68 Cadillac MM Combo (Restore thread)

If what you have is now working leave it alone for now. They changer the exciter wire harness. what you have will not go on the older one. You also have no ida if the regulator works or not. Play around a little first. Find the plug you need and the wire harness is all there. Half the time they cut off the battery wire that should go between the ault and the regulater. Mean time all you need is the one wire going to the plus side of the battery to get it to charge. They are a pain to swap were they are. Make sure you have what is needed before you start.

If what you have is now working leave it alone for now. They changer the exciter wire harness. what you have will not go on the older one. You also have no ida if the regulator works or not. Play around a little first. Find the plug you need and the wire harness is all there. Half the time they cut off the battery wire that should go between the ault and the regulater. Mean time all you need is the one wire going to the plus side of the battery to get it to charge. They are a pain to swap were they are. Make sure you have what is needed before you start.

Thanks, I will do that. Last time I wondered if I was doing something wrong or if it was really that hard. I had to remove the fan shroud, the bar that mounts from the alt bracket to the engine, and that hose that goes across the top of the alternator. Even then it was nightmarish. Mostly because of that big bottom bolt on the alternator. Hopefully if I buy it tonight I can get it in before Friday.

Maybe this time I shouldnt tighten the battery bolt on the alt as tight. That may be why I had problems this time around

Got it done last yesterday evening. Didnt take as long as last time, but I still spent a great deal of time getting that bottom bolt around the fan shroud and through that spacer.

Man that alternator spacer piece seems to be the bane of my existence

I did get that alternator sorted out and its charging much better now with that 4 gauge cable. Yesterday I attended my first car meet in a local hearse club consisting of several members. While only 2 of us drove our hearses it was a good visit and I learned something interesting about my coach. I was told that the combos usually had a 2nd floor button near the high beams for the siren.

We checked and sure enough I had a siren button that was hidden underneath the carpet. Until I get a real siren I have a tiny little vixen siren hooked up to a toggle switch. I may try rewiring it to this button and see how that works out. I never thought there would be a button hidden under the carpet

It should not have been hidden. But if installed at the factory it would be a big switch that looks just like a dimmer switch. Sticking up threw the carpet. Most of the MM were wire with a horn siren switch on the pane with the light switches. Which would have been were the radio was. Flip it one way the horn toots the other the siren blows. There should be a picture of one in my drop shots site under the 68 mm album.

Keep in mind not all combos were used as ambulances. A lot of homes would order one so that when it dropped to second out or first call car it would be set up for the gurney. But never used as a ambulance. Then the next owner just had to have a noise maker so they added things. That little switch could trip the Selonide of a bigger siren but if it did its not a factr setup.

If I May Make a Couple of Suggestions

Blake you have a really nice looking car there with LOTS of potential and I am really more of a limousine more than a landau style guy. The 65-68 body styles are my favorite. (Ya would think the 59-64 styles were my favorite seeing I have owned three 64s :rolleyes:). But back to your car, the 67 looks great and the black over gray is also my favorite combo color style. All this said, as soon as possible I would get a 28 for under the hood AND that abortion of a beacon has got to go. A Federal Model 175 hill light with red and white bulbs OMG! BEAUTIFUL!!!!!!. I would also like to see more pics of the car especially the patient compartment. Do you have a cot back there? It is a good looking car and I have really enjoyed following your thread on it's restoration.

Blake you have a really nice looking car there with LOTS of potential and I am really more of a limousine more than a landau style guy. The 65-68 body styles are my favorite. (Ya would think the 59-64 styles were my favorite seeing I have owned three 64s :rolleyes:). But back to your car, the 67 looks great and the black over gray is also my favorite combo color style. All this said, as soon as possible I would get a 28 for under the hood AND that abortion of a beacon has got to go. A Federal Model 175 hill light with red and white bulbs OMG! BEAUTIFUL!!!!!!. I would also like to see more pics of the car especially the patient compartment. Do you have a cot back there? It is a good looking car and I have really enjoyed following your thread on it's restoration.

Thats brings up another question I was meaning to ask. Does the beacon I have look original? At a show awhile back someone asked me if that was the original light, but I only assumed it was, he said it looked like the outer beacon ray casing was original but he said the inside light part looked newer. He may be right, as i am unsure. In any case I would like to put whatever should be there on it.

I can take some interior pictures here this week. I do not have a cot, but I do have the cot brackets

Thats brings up another question I was meaning to ask. Does the beacon I have look original? At a show awhile back someone asked me if that was the original light, but I only assumed it was, he said it looked like the outer beacon ray casing was original but he said the inside light part looked newer. He may be right, as i am unsure. In any case I would like to put whatever should be there on it.

I can take some interior pictures here this week. I do not have a cot, but I do have the cot brackets

It appears that the Beacon Ray mount and skirt are proper for the car. However somebody replaced the guts with that little strobe light. All you really need is the guts for a Beacon Ray, a 17,or 173 would fit tight in that dome (appears to be a "small" dome). Pop it off the car, remove the skirt and dome, put the mounting hardware on the new guts, reassemble and there you have it. Good as new!!! If it's a "big dome" light any guts will work 17, 173, 174, 175. or 176.

It appears that the Beacon Ray mount and skirt are proper for the car. However somebody replaced the guts with that little strobe light. All you really need is the guts for a Beacon Ray, a 17,or 173 would fit tight in that dome (appears to be a "small" dome). Pop it off the car, remove the skirt and dome, put the mounting hardware on the new guts, reassemble and there you have it. Good as new!!! If it's a "big dome" light any guts will work 17, 173, 174, 175. or 176.

I will check the model on the beacon ray mount. Thank you for that info

OH HELL NO! That is not original, that is a hot mess. You are missing the bottom ring molding. D-Captain had some for sale Jerry Jacobson can hook you up with him. Cots tend to be expensive and the prices are going up all the time. It's a shame you are clear out there in Oklahoma I think I have two or three model 30's in my storage garage. I have a 174 on my Pontiac combination. Rather than rotate the light swings back and forth like a washing machine agitator.

Last edited:
you have no Ida what is original on the car or were that lash up came from. so for right now just pull the tag off the skirt and watch e-bay for one missing the globe. the repair kit with the necessary rubber parts is available there also. if you wait and watch one will pop up with a rough skirt and a broken globe that you can get reasonable. they are not to bad to work on. but if you want. send me yours and I can rebuild you a working demount-able one. if your interested pm me.

that top looks good

you have no Ida what is original on the car or were that lash up came from. so for right now just pull the tag off the skirt and watch e-bay for one missing the globe. the repair kit with the necessary rubber parts is available there also. if you wait and watch one will pop up with a rough skirt and a broken globe that you can get reasonable. they are not to bad to work on. but if you want. send me yours and I can rebuild you a working demount-able one. if your interested pm me.

that top looks good

Sounds good, i may PM you

174-D is what it shows

The "D" means demountable, but we don't know if this is the original skirt. Is the beacon mounted by a single bolt with a wire fed through it, or is it attached by three bolts?

I'll be glad to give this (and whatever else you wish on the car) a once over the next time I'm in the Tulsa area. Please send me your cell number via PM when you get time.

The "D" means demountable, but we don't know if this is the original skirt. Is the beacon mounted by a single bolt with a wire fed through it, or is it attached by three bolts?

I'll be glad to give this (and whatever else you wish on the car) a once over the next time I'm in the Tulsa area. Please send me your cell number via PM when you get time.

I have never removed it to check yet. I am able to turn it though, but i am unsure if it is supposed to be super snug or if thats normal. That sound good though. I live in Owasso, and work in Tulsa, so im sure we can arrange something when your around. I will send you me info here in a bit

I have never removed it to check yet. I am able to turn it though, but i am unsure if it is supposed to be super snug or if thats normal. That sound good though. I live in Owasso, and work in Tulsa, so im sure we can arrange something when your around. I will send you me info here in a bit

It's probably demountable then. What do you see when you unzip the headliner?

It's probably demountable then. What do you see when you unzip the headliner?

The zippered headliner is a bit torn as the zippered seams have come un-attached from the actual headliner, so its in a permanent partially open state. I have never delved in there. I plan on taking a closer look here soon. If I have some time I may try to take a quick look after work today, and also take those interior pictures for Ron

Back