Black roof paint

One day when I can afford to do it, I will have the Ford stripped down to the bare metal and have a nice new paint job done top to bottom. In the meantime though, I want the top painted black. Right now it's a slightly darker green than the body, and it's textured (like speckled paint). Any suggestions of what gallon of paint or a black primer I should? It won't get a lot of sun exposure since it's a garaged car, I want it to look satin or eggshell rather than flat or gloss, and it can't be too expensive.

A hot rod guy I asked at a show recommended Rust-Oleum marine flat black "anti-fouling" paint. They use this for the bottoms of boats. He said once it's sat a few weeks, wipe it with Lemon Pledge to give a satin look that won't run off. Another guy suggested just any black exterior paint from Home Depot, like Behr of Glidden, and then do the same with the Lemon Pledge.

Keep in mind this is a short term, DIY, project, so I don't want to go as far as bedliner coatings. This also has to be fairly easy to remove one day, because I will probably go with a body matching smooth painted top.

painted top

Adam,
If what you put on today is coming off in the near future why not try to dye the top that is there? We died the complete VW interior years ago. Saw the car 20 years later and the dye had held up well. Vinyl dye is not too expensive as I remember.
Good luck,
Mike

if your looking for a nice clean up and thinking about redoing it later why put on something that you have to strip off again? strip the top to bare make any repairs you need to and prime it out with the dark gray primer. the new stuff is not porous like the older stuff was so it will keep the top from rusting. then when you have time and money all you need to do is sand re prime block and paint. that is what I did on the 68 only I use the light gray to give it a nice contrast. I want to paint the whole car when we do it so the matelic matches so tell then it will look like this.

Attachments

• IMG_7620.jpg
    IMG_7620.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 584
  • IMG_7627a.jpg
    IMG_7627a.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 578
So if you didn't see the photos in my other post, you'll see what I was up on my birthday. I finally got around to painting the top on the Ford.

Now keep in mind a few things. First, I did this as a short term fix. One day when I have the money to properly strip the car down to bare metal for a good quality paint job, I will have this top done correctly. Also, in the latter pictures, the sheen is glossy from being wet paint still. It has since dried to a nice satin finish. It actually came out better than I expected. i also took a lot of close-up photos so i can one day replicate the texture as it came from Abbott & Hast.

Second, if you're wondering why I did it, two reasons. The original color was black. Goble's Fortuna Mortuary painted over the black with the metallic pea green to match their fleet color. The other reason is because the pea grean paint was in bad shape. Paint where Goble's had put their nameplates behind the rear side windows was peeled off. And on the top, the green had flaked off so bad, you could see where washing it left marks.

Anyway, back to the project. I used Rust-Oleum Satin black enamel. It is part paint, and part primer, so it will be a good hard coat that will protect the tiny spots of bare metal. After it was cleaned, I used a micro-fiber brush to avoid lint getting into the paint. And just like painting a house, I did edges by hand with a brush. After painting the insides of four houses, I'm extremely good at freehand painting perfect edges, so I didn't waste time with tape. Then when those were dry, I put down two coats with the roller.

All in all, I'm very happy with the results and look. I wouldn't recommend this for someone showing a car for awards, but as a nice looking top finish and protection of the surfaces, it's the best option I've seen. Now if you were going to show a car, you could probably use this paint with an automotive paint sprayer to get flawless results in a near correct finish. Anyway, here are the project photos. I'll add some outdoor posing photos, if it ever stops raining here...

http://rides.webshots.com/album/582043305ihqKuY

I think that it looks great, and it is preserved for the future. Have you ever asked Ron Hast, what they used to create the crinkle finish? It would be great to find the original materials if possible. With so many shops converting to all water based paints, getting our cars back to the original looking finish is going to be a daunting task. I am thinking of stocking some lacquer paint before it is gone from all paint suppliers.

it was not a high dollar paint that A&H put on the car to start with. using one that has been in business for all most 100 years can't be all that bad a paint. the problem with the semi is going chock on you. that was why the gloss thinned with acetone to kill the shine was a better choice. but hay try that when this one turns on you, if it does. out side in the weather these paints will last about two years before the gloss starts to go. limited exposure will give you at least double that. and at 24 bucks a Gl for what your doing the price is right.

Goble's Fortuna Mortuary

The original color was black. Goble's Fortuna Mortuary painted over the black with the metallic pea green to match their fleet color. The other reason is because the pea grean paint was in bad shape. Paint where Goble's had put their nameplates behind the rear side windows was peeled off. And on the top, the green had flaked off so bad, you could see where washing it left marks.

This was the sister to that. Sold it last year.

A couple of shots from today. Weather was terrific, sunny and about 65. Washed the car, took a long drive with Jen, and stopped along the way for photos. Once on the church's road next to my neighborhood, once at the local watering hole, and once at the Marietta National Cemetery.

After seeing the car in the sun for the first time and driving around today, I am very happy with the top. It just changed the whole way the car looks for the better.

Attachments

• DSC01628.jpg
    DSC01628.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 433
  • DSC01624.jpg
    DSC01624.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 2,709
  • DSC01630.jpg
    DSC01630.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 441
  • DSC01632.jpg
    DSC01632.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 443
Looks like a million bucks Adam, I really like that car and the black top looks fantastic :thumb:
One suggestion... if you have any black paint left, would you consider painting the spare tire well black that protrudes under the rear quarter panel? I never understood why those were usually painted body color.

I just had the roof done on the '59 Comet Olds last week. It was a little too far gone to do any "touch up", so had it stripped, and the spray-on bedliner material applied in a real thin coat. I think it turned out pretty good, overall. Had it in a large car show in Scottsdale last Saturday, and everyone who looked at the car HAD to run their hands over the roof.

Attachments

• Comet55.jpg
    Comet55.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 250
  • Comet56.jpg
    Comet56.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 243
  • Comet57.jpg
    Comet57.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 234
I have used the bedliner epoxy to stabilize fiberglass tops on older Chevy blazers and it has held up quite well, just something to think about.

it does as it's a plastic , but the key is to stop the rust first if you don't it will just creep under it like it does power coating. you can't put it over anything but a good surface. from a walk around the bed liner does a sharp job of cleaning up the car. it will last a long time if proper applied. I would do it on one of mine to get the right color. just don't park it next to a good wrinkle paint. the Maserati engine paint is cheap enough at 50 bucks a quart but a tricky chore to put one and it only comes in black or calf scour green.

Back