Superior 54-XL

Are there more than 3 remaining?

Not too many Superior 54XL ambulances out there. I know of only three survivors: Mine in Massachusetts, Tim Prieur’s in Canada and I hear there’s one in Hawaii. Can anyone add to this list?

The very first time I saw a picture of one of these XLs I though it was an after market conversion done by an individual who simply tried to cover up the windows and make it something different.

Not too many Superior 54XL ambulances out there. I know of only three survivors: Mine in Massachusetts, Tim Prieur’s in Canada and I hear there’s one in Hawaii. Can anyone add to this list?

Bruce Biancalana has one I believe, There was one a Petes place that went to NC or SC I think, and I think someone bought the Jailbusters one and supposedly restoring it.

When the Criterion "database was set up I did my best to hunt out the 54XL survivors. The only four "drivers" I ever located are mentioned.
- Tony
- Jim S
- Jim Ireland (Hawaii)
- mine (Bruce B).

Found three other parts cars.

They are a rare animal.

Could any one of you guys post a pic of one ?. I'd love to see it.

Here is a '75 Superior 54XL that I shot at Arrow Ambulance Service in Champaign, IL. back when it was close to new.

Attachments

• Arrow001.jpg
    Arrow001.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 1,446
  • Arrow002.jpg
    Arrow002.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 1,998
1975 Superior 54XL

Last I knew, this Superior 54XL, which I owned from 1993-1999 (my first collector ambulance) -- a vehicle which reportedly originally served in Laurel, Maryland (never confirmed) -- was still out in the San Diego, California area ... owned by an emergency physician, Dr. Mark Tamsen, and displayed in the parking lot of an urgent care clinic he operates near the international airport there.

dlr75cad1md.jpg

dlr75cad2md.jpg

dlr75cad3md.jpg

dlr75cad4md.jpg

DLR75CAD54XLinterior5.jpg

54xl

I live in hawaii and there is not one here. I own one but it is at a friends in Minnesota where I used to live. It is the former Beverly Hills FD rig. I will put up a photo later. May even consider selling it to a PCS member only. At one time I owned the Piner rig from Napa but was too far gone to save. I have also seen one floating around the Internet that was all black and a radio/disco music type set up

Hood vents

The vents were cut by the BHFD because the rig would overheat at scenes. It had a B&M superchief and electronic siren. The most unusual feature is the four corner beacons that were dietz strobes which were super rare for 1975. It also had an airhorn. I was told by Lou Farah that this was the last Cadillac ambulance in active emergency service in Los Angeles County. I think it ran until 1980. The people of Beverly Hills did not want to be transported in a van ambulance as they felt this was substandard as compared to the "Cadillac." It was also the only one that was orange, as the other fire departments used red.

Tim,

How long have you had yours? I once had the chance to buy one, but opted to by my Lotus instead. I thought the pictures I saved were of that car, but they appear to be pictures of your car.

Attachments

• 1976 Superior Cadillac ambulance 2.jpg
    1976 Superior Cadillac ambulance 2.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 451
  • 1976 Superior Cadillac ambulance 1.jpg
    1976 Superior Cadillac ambulance 1.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 440
Tim,

How long have you had yours? I once had the chance to buy one, but opted to by my Lotus instead. I thought the pictures I saved were of that car, but they appear to be pictures of your car.

Those pictures were taken by me when I owned the car, Tim now is the owner. I do miss the car, but I can say that it went to good home.

Back