1957 Mercury Amblewagon fuel gauge help needed

Thomas E Westfall - Deceased 1970 - 2017

July 7, 1970 ~ June 10, 2017
So far the 1957 mercury commuter amblewagon is nearly 99.9% roadable. This year has been really productive and I have gotten alot done, but what is stumping me is the fuel gauge. The wire was cut somewhere on the car and pulled out by the previous owner and I have had no luck tracing it. I have 5 wires that run up the top of the transmission tunnel, but they head to the rear stop, tail, and turn lights. Under the dash is tight by the gauge do to some crazy wiring they did for the 4 way flasher switch mounted under the dash. The mercury books I have don’t give a real location on the wiring path let alone any real help. If anyone can help me find the basic path to look for the wire for the fuel sending unit I would appreciate it. I’m not sure why the PO removed it. Besides this, a new set of horns and the rust she drives nice and she finally saw some highway speed after 40 years stuck in disrepair. I’m on Facebook or could supply a phone number if necessary I just need help.

You don't need to know where the wire ran add a new wire and run it where its easy. If you have wiring diagrams you should be able to find the wire from the fuel gauge that was going to the tank under the dash. Color of wire should be in diagram you will then need to go to tank sending unit again the wires should be colored. The color of the wire on the sender should match the dash color (again check wiring diagram) run the wire any way you find easy from the front to the back BINGO you will have a fuel gauge.

Peter I'm can't get up to the gauge because of ACC's addition wireing in the way. I'm trying to find a diagram on the car. In the 5 wires I suspect the yellow is my fuel wire. The car is a 5500 mile original survived so I'm trying to keep everything absolutely stock. I would love to go to digital gauges as it would be easier for me to see.

Ok lets just be sure here what makes you think the wire is cut. have you checked back at the tank to be sure there is a wire there and does it have power? what color is the wire as it comes off the frame. if it has power at the connector your good to back there. if not there is a big square plug in the fire wall. check for power with the same colored wire as comes out. remember the sending unit is low voltage and a pulsating current. by the 60s they has almost stopped running separate wire out of a million holes in the fire wall most everything went in and out that body plug . usually it's off to the right . if it separate bundle with the taillights and comes out the fire wall on the right. but it will be the same color as it is at the connector in the rear.

John ED

unfortunately I'm not able to answer the question on my previous post do to my non member status. I can not post in the tech forum.
Thank you both for your help!

Please see the Administrators reply in post number 13.

Very true, It would be fun, but are there any active member in the Steubenville Ohio area. I have only seen one procar in a show or cruise around here and that was me.

Regardless of that - don't you think it would behoove you to give back to the organization whose members are freely giving you priceless advice and knowledge? That's how I felt about it when I joined...

Besides - there's an awesome magazine, the single meet I've been to (although small) was fun, and it seems your area is pretty active with PCS members anyway. Not bad for $40 or less per year.

your welcome. one could just kick in the minimum to this site to support it. opens up all but the club members portions . as the club does not fund this site only the users do, it helps all of us here. with out checking my membership roster I'm guessing that Ohio is one of the largest concentration of members. me I'm about 6 hr away from the nearest other member. I find communication on other sites like face book is not really communication. thats why I support this one .

your welcome. one could just kick in the minimum to this site to support it. opens up all but the club members portions . as the club does not fund this site only the users do, it helps all of us here. with out checking my membership roster I'm guessing that Ohio is one of the largest concentration of members. me I'm about 6 hr away from the nearest other member. I find communication on other sites like face book is not really communication. thats why I support this one .

Just so you know, I looked at the most recent roster, and it lists 80 members in Ohio alone, so there are plenty of members there. As you (ED) said, its about 79 more than some states have.
The price of membership is WELL worth it.

success!!

Thanks to a lodge brother that is a 40 year mercury mechanic that really knew his stuff I found where the wire was cut. The wire ran back thru the rear quarter and into the rail pan. It was cut and coiled up near the right tail light. Why I have no clue why you would go thru the hassle of taking everything apart to cut and coil up a wire instead of fixing it.

Ain't that the truth. I'm really think I'm going to finally get her to my lodge's car show September 19th. Unless something catastrophic happens. Since I have the inner rear panels out I'm going to fix a periodic taillight problem. The Holley 4bbl is still giving me grief, but that's just the nature of the beast.

Back