Jasper Engine Rebuild for the Pontiac

Looks like the Pontiac engine needs some major work and I am tired of having a "hanger queen". I am going to pull the engine and send to Jasper for a stock rebuild. Hope to get it out before the holidays so it can be back in January. While it is out, I'll detail the engine compartment and harnesses, etc.

I'll miss the Christmas Parades, but right now it smokes so bad it looks like the parish mosquito control truck!

Anyone want to fly to Carencro, LA and help with the pull? (I saw they are having air fare wars again.) I'll give you the '76 Cadillac for your effort! If you come back for the re-install/tune in January, I may throw in the MARS 888!

Any advice on the issue is welcome of course as always....

Before I pulled that engine, I would be doing a compression test to see exactly what the problem is. It can be totally trashed by a previous owner, or it might just be bad valve stems and a clogged PVC valve. I know of another PCS Member that was ready to have a complete engine rebuild, and only after talking him into doing some detective work, he was able to fix it for about $15.00 worth of parts and some time with a wrench in his hand. I saved the engine, but he trashed the transmission trying to see how well the engine ran... :D

Wish it was that easy as I tried the Risone Oil Treatment. Then I degreased the engine to find oil spraying from the left side onto the bright orange plug wires and smoke from the right as well. So I am thinking a a blown head gasket, plus two cracked exhaust manifolds. Trying to resolve the engine issues right up front.

They make a oil that if you change your oil and use this stuff it will stop smoking. Cost about $12 quart. Works great, we have used before.:rolleyes:

Good to know Danny. Got any secrets for getting a lifter to loosen up? Trying some special oil currently but still not luck with almost 300 miles driven so far.

Back