Compressor

Jean-Marc Dugas

PCS Member
I am looking at purchasing a better compressor. I just returned the one I purchased a couple of weeks ago as it was not powerful enough.

I want something that can run the air chisel and die grander relatively well. There is a DeWalt unit on sale with the following specifications. Do you think that it would have enough power to be useful?

1.9 HP
13 Gallon tank
5.4 CFM @ 90PSI

I'm no compressor expert, but I will tell you an air die grinder will consume more air than anything else you'll probably use (with the exception of a sandblaster unit). The bigger the tank, the better the performance. You need air capacity in a reserve tank to "keep up" with certain tools. I have a 13 gallon that does a lousy job keeping up with the die grinder... you have to stop & let the compressor catch up as your air pressure goes away. Of course a decent sized upright compressor is ideal... so watch Craigslist & maybe you'll find a larger compressor @ a reasonable price to meet your needs. Others will chime in on here to probably give you more exact specs, but i don't think you'd be happy with a 13 gallon for long runs with a die grinder.

don't bother. 5 Hp or better. will not necessary for home use I worked a 2 hp one to death. it worked but you had to be willing to wait a lot till it built back up. you need something that is capable of putting out at least 6 cubic feet per minute at 90 pounds per sq inch. the working pressure on most of the air tools is 90 psi. the draw will vary with the tool. but most will draw 3 to 5 and the sanders a lot more. what happens with to small a unit is you got to stop and let it build up all the time. you work it to death and walk away frustrated you can't get anything done. the tank doesn't have to be that large if the compressed can keep up to the tools. 20 gal in a portable one will work. one of them in about a 3 Hp electric will do for light work. most of them are still 110. but if you have it 220 power it is a lot cheaper. I always use the 3/8 hose and 100 ft of it will go far enough away. you want to stop by I'll give you my old pump and the motor. I finally changed it out to a bigger one. the boys at Harbor fright are a good source for these kind of things. so are your farm and ranch supplies. the automotive people may have good stuff but they are proud of it. if your not into production the 2 dollar tool will work as well as the 10 dollar one. it just doesn't have the name stamped on it. now a good set of cold chisels and a hammer will work but you really tear up. a good spot (spark) weld cutter and a electric drill would do most of it. with little damage. they get 2 bucks for one at harbor fright, 6 at eastwood for the same tool here is a picture of the best one I have found. it's a little hole saw with reversible cutter. a 1/4 in electric will power it just fine. one of the 4 inch electric grinders will nip off the tabs left behind to. but having air is nice.

Attachments

• 032816.jpg
    032816.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 231
Back