Eagle Eschelon

While we were in Piqua last week, I heard about this car but I missed the trip to Eagle (busy changing tires and such) and didn't see it. I saw this looking over Jerry Jacobson's pictures.

Now, I'm not much of a hearse person, you know I'm more an ambulance guy. And the newer Cadillacs and hearses don't do much for me. But if this isn't the best looking modern hearse, particularly in the gold/green paint scheme, I don't know what is.

3885700054_4ae556b1fd_b.jpg

I'm very impressed! Very classy job, Eagle! :cool:

Eagle Echelon

I remember seeing my first Echelon here in town. One of the local funeral home has a dark blue one. All their cars are dark blue. I had to go around the block for a second look. I too think this is one of the best looking late model hearses on the street.
With the sky light in the rear the casket area is very, very visible through the side windows. That is why you have a limo style in the first place isn't it? The green and tan do work together. When the coach was in the shop the tan was more of a gold hue with the flouresent lights. Out in the daylight it was more tan and that works.
I just want to know how many years we will have to wait to call one ours.
Mike

The thing that surprised me was my observation that they were making more Eschelons than other coach styles at that time. My guess is that others agree with your opinion of the coach. They were impressive, with the sky-view glass and painted top (rather than padded) etc. Eagle also shared the fact that they were still working full weeks without layoffs.

the only thing I see wrong with the car is the c pillar should be straight up. and that sissy landau bar could have been sweep forward up to about the rear opening of the back door. that would have giving it the illusion of purpose, married it into the car rather then a after thought. but the rest of the car is nice.

My guess is that the C pillar is angled forward so they could use a standard off the shelf rear door glass. Today, custom made glass is very expensive, and for short runs (less that a few thousand pieces) it might be cost prohibitive. Looks like the quarter panel glass is a flat piece of glass..
Take the landau bars off and add front and rear tunnel lights and a beacon on the top, and it would make a good looking ambulance... :D

Echelon, we barely knew ya

But if this isn't the best looking modern hearse, particularly in the gold/green paint scheme, I don't know what is. I'm very impressed! Very classy job, Eagle! :cool:

I agree. It's a shame production of the Echelon will be ending in a few months. It's destined to be one of the classics.

During your factory tour did the Eagle folks express any anxiety about the impending demise of the Cadillac DTS B9Q chassis?

Their attitude outwardly seemed to be one of "we'll see what happens". We must remember that this is a competitive business and there might be things they will not say. I did come away with the feeling that they are in communication with the Cadillac folks rather than just waiting. ;)

Hurry up and wait

Their attitude outwardly seemed to be one of "we'll see what happens". We must remember that this is a competitive business and there might be things they will not say. I did come away with the feeling that they are in communication with the Cadillac folks rather than just waiting. ;)

Did the Accubuilt people have a similar attitude about the future of Cadillac pro cars?

Superior, too, seemed to have a "wait and see" attitude, but they were pretty mum on the whole thing beyond that....

Don't know if that meant they had something else up their collective sleeve they couldn't discuss, or if it meant they really didn't know and were going to play it by ear.

Coachbuilders losing sleep

Superior, too, seemed to have a "wait and see" attitude, but they were pretty mum on the whole thing beyond that....

Don't know if that meant they had something else up their collective sleeve they couldn't discuss, or if it meant they really didn't know and were going to play it by ear.

Accubuilt has diversified over the past few years. I would imagine they'll be able to weather the storm better than the smaller builders. However, I gotta believe they're nervous about Cadillac's future plans. I'm guessing Accubuilt's engineers are already looking at other brands of chassis so they can hedge their bets if Cadillac doesn't deliver a compatible chassis in 2012.

Another Echelon for this area

Last Thursday evening, Jon Wurm and I were invited over to Baines Professional Vehicles to photograph two new Eagle Cadillac hearses. One was a white Echelon Elite, going to Boulger Funeral Home in Fargo, ND. The other was a dark green Ultimate going to Reese Funeral Home in Ottumwa, IA.

Boulger's Echelon was special ordered with Eagle coachlamps on the "B" pillars instead of the dual "limo lights."

As I've stated here before, I like the Echelon. It is a very good attempt at a modern limousine-style hearse, placing proper emphasis on the casket (hence the large windows and skylight.) The fit and finish of these cars is excellent and I give Eagle an A+ for the beautiful Echelon interiors. The one drawback of the design is lack of side window drapes for those funeral homes that use a hearse for removals.

On to the Echelon Elite...

Attachments

• 2009_Sept_New Eagles 003.jpg
    2009_Sept_New Eagles 003.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 938
  • 2009_Sept_New Eagles 006.jpg
    2009_Sept_New Eagles 006.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 656
  • 2009_Sept_New Eagles 012.jpg
    2009_Sept_New Eagles 012.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 396
  • 2009_Sept_New Eagles 009.jpg
    2009_Sept_New Eagles 009.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 367
  • 2009_Sept_New Eagles 046.jpg
    2009_Sept_New Eagles 046.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 373
And here's the dark green Ultimate

In addition to the dark green metallic paint, this car was special ordered with paisley drapes and a black carpeted casket table.

Attachments

• 2009_Sept_New Eagles 033.jpg
    2009_Sept_New Eagles 033.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 305
  • 2009_Sept_New Eagles 025.jpg
    2009_Sept_New Eagles 025.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 608
  • 2009_Sept_New Eagles 026.jpg
    2009_Sept_New Eagles 026.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 277
  • 2009_Sept_New Eagles 040.jpg
    2009_Sept_New Eagles 040.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 303
  • 2009_Sept_New Eagles 041.jpg
    2009_Sept_New Eagles 041.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 356
lavendar pants

Seriously, are you going to question the guy with a stick, gun, pepper spray, hand cuffs, a ticket book and back up? They probably don't call it lavendar.
Mike

Back