1959 Cadillac Superior 3-Way Hearse

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1959-Cadill...ash=item440b903348:g:u3kAAOSw4-hZuJzh&vxp=mtr

"Here is an extremely rare 1959 Cadillac Superior Landaulet 3-way hearse. Offered for sale to the public for the first time since 1962. We have been after this car for a year trying to buy it and finally were able to succeed. It was found by a friend of ours at a funeral home in a small town in Sonora, Mexico in their storage building. It was purchased by the funeral home in 1962 and was in service there until 1989 when it was taken out of service and put away in storage. I have photos of the car, where it was found under layers of dust and dirt. We had to go two hours into Mexico to pick the car up and bring it across the border. It is very cool find with all it's original Mexico registration stickers still on the windshield, dating back to 1962. Along with its original funeral home name tags still mounted in the side windows saying "San Francisco" which was the name of the funeral home that owned it. The car is totally complete with its original red velvet drapes, casket table and plastic Superior logos.............."

Attachments

• s-l1600 (1).jpg
    s-l1600 (1).jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 297
Looks to me like the coach needs everything re-done! There is nothing original about that interior(especially the drapes!). Just a cheap vinyl upholstery job that was done 40 years ago that is now in bad condition. Body side moldings disappeared during one of probably many paint jobs/repairs over the years. Looks more like a coach from Cuba.

You got to want one to mess with it. So strange the way people do there projects. One would have thought the seat would have been an the list of must do. This is one of the better fly out to look at it cars.

Looks to me like the coach needs everything re-done! There is nothing original about that interior(especially the drapes!). Just a cheap vinyl upholstery job that was done 40 years ago that is now in bad condition. Body side moldings disappeared during one of probably many paint jobs/repairs over the years. Looks more like a coach from Cuba.

Right, those drapes are horrible...they do not look original at all....The side moldings can be extremely expensive...Did Superior not install sconces or some other decorative element in the back, or are they missing? According to the listing it is not from Cuba, it is from Mexico.

If the add is truthful, the good things about the coach are: it starts, runs and drives; the body appears to be straight; it is a 3 way with the table intact (some people prefer 3-ways); someone already went through the titling process between Mexico and the U.S.; it is a 59...not my favorite, but they seem to hold their value in the general market.
The bad things are clear...the interior needs a lot of love. The exterior trim needs to be restored.
If the dealer is being truthful, --they are or they are not-- then this one seems like it is at a good starting point for a restoration. I am guessing the bid is going to go pretty high. I would take Ed's advice and see it in person before I handed over the 10s of thousands of dollars that this one is going to cost the buyer.

If the add is truthful, the good things about the coach are: it starts, runs and drives; the body appears to be straight; it is a 3 way with the table intact (some people prefer 3-ways); someone already went through the titling process between Mexico and the U.S.; it is a 59...not my favorite, but they seem to hold their value in the general market.
The bad things are clear...the interior needs a lot of love. The exterior trim needs to be restored.
If the dealer is being truthful, --they are or they are not-- then this one seems like it is at a good starting point for a restoration. I am guessing the bid is going to go pretty high. I would take Ed's advice and see it in person before I handed over the 10s of thousands of dollars that this one is going to cost the buyer.

The Ebay ad mentions nothing about the paperwork for this car.

Because this car was likely imported into Mexico in 1962 from the US, I am not sure what paperwork they had for it.

In Mexico they use the original bill of sale to transfer ownership from owner to owner. If you lose that paper, there is not much you can do to get it back.

If you are interested in this car ask for copies of the documents they have for this car.

It is being sold by a dealer. As I recall, at least in my state, a dealer has to have a title to turn over to a buyer or a lender at the time of purchase. My assumption was that, because a dealer is selling, there would be a title. That said, one should know before they are buying if it is a bill of sale or a title....I sure would.

Back