Little repairs door, drive shaft, etc.

Martin Harvey

PCS Member
Got a noise from the drive shaft, when lifted I discovered that it was the drive shaft support that was damaged. Dunno if it's only the bearing or the whole part.

What is the part number for a Drive shaft support on a 1970 Miller-Meteor? Kinda newbie on equivalent 2011 parts or where to find the correct part number. Any help?

Also working on the driver door. Where can I order the correct pins and bushing? I assume that any Fleetwood pins can fits...

And the last one, the loading door... dunno why it's not holding opened. Probably hard to find parts of a '70 M-M ? !

Martin, far far from his first car show!

we have discussed this drive shaft issue before. one should be able to search for it. my rubber was still good so I took my bearing up to a store that specializes in bearings and we matched it up with one. unfortunately the box for it went in the glove box of the 72 when I sold it and I never marked down the number.

the door pins and bushings can be gotten at any parts store. they are a mix match of gm stuff. if your familiar with them replacing then is easy enough. the Dorman line is about the cheapest. http://www.dormanproducts.com/

the check springs one the rear door are probmatic. you'll find one end of the spring broken off. you will need to remove the door to remove the hinges to repair the spring. the good news is I have been sucessfull in reforming the end on the spring and getting it to stay. the bad news is I have not found as of yet a replacment spring.

Attachments

• IMG_3987.jpg
    IMG_3987.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 183
  • IMG_3989.jpg
    IMG_3989.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 183
  • IMG_3990.jpg
    IMG_3990.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 177
Wow thanks John for all these informations! Will check on it asap. :)

The spring looks like a break spring on my Dodge... wonder if it fits.

All springs look alike. The difference in springs is the wire dimension, the diameter of the turns, and the number of turns. Usually you can find something that will fit and work, even if it isn't exact. Always try to replace with new, since used springs don't work as well as new springs. Many auto parts stores should have a brake spring catalog that they can match up the old spring with a new one by holding the old one over the picture. Don't know if it is an industry standard, however, I have noticed that springs are color coded by paint of different colors and shades.

new springs would be best now find a set. as I stated I have not been able to find any replacement springs. Jeramey had a set that might work with some modification. but finding one that small that heavy has proven to be hard. the coil is as just tight enough that a #3 Philips screw driver will slide tight in the center. any bigger a coil and it will not go into the housing. it has to have a flat tail or it won't clear the hinge. the coil on a break spring is to long to fit into the housing and still hold tension when the door is open. any I have looked at are to heavy a wire size to fit the hole and the notch. I have repaired 5 sets of them now. so far they are all still holding. but I'm still looking for a replacement spring also.

My rear load door is one that Ed has repaired.:thankyou2: Still working great with no problems or slamming shut at its own whim! I tell ya when that door hits ya it gives a whole new meaning to the phrase about letting the door hit ya in the @$$!:stars::smiley3:

Back