Neutral Safety Switch with vacuum

I can't believe it! Went to pick up my 1968 M-M Classic 48 at the body shop this afternoon. It has been there since last fall. It is done! Looks outstanding by the way. The roads are presently dry in NW suburban Minneapolis area and it would have been a great day to drive home.

Neutral safety switch disintegrated as we tried to start it to drive out of the shop. Contacts fell out of the switch. Not repairable. Needs to have the vacuum on it to release the parking brake. Car won't start without it unless you jumper the contacts and defeat it. Not ready to do that. Not looking for advice on how to fix it, need a replacement.

So, anyone have one? Or know a source?

Pictures will be posted when I get the car home.

Scott Anderson

not a good one. they are darn expensive. off e-bay if you saved the parts they can be repaired. you can pop the brake manually, jump the electrical, put a golf t in the vacuum lines. the problem with them is the plastic crimped to the pot metal. and with time the grease gets stiff and you move the contact slug and it jumps out of the holders. if you can find the two contacts and the springs. pen spring can be made to work you can clean it up re lube the contacts and clamp it back to gather with a bead of super glue. the one on this 69 has been holding for a year now. mail it to me I'll put it back together for you
but you can check with Fisk, Caddy Daddy and the other after market caddy people or drop down to the yard and get a used one. you find a 68 that quarter molding should be on it to. but if I'm not mistaken it has to be a 68. all I have here is one off a 70 and the vacuum is different. it works electroly on the 69 but not vacuum

Attachments

• IMG_2657a.jpg
    IMG_2657a.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 221
CADILLAC 1967 1968 DELCO REMY NEUTRAL SAFETY SWITCH 1993386 D-2277

just checked eBay, and the price for used ones go from a low of $35 for a parts one to be rebuilt, to a high of $180 for a fully functional one. You just don't find NOS units any longer, and when you do, the price is usually $250 or more.

Pictures below are from a eBay auction...

Attachments

• 1968 1.jpg
    1968 1.jpg
    17 KB · Views: 211
  • 1968 2.jpg
    1968 2.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 208
  • 1968 3.jpg
    1968 3.jpg
    16.9 KB · Views: 206
Google Cadillac Tim

Tim Graves in Anderson, SC has limited his business to electrical parts. I think it would be worth a phone call to him. Good luck!!!!

if you do get a used one clean up the crimp between the plastic and the pot set it on a flat spot and "tap" the crimps down. both sides. then put a bead of super glue around the seam. all that happens is that the crimp works loose and it finely falls apart. they just were not designed to last 50 years. kind of like the ignition switch.

Thanks all. The shop had already rebuilt it once and it blew up after a few moves of the shift lever. Split open along the seam and contacts and springs fell out. Not looking very good for another attempt at rebuilding.

Checking on a couple of leads in Minnesota that would be easy to drive to and pickup. The body shop guy does a lot of classic cars and has some good sources for parts.

Attila, if nothing pans out here I'll get back to you next week. Thanks for checking.

getting the plastic back on can be a task. I have used hog rings to pinch it on. I had to do this one of Paul's twice. we had the same thing happen to it. save the pieces and send them out don't forget I have a 68 to. spare parts are about all we get to fix these things with

Back