De Soto Combination Very Cool!

Looks familiar. Is/was it a PCS member's? Seller should also do a better job of telling more about it. Some history and interior photos would be a good start.

John, I think it's the short-lived MoPar 350, first "B" engine, used in 1958 Firesweeps.
From the excellent Allpar site: https://www.allpar.com/mopar/b-engines.html

"The “B” series wedge engines were launched in the 1958 cars, just seven years after the original Chrysler V8. Compared to the Hemi and Poly engines, it was light, simple, and cheap to build, yet still tough and sturdy. For this one year, they were produced in 350 and 361 cubic inch versions, both large-bore, short-stroke designs, with 10:1 compression and identical valve diameters; the Plymouth dual-four-barrel version had a unique camshaft, but the DeSoto two and four barrel versions shared a cam. Made in a newly repurposed plant, they started rolling off the line just in time for the 1958 cars."

I'll check the Black Book later, but DeSoto must be unusual for this coachbuilder, right? Mr. Loftin, EMS Classics links to a photo of yours of a 58 Plymouth Barnett.
_

Last edited:
This coach was built on a Desoto Firesweep, which was the cheapest model Desoto built in 1958.

thanks for the info, I never hear of a 350 Chrysler engine. but it stands to reason they would use the cheapest car they could buy to do the conversion. the were built for profit not for show.

Back