole other strecher. They were on an 80s ambulance but will be better than nothing. I Also found the following picture describing how Ballyntine built their ambulances. Can't wait for winter to be over so I can start getting her ship shape
nCQDLcy.jpg

Last edited:
Didn't have good copy to work with, so even though it is a little blurry, it can be read.

Attachments

• chrysler (820 x 960).jpg
    chrysler (820 x 960).jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 376
Update 08/05/18

Thought I would give you guys an update on what I've been doing to the ambulance. I ordered a new master cylinder and brake related parts so I can get the big girl to stop. I should be getting those installed next week. After looking at the holes in the interior of the car, I manufactured some brackets to mount my strecher bar to.
20180507_174513.jpg

20180508_202426.jpg

It is very solid and works great. My mocom radio arrived so I mounted it as well. Still needs to be wired.
20180508_202411.jpg
The last two things I need to fix before it's on the road is the spare tire pan as it is rusted through, and I need a new carburetor. Il probably go with a 600cc edelbroch as if had lots of issues with hollys recently. Anyway. That's all for now. I'll update you when I get those things done.
20180508_205659.jpg

Ps. What is this black canvas with straps for? Looks strecher related.
url])

Clay,

Forgive me for what may be a silly question- but the pictured/circled holes here are for a standard mounting bracket for the F-W Model 1 cot bar you have installed. You can see the outline remaining from where it used used to be. Was there some reason the brackets couldn't be used? I've attached the cot fasteners page from the 1963 F-W "Full Line" catalog for reference.

The black nylon pictured appears to be some form of "hasty litter," but I cannot say for sure. I would suspect more mortuary in nature than EMS - but could be either.

Attachments

• 20180508_202426.jpg
    20180508_202426.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 342
  • 2017-01-28 11.51.52.jpg
    2017-01-28 11.51.52.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 690
Clay,
The F-W Model 1 mounting brackets that Nick described are a common bracket and readily available. I probably have 8 pair of them, if you are unable to find them elsewhere. Were the home-made black brackets with the car when you got it?

you would look correct with a set of slides on your rack. then of course all the nuts go in the inside to keep from hurting your self but defiantly moving in the right direction. if you cant find a s let of the flat bar mounts I should have a extra set here I can send you. but good job of engineering that rack to hold the bar.

Clay,

Forgive me for what may be a silly question- but the pictured/circled holes here are for a standard mounting bracket for the F-W Model 1 cot bar you have installed. You can see the outline remaining from where it used used to be. Was there some reason the brackets couldn't be used? I've attached the cot fasteners page from the 1963 F-W "Full Line" catalog for reference.

The black nylon pictured appears to be some form of "hasty litter," but I cannot say for sure. I would suspect more mortuary in nature than EMS - but could be either.

Yes, I do believe that they had some sort of mechanism that bolted in those holes. Unfortunately, when I mounted it originally to the same holes, it was too low to grab the side of the strecher. I had to make the brackets because I had to go above the sidewalk of the car as it was too low as well. I will have to get shorter bolts but I think I'll keep the twist on nuts for easy removal. I see in the picture you included that there is a style of strecher bar that folds up. That would be ideal for me. Anyways, that was my method behind the madness.

Unfortunately, when I mounted it originally to the same holes, it was too low to grab the side of the strecher. I had to make the brackets because I had to go above the sidewalk of the car as it was too low as well.

Is this to accommodate the #30 cot seen in earlier photos?

Based on the original mounting holes, your car likely had a #54-L or a #32 when in service.

The Model 1 was the only option from F-W available at that time for side-mounting. The Model 2/3 are the same thing with either both floor-mounted hardware or one floor and one side-mounted. The distance between sets of holes isn't relevant - with small changes it's the same product for approx. 20 years. If the car were older - or perhaps someone used "leftovers," it's possible the Washington Mortuary equivalent could've been used - the bracket/bar are slightly different based on generation. A final and less common option is Baumgardner - which was still producing product up to at least 1964.

The low-headroom cots at that time were the Model 21L (single-level, "two-man"), Model 54L (two-level, "two-man"), Model 32 (Multi-level X-frame, "two-man") and Model 27 (Two-level, "One-Man"). Of course, folks didn't always follow the "book" and could've used the regular height cot equivalents despite having a low-headroom vehicle. I think for 1966 with side-mount hardware obviously having been present - the most likely would've been a Model 32.

Congrats on your purchase. As far as I am aware, you have the second Chrysler-branded ambulance from the time period that survives today.

Yes, I do believe that they had some sort of mechanism that bolted in those holes. Unfortunately, when I mounted it originally to the same holes, it was too low to grab the side of the strecher. I had to make the brackets because I had to go above the sidewalk of the car as it was too low as well. I will have to get shorter bolts but I think I'll keep the twist on nuts for easy removal. I see in the picture you included that there is a style of strecher bar that folds up. That would be ideal for me. Anyways, that was my method behind the madness.

Is this to accommodate the #30 cot seen in earlier photos?

Based on the original mounting holes, your car likely had a #54-L or a #32 when in service.

Yes, it's the same cot from previous photos. It came with the ambulance when I bought it.

Clay - your Model 30 cot is 1980s/1990s vintage. It is likely something that was tossed in by one of the "Previous Owners." The Model 30 is too high for your headroom, but anything's possible. Station wagon type ambulances and combinations indeed had regular headroom cots at times.

As mentiond previously above, the Model 32 is very likely. I have one that is not being used, but hesitate to part with it at the moment. If you wish to make this authenti and cannot find one, please contact me and we can talk.

I also might have one. I will have to have Nick ID my cots to be certain. Then I need to buy Dan Scully a plane ticket, so he can come East to help wrap it for shipment... :D

Thanks guys. For now il use the brackets, but I may be interested in the correct strecher in the future. Also,I see Paul is looking for one too but, if anyone has a folding strecher bar, I'm interested. Just make sure Paul gets one first. Thanks.

Back