Slotted hubcaps

Since my car has disc brakes, it is supposed to have slotted hubcaps. I bought a set last year, but had never got around to putting them on. A few weeks ago I was coming back from a car cruise. It was a 95 degree day and a very hilly and windy drive, so I was using my brakes alot. By the time I got home, I could smell them burning. The front hubcaps were so hot, I couldn't even touch them.

I finally got around to transferring the medallions and put the two best slotted ones on, just the front for now, and it makes a huge difference. No more over-heated brakes. I guess those GM engineers knew what they were doing. The only draw back is now the brake dust comes out of the hubcap and goes all over the whitewall. Pics below of slotted, vs non-slotted.

Attachments

• 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 189
  • 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 191
What is interesting is that these 12 slot wheel disks were only used in 1966,1967, and 1965. Not having my 1969 to look at, I have no idea as to how they accomplished brake cooling. The parts book doesn't show a separate part number for the 1969 and up cars.

Group 5.858

my bet is on them being just as hot the next trip you take over that route. if you think about it the brake is inside the wheel. it heating up the wheel transferring heat to the cover by contact. the slots may help some but at 60 mph were is the air going to go. what is good is you finally put the correct covers on the car. way to go:071:

It is my understanding that in 65, 66, 67 and 68 the slotted wheel covers were used on the commercial chassis cars to cool the brakes at they were heaver cars and seen more severe service than the passenger cars as the regular passenger cars got the solid stamped wheel covers those years. My 73 has the standard solid wheel covers on it as all Cadillacs did in 73 and I've never seen or heard of a slotted cover for a 73. My 77 has slotted wheel covers just as the passenger Cadillacs do. And I've never had any issues with the brakes over heating with ether car.

Back