detail the engine compartment.

John ED Renstrom

PCS Member
Super Site Supporter
I'm getting started in cleaning up the engine room on the 72's I don't want to take the cars apart I just want them better then they are. going to try to do a little bit each day. any one want to watch the progress you can fallow here http://www.dropshots.com/jer57747 I started yesterday. Dan H confessed to me that he had sprayed a shot of paint into the cap of a spray can and used a brush to touch up places. I confessed to him that, that is a old body shop trick one I use a lot. so for things we can't take off and are to difficult to tape we will be doing this. even then it's still, rust converter first the paint the next day. my jug of rust dissolver is still on back order from Harbor fright and Colorado Springs is to far to run down and get some. so it's back to what I can get here at the auto store and the locale Ace Hardware store. then then here is what we started with on the combo

Attachments

• IMG_4335.jpg
    IMG_4335.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 181
You are certainly lucky that almost everything under your hood is black. I have been working on detailing the under hood of the Chrysler, and the firewall and inner pans are all body color. The engine is a turquoise that is discontinued in spray cans, leaving me with having to use a DeVilbis touch up gun to spray the engine. Seems that the more cleaning that I do, the less progress that I seem to be making.

Looks great Ed. Do you ever spray an engine grease remover all over everything then hose it off? I need to do my engine and have the same issues as Paul with colors from orange to blue to black.

Richard

first think is the decreased then the power wash then the rust converter.let that sit for a least 24 hr then wash off again. that will clean off any of the converter that gets on things that are not rusty. turned the rusty stuff white?? but now at least it's easier on the eyes. I remember the cars from GM in the 70's being all black under the hood. accessories being a color. I was really surprised to see Roberts 75 painted body color on the fire wall and under the hood. I still feel that it was a MM touch to do so. but don't have a caddy close by I can check. the key in making it look good is to get the colors back. I sprayed the ambulance flat black to just clean it up some. when you look under there everything is that. it does not look right. it really needs to be the semi gloss the combo is in it unmolested rusty self. one look at it and you would be afraid to drive it across town. a little paint will inspire the confidence. doesn't change any thing but your additude. but like you Paul I can't find the color for the engine. the 98 used a medium blue metallic in 72. the other Olds cars used the gold. so you can get it for your 442 but not your 98. pon had the blue metallic also but I don't know it they are the same. I'm checking it out. it is a lot easier to clean up one like the 86 were you were only dealing with dirt. but ever at this we are only going to spend less the 100 bucks to clean up these two cars.

You can try www.hirschauto.com for quarts and spray cans for the Oldsmobile. No such luck for me on the Chrysler. The only place that has the Chrysler paint is Eastwood, and it only comes in quarts.

I got to looking and I see the boys at Fusick automotive have the 70 to 75 455 blue. they only stock Oldsmobile stuff. my book is a little old so I'll check the other site to. can't have two many sorces.

Bill Hirsch Offers Both

Bill Hirsch offers both 49 - 79 Cadillac dark blue, and Chrysler 62 - 71 turquoise engine enamels rated at 700 degrees. They offer a choice of either 14 Oz. aerosol at $15.00, or full quart can priced at $34.00.

www.hirschauto.com.

they are offering to fill spray cans with auto colores for you
http://www.estoresecure.com/products.php?product_id=SPR-ENAMEL&store_id=1690
the tower site had a lot of products I have used not sure were they are on the parts food chain. but a 18 bucks a spray bomb for there colors it looks like a retail out let. Ditzler I know has all most all the colors on file. they may be mixing that. one would have to call and find out. but it's a source. we are paying any were from 9 to 24 out here for the spray bombs of color depending on the product mixed. but since they have lacquer I would think they mix Ditzler. now they have black wrinkle paint in spray bombs. do they have it in quarts. I'll make the call to find that out.

Bill Hirsch offers both 49 - 79 Cadillac dark blue, and Chrysler 62 - 71 turquoise engine enamels rated at 700 degrees. They offer a choice of either 14 Oz. aerosol at $15.00, or full quart can priced at $34.00.

www.hirschauto.com.

One of us must be hallucinating, since I checked the available colors for Chrysler, and they only show, blue, hemi orange, and red. No torquoise...:(

One of us must be hallucinating, since I checked the available colors for Chrysler, and they only show, blue, hemi orange, and red. No torquoise...:(

I got the color information from the ad they have in the current issue of Hemming's Motor News; June 2009, page 191.

got a little more done today it's starting to come to gather. working on the ambulance is a study in doing it right the first time is a lot easier then redoing it. when I got the car I had not even knowing the PCS was around all I wanted to do was clean up the engine compartment and cover up the rust. a can of flat black did that but that's all it did. going back in and redoing this is a chore. but it is falling together. I will have to go down and buy a can of paint to finish this I was hoping I could get away with using up what I have here but no luck.

forced to quit today on this project. i have a paying job come in. better to work on one for money then put money in yours I have to say. i really was at a quiting spot anyway . as I'm waiting for engine paint and the under hood pad for the Seville and need to paint white on the ambulance. finished up what I could and got to here with it.

Attachments

• 1972 before and after..jpg
    1972 before and after..jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 84
Damn............ That looks outstandning Ed. Can you do mine at the Flint meet. I can meet you a day or two early and we can sneak off somewhere and you can have it for two days.
I wish mine looked as good as your does. Nice job!

Richard

you got a lot of time. just go out and do one thing a day. the paints are all listed here. lot of different sources in this post. the ace hardware satin black is about 8 bucks a can the rest go for around 8-15 depending on were you get them. I would say if one had to go down and buy everything to start right now you could do this to any car for under 100 bucks and about 16 hr or at least right at 100 bucks. all you need is a two cans of black one can of gloss black for the air cleaner the detail gray, the silver cad and the engine paint of your color. the gold and enough green to fog it and the silver cad fogged over the top to do the gold cad. one can of tire foam. I like the turtle wax better then the armor all. but Kandy picked up the other when she got stuff for her car. tools are a old paint bush a old acid bush or wide artist brush, a scotch pad one can of engine degrease or simple green any thing that will cut the oil film off. the car wash works for your pressure washer and is only needed once. the garden hose will do after that. a roll of tape, few newspapers and and some elbow grease. I under stand the elbow grease is around the corner from the I want isle at wall mart. but it is a hard one to find. GM dipped the bare steel panels in a vat of lacquer paint thinned with gas. now really how had is it to duplicate that. the pictures show the difference but what they don't show is if you look close the car now looks like someone should do something under the hood. a nice layer of water spots and a little driving dust will make it look like no one has been there. before it had the forget it look about it. what we have done is bumped the car up a class the difference in have it look OK and being in such a bad need of something, is the difference between not placing and say 3. the key is the different colors. for a driver it may be all you want. either way its a easy fix for a bad problem that will drag a nice car into the it's to bad category. all we have done here is change the curb appeal of the car. you look at the out side and see the damage, then look under the hood and see that mess and you walk away. same car. do under the hood and the outside damage is now in the we can fix this and it will be Ok type of car. it's just used car tricks. the key is to make it look like you have not been there. but yes we could meet and I'll do yours in the parking lot.(been there done that). I'll only charge half the going labor rate in Flint. that should just about pay for my stay in flint. but if you want, swing by the house before and we can do it here for a lot less. the difference is the body color on the cowl of the caddy. you may need a can of undercoating to cover rust around the openings on a car of color. light coat of it will cover the rust still let the paint show threw and get you buy. what we could do is have a detail the car seminar. we'll use your car. you charge at the gate I'll put it on. any money left over from my fee will be yours. we get enough interest we might find some one else wants there car done and we can go it again. anything to keep out of the business meeting this go round. :rolleyes::D;)

Every day, I try to get one item degreased, cleaned, and prepped for paint. Today, I spent about an hour degreasing and cleaning these two parts. The next thing to do is to put them out in the sun to make sure that they are completely dry, and then give them a final wipe down with ether to make sure that there is no surface contaminants that will prevent the paint from sticking. I will give each a light coat of black primer, and then a finish coat. In a couple of hours, they will be ready to go back onto the car. If you try to do everything at once, you will need a lot of time and you will get tired of working on the car quickly. Best to spread out the work over a longer time period so you enjoy working on the car, rather than see it as a major chore.

Attachments

• MVC-001L.JPG
    MVC-001L.JPG
    37.3 KB · Views: 79
Here is the final 2 pictures of these pieces. In the first picture, you can see that one is already painted, and the other is still in primer. I ran out of gloss enamel, so I used what I had in the garage. I just did the small piece, because I didn't know if there was going to be a chemical reaction of the lacquer with the primer. It turned out that there was no problem, so I painted the other piece. Always make sure that your primer and top coat are compatible. I use Rustoleum paints for the reason. Now, all I have to do is to wait till the paint is fully cured in my outdoor paint booth oven.. :D

Attachments

• MVC-002L.JPG
    MVC-002L.JPG
    36.8 KB · Views: 58
  • MVC-003L.JPG
    MVC-003L.JPG
    41.8 KB · Views: 60
  • MVC-010L.JPG
    MVC-010L.JPG
    66.2 KB · Views: 62
I really agree with that. a little bit at a time and you will be surprised how fast it goes. I just wish the rust dissolver had gotten here, I got a notice it's still on back order. I would love to have a bead blaster to but I don't. none if this is necessary for you to have fun working on your car. no matter how good you do there is always some one that will go the extra time and expense to do it up 10 time better then Detroit turned it out. I really admire those people as I know what it takes to do that. myself I'll never have a 100 point car. I like to drive them. not load and unload them. keep them in a sealed bag when your not displaying it. but that is truly moving to a work of art not a drivable car. to just turn a spray can loose under there will cover it up. but it just doesn't look right. not a whole lot more work to use the different colors and end up with something you'll like to open the hood on. one other thing believe it or not if it's cleaned up and painted you'll get a better repair job out of people when you take it in. just human nature to want to do better on a nice car and slop out a junky old one.

I have been forced to quit for now on the ambulance. just the rubber dressing left to do so we are now here on it. make it a whole lot nicer to open the hood on.

Attachments

• 1972 ambulance before and after.jpg
    1972 ambulance before and after.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 83
  • 1972 siville before and after..jpg
    1972 siville before and after..jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 71
Back