Motivation for collecting

So I'm reading an article in my new Hagerty magazine that brought up an interesting comment in their "Making Your Car a Historic Treasure" article, which has got me curious. The comment is, "the typical collector is more motivated by nostalgia than the thought of preserving a vehicle or being a steward of a piece of history." Now I know there are many reasons for collecting cars, but of the two options they suggest, my question for you is which category do you fall mostly into and why?

If you've ever read the BAHMT novel I wrote, you already know I fall face first on the historic/heritage side of that line. Not surprisingly, I'm in the minority (according to what the article says at least), as I am with a lot of things I'm learning. Although I will add that while I am mostly leaning into the historical aspect, I am influenced by nostalgia. For example, I have the hearse because it's unique, not because I have any particular fond memory of Fords or hearses. I sometimes look at it as historically significant to the trade as a piece of the backbone that made the day-to-day operations of a business run smoothly. It's also a behind the scenes worker that played a part of a very significant part of life: death. Similarly, I love the Mini Coopers I used to own because they were icons of multiple decades. In the world's cultures, it was as significant as the Model T and VW Bug. But, back to my original question, I will say that with those, they were also a bit nostalgic. I had followed rallye racing as a kid and even had a few Mini Cooper toy cars. So of course as an adult, I had to buy a couple :)

I AM a Relic

My motivation I believe is historical in the fact that I worked in these cars. Now I can remember a fascination of seeing these cars even as a little boy. But I have enjoyed collecting the equipment as much as the cars.

I like to think we are preserving history, especially with professional cars. But, I often get a feeling of excitement, even butterflies, at the thought of owning certain cars that bring back special memories. So, I guess for me, both play a huge role in my affection for the cars I have owned.

I like to think we are preserving history, especially with professional cars. But, I often get a feeling of excitement, even butterflies, at the thought of owning certain cars that bring back special memories. So, I guess for me, both play a huge role in my affection for the cars I have owned.

I think we may find many people, especially in our club, are like you where it's a near 50/50 split. As Ron brought up, it's easy to be that way when the cars were an integral part of your life in the EMS and funeral business. Then again, Hagerty did say "typical collector." Maybe we don't really count as typical? :D

I consider my self a car nut. I love cars, espically antique cars. I collect old hearses because, for me, they represent the past of my profession. While I was not even around when some of my cars were new, I like to think of what they have been through. I often wonder how many U.S. Military heroes my 1938 Packard may have carried during WWII. I wonder what people thought of the high flying wings on my 1959 hearse when it was new. Was the first owner of the 1982 proud of the new hearse, or was it just another addition to a fleet of cars. Each car has a unique personality and past. I drive an old hearse and remind myself that things weren't always as crazy as they seem today.

Crazy about cars

Like many of you,my obsession with cars started at a very young age.my grandfather and my uncles were passionate about their cars.Pa always drove big chryslers ,and his brothers drove big G.M. cars(caddies and oldsmobiles) add that to the fact that i grew up across the alley from a body shop and a gas station,and the Niagara Falls fire dept engine company #8 (i enjoyed hangaround status at all 3) all this took place in the late 50's and early 60's. add to this my fascination with the beautiful red and white cadillac rigs of Niagara Ambulance,and the blue and white pontiacs of frontier ambulance.

little did i know then, that in the future i would work for one of them,and
eventually that they would become my competion when i,along with my partners started Professional Ambulance Service in 1971.

no wonder i'm crazy about professional cars,and firetrucks,and cars in
general. i would not have it any other way.:boo:

Why do we collect

Hmmm, why do we collect Pro Cars, interesting question. Since I am in the smallest of minorities and have no work experience in any of the fields most represented by the majority of Pro Cars, my original interest stems from a love of all cars, especially older ones. The fact that during my entire life I always perfered to not be one of the crowd but embrace the higest degree of different that I could muster had some effect on my decision to collect Pro Cars as well. Initially I stepped into the Pro Car collection arena for that reason, to be different; but have since aquired a high level of apprecieation for the beauty, craftmanship and uniqueness of Pro Cars that I truly believe deserves the focus of a group such as the PCS that is interested in preserving these icons of American automobile history. That said, I have to admit that Ed's comment has merit as well; I could potentionally collect and save as many as ten Pro Cars for the going price of one 1955 Chevy, or T-Bird. The great folks that I have met through the PCS and their functions has been an added plus that I hadn't counted on, but has to be figured into the equation as well. :specool:

I am probably 95% history and 5% nostalgia. But they do go together, after all. As I have said in the past, I am primarily motivated by the desire to preserve the history of EMS and ambulance service - my vocation and avocation.

But they are fun!

Back