1956 Eureka 3 way

The last year for the full wood body frame. The 58 I did was still wood framed from the window sill up. If you took the wood out the steel panels would all fall down. They had a construction that was a marvile to see.

Wow! There is a lot of misinformation in the sales blurb that accompanies this ad. For instance - when Eureka began making funeral cars and how many 1956 models were built by the company. One has to wonder where some of these "dealers" get their information. It disturbs me greatly when inaccurate information is disseminated like this. It misleads readers and is very hard to set straight for those seriously interested in professional vehicle history. Having said that, it is a spectacular car.

This is a PCS member

Wow! There is a lot of misinformation in the sales blurb that accompanies this ad. For instance - when Eureka began making funeral cars and how many 1956 models were built by the company. One has to wonder where some of these "dealers" get their information. It disturbs me greatly when inaccurate information is disseminated like this. It misleads readers and is very hard to set straight for those seriously interested in professional vehicle history. Having said that, it is a spectacular car.

The guy in Mt. Dora is a PCS member

Source of Info

Keith; I'm happy to see you share the same 'passion' I do for these old Coaches. All the info I published was from Coachbuilt.com or McPherson's book on Eureka's. Their company roots run back to 1871 but, they didn't start building motorized Hearses and Ambulances till the early 1900's ( Tom's book states 1917, pg.18). The total pro car figure of 1799 is published in McPherson's book for Cadillac 'commercial chassis' (pg 273) but, today I researched further I did find, yet another, source in the Cadillac Standard Guide which states 2,025 (pg 237). So, opinion's vary. Unfortunately Tom's book does not breakout how many 3-way's were built, like it does for Superior. Only says, "..the Eureka Landau funeral car was recognized as the finest custom landau in the business". And, like I said on my website, due to the high cost [ it doesnt take a rocket scientist to figure that] very few were made. Incidentally, the seller, who was a former PCS member, told me, he was told "3" but, I didn't publish that info. as I couldn't find his source. I make every effort for 29 years to publish the cars correctly... I will look to see if the wording can be dissected further.

Please don't assume every "dealer' is a bad guy and out to 'mislead' or, has dubious intentions. I had used the figure of 1799 as there would have been multiple 'other' Coach Builders building cars on a Cadillac Commercial Chassis so, if anything, it was an understatement of low build. My intentions are, as usual, to finish the resto. and put it on display in the Museum. After sharing it with the Public, it will eventually go to another great Funeral Home. Thanks

I tried!

This coach showed up at the Decatur, IL, meet in 1988. I tried to buy it then, but no sale. Not until after she died, the owner said. I tried to buy it again, with the agreement that I would return it to Indiana for her funeral, but again, no sale. I asked them to let me know if they changed their minds in the future, but I never heard any more from them. Now, it's gone wherever....................

Back