'85 Collins & '83 Superior Cheap

Kurt Arends

PCS Elected Director 2021-2024
Checked out these 2 coaches for sale at the C&H U-Pull-It in South Sioux City, NE. These cars are for sale as complete cars only. Both came from the same "collection". The white '85 appears to be an ass-heavy Collins?(correct me if I'm wrong). That car looks to be rust-free, very straight, and clean. The grey '83 Superior has rust above the rear wheels and a few other small areas. If anyone is interested, they are asking $1000 each. You can reach them at 402.494.8208.

Attachments

• 007.jpg
    007.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 730
  • 017.jpg
    017.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 716
  • 030.jpg
    030.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 704
They seemed cheap enough, but I'm just not into the post-1979 coaches. Need 'em John?? Spare in the grey Superior had never been on the ground.

The white Eagle? would definitely be a HT4100 as this car is a standard wheel base Fleetwood and not a commercial chassis.

I've crossed paths with these cars before

I photographed the '83 Superior in 1996 after it was traded in (to United Coach of Minneapolis) from Sturm Funeral Home in St. James, MN (a place Kent Martinson probably recognizes.) It went on to Stephens Funeral Service in Redwood Falls, MN but has been retired from there for a number of years.

The white '85 Cadillac looks to me like it could be a Demers, based on the side door window frames and glass. I'm pretty sure this is the same car I saw in 1994 at the Bittner Funeral Chapel in Mitchell, SD, but I do not have any photos from that time. I do remember George Bittner being rather unhappy with it due to the very small size.

(Karsnia photo)

Attachments

• zzz_83superior 001.jpg
    zzz_83superior 001.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 543
I photographed the '83 Superior in 1996 after it was traded in (to United Coach of Minneapolis) from Sturm Funeral Home in St. James, MN (a place Kent Martinson probably recognizes.) It went on to Stephens Funeral Service in Redwood Falls, MN but has been retired from there for a number of years.

The white '85 Cadillac looks to me like it could be a Demers, based on the side door window frames and glass. I'm pretty sure this is the same car I saw in 1994 at the Bittner Funeral Chapel in Mitchell, SD, but I do not have any photos from that time. I do remember George Bittner being rather unhappy with it due to the very small size.

(Karsnia photo)

Sturm Funeral Home? St. James, MN.? why do these names sound familiar? Maybe it's because I grew up in St. James and got my start in the ambulance business there, and maybe it's because I went to school with Ron Sturm and his wife who was in my class. They're very nice people. I worked with Sharon Sturm's dad at Jensen-Watonwan funeral Home and ambulance service. Her dad, Vince, was one of my best friends. It's fun to see a car from my home town. Thanks Tony. It brings back a lot of good memories.

I stopped by this yard today and finally talked them into parting out the grey '83 Superior end-loader. If anyone is in need of anything off of this thing, give them a call. I purchased the 4 C.C. rims and the wheel covers. The coach has a rust-free front clip, but has sat outside too long and has rotted out badly at it's belt line.

I got a call today saying that they had pulled the wheels of this coach for me and they are ready to pick up. Nothing else has been removed from this '83 Superior end-loader yet, but it will be coming apart soon. If there is anything anyone needs, I can grab it on Thursday of next week when I swing by to get the rims. It will get moved into the Pick-N-Pull part of the yard soon now.

Thanks Kurt, I have a friend here in Portland with an incomplete 81 Superior. I'll ask if he needs anything =)

Checked out these 2 coaches for sale at the C&H U-Pull-It in South Sioux City, NE. These cars are for sale as complete cars only. Both came from the same "collection". The white '85 appears to be an ass-heavy Collins?(correct me if I'm wrong). That car looks to be rust-free, very straight, and clean. The grey '83 Superior has rust above the rear wheels and a few other small areas. If anyone is interested, they are asking $1000 each. You can reach them at 402.494.8208.

It always saddens me to see a vehicle that was used to carry a family's loved one on their final ride and was such a respected vehicle of transport to end up like this. :(

It always saddens me to see a vehicle that was used to carry a family's loved one on their final ride and was such a respected vehicle of transport to end up like this. :(

I totally agree with you Richard. Unfortunately, the vast majority of these coaches end up in the hands of people who have no interest in preserving them. They are left sitting outside for years and the vinyl tops turn into a big sponge. These coaches were not intended to sit outside and fall apart quickly when left outdoors. No one is going to buy this '83 Superior and put $5000 or more into just restoring the body on it. It would potentially only end up in the hands of someone who would only further accelerate its demise. I have always said that if you have no covered or indoor storage for these professional cars, you have no business owning one!

Collins has been sold and the Superior is being parted out by the yard, if you need anything off of it. I bought the C.C. rims and wheel covers.

did the superior have the 350 in it or the smaller engine. I would be interested in them if I could get it complete.

All '81-'84 Cadillac commercial chassis used the same 368c.i. engine. Same engine that the used for the V-8/6/4 in the '81 RWD passenger cars, but the commercial chassis never came with the V-8/6/4 setup. The Cadillac commercial chassis never used the ht4100.

Back