Real Life Ambulance Scene Pictures

I'll get the Dobbs Ferry labeled correctly thanks. a few more now forgive me and jump right in as Steve did if it's one I borrowed form you and you have the info. 54 Henny Jr and a air transport. unknown, Bilde Mine accident, coal mine in the east. 73 MM running full code, loading up in 1940s, lot of Hx in this scene chains on the state plow pulling the ambulance and a host of volunteers to help. the last is a loading scene in 62 at Hot Springs ark can tell it a poncho and a superior

The Pontiac is a (very pretty blue) '66 from Caruth F.H. in Hot Springs.

thanks Steve got them marked accordingly. I knew the gurney we were using was a 26. I never told grandmother that though.
let see if I can find a few more I need help with. this would be Chris driving Robert's 75 across the golden gate bridge,his 74 is right behind. a 48 Henny at the Indy race track. Kingstown FD's 71 48 in volunteer . unknown pictures taken in 48. the the shot of JFKs return to washington DC. the 63 Pontiac we know know to be a Memphis thanks to Jack and tom Pinner for that.

Attachments

• car show 2010 criterions on the golden gate bridge..jpg
    car show 2010 criterions on the golden gate bridge..jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 1,418
  • loading 1948 packard henery Indy500ambulances005.jpg
    loading 1948 packard henery Indy500ambulances005.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 1,450
  • fire 1971 MM volinteer kingstown fd fire.jpg
    fire 1971 MM volinteer kingstown fd fire.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 1,408
  • bay shot1948.jpg
    bay shot1948.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 1,421
  • JFK 1963-11-22 return.jpg
    JFK 1963-11-22 return.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 1,406
please post one picture to one post. Makes it easier to keep track of the additional information.

thanks paul

From my good friend, Larri Dirks, comes this photo that shows a 1972 C/B Oldsmobile Seville from Allen Ambulance Service, Rock Falls, Illinois.

*An interesting historical byline: This car was ordered through Foster Coach Sales in Sterling, IL at the same time as two 1972 C/B Olds 48-inch ambulances (one of which now belongs to Larri and the other belongs to PCS member Dave Stahlhut.) As a result, these three cars have sequential body numbers.

The gentleman attending to the patient is Larri's dad, Lyle Dirks.

Attachments

• real_scenes.jpg
    real_scenes.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 1,812
OK one more of them. how about a 1942 Willies car converted to a boot loading ambulance

Attachments

• loaded 1942 willies boot loader 2.jpg
    loaded 1942 willies boot loader 2.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 1,828
Let's not forget those who worked in ambulance service during the days when Cadillac based rigs were king. I started my career in 1971, and we still used the words "ambulance service" as part of our company name. Back then there was still some "color" in the industry, as each service had its own distinct brand. This extened to the paint scheme of their ambulances, type of uniform, and even how they "dressed" their gurneys. It was fairly common then, in California, to see crews wearing Bell "Toptex" police helmets. Having one on my head while responding to a call saved my life when a drunk driver blew a red light at a very high rate of speed. The suburban hightop I was in flipped onto it's side and slid into a large lightpole, slicing the ambulance nearly into two pieces. Here is a photo of a crew from my area wearing their helments while on scene at an 11-80 (major injury auto accident).

Attachments

• Palo Alto Ambulance at an 11-80.(1)jpg.jpg
    Palo Alto Ambulance at an 11-80.(1)jpg.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 1,775
Last edited:
thanks Steve got them marked accordingly. I knew the gurney we were using was a 26. I never told grandmother that though.
let see if I can find a few more I need help with. this would be Chris driving Robert's 75 across the golden gate bridge,his 74 is right behind. a 48 Henny at the Indy race track. Kingstown FD's 71 48 in volunteer . unknown pictures taken in 48. the the shot of JFKs return to washington DC. the 63 Pontiac we know know to be a Memphis thanks to Jack and tom Pinner for that.

She's a Superior, my friend!

Ambulance @ Air Force One

The Pontiac ambulance that picked up President Kennedy from Air Force One was buillt by Memphis Coach. All the postings on the internet that say it was a Superior are not correct. It was built to government specifications based on a Superior.

Memphis Coach won the government contract with the help of Troy Douthitt the local Pontiac dealer. The Pontiac chassis were purchaced through Douthitt Carrol Pontiac in Memphis TN. Mr. Dowthitt financed the chassis for Memphis Coach. Pinner Coach Company also purchased our Pontiac's from Mr. Douthitt.

When it became apparent that Memphis Coach could not keep up becase the plant was too small they moved to a larger place in Memphis.

Memphis Coach was loosing money and could not pay the bills. Mr. Douthitt took over and called my dad for help in finishing the contract. We sent severel employees to help when we could spare them. I went several times to the Memphis Coach plant to deliver parts and equipment we fabricated.

I was only 20 at the time but remember it well. This like a lot of facts posted on the internet need correcting.

I was told that after the Ambulance picked up President Kennedy it was destroyed at the request of Jackie Kennedy.

Jack Pinner
Pinner Coach Company
1958-1971

CA "BE" Plates

Here is a scary one
Wrecked_CAD031.jpg

Nice to see the CA Ambulances from Palo Alto and Silva having proper "BE" (CA State Board of Equalization License Plates) prefixed with X, Y, or W before the number...... that meant that they were properly registered "for hire" units paying a small share of their revenue to the poor old State of CA. (*) Public Agency Rigs would of had EXEMPT (E-Plates)...with a hexagon around an "E" for City-County Vehicles and a Diamond around an "E" for State Rigs. THANKS to all of you for posting these great old pictures! MM

The Pontiac ambulance that picked up President Kennedy from Air Force One was buillt by Memphis Coach. All the postings on the internet that say it was a Superior are not correct. It was built to government specifications based on a Superior.

Memphis Coach won the government contract with the help of Troy Douthitt the local Pontiac dealer. The Pontiac chassis were purchaced through Douthitt Carrol Pontiac in Memphis TN. Mr. Dowthitt financed the chassis for Memphis Coach. Pinner Coach Company also purchased our Pontiac's from Mr. Douthitt.

When it became apparent that Memphis Coach could not keep up becase the plant was too small they moved to a larger place in Memphis.

Memphis Coach was loosing money and could not pay the bills. Mr. Douthitt took over and called my dad for help in finishing the contract. We sent severel employees to help when we could spare them. I went several times to the Memphis Coach plant to deliver parts and equipment we fabricated.

I was only 20 at the time but remember it well. This like a lot of facts posted on the internet need correcting.

I was told that after the Ambulance picked up President Kennedy it was destroyed at the request of Jackie Kennedy.

Jack Pinner
Pinner Coach Company
1958-1971

Please post a photo or photos of the car in question.

Back