Switch to 12 volt system or not?

I'm with Paul, Mike, and the others. I have a '53 Henney Packard which was, and still is, 6v. It runs fine, and any problems are not related to being 6v. Unless you are planning on adding modern electrical equipment (hope not), I think you should be fine staying with the 6v system.

I have switched to using either NGK or Nippondenso (aka Denso) spark plugs. Seems that they are the best for my cars.

I never wanted to switch it over to the 12 v system simply because the car is meant to be a 6 v. If it worked as a 6 v. before, it should again (with a lot of TLC). The siren and red lights are original to the car and work great, I was afraid that a 12 v system would ruin them. The first two things on my list is getting the electric fuel pump and carburetor re checked. Then I will go from there. Thanks everyone for the advice, you have confirmed my feelings about this car, keep it as original as possible!

if it is not running right on 6 volts then 12 will cure nothing. not running right describes a lot of things. but I can guess hard starting is not one of them. most went to 12 to get the 6 volt starter to spin faster making the lower compression worn out engine start easier. sounds like people have been putting the shot gun approach to the tune up. that just scatter new parts at it till something cures the problem. fuel and sitting are the major problems facing us on cars that are stored not used. even a little Alcohol in the fuel will separate and rust out the bottom of the tank in one just sitting. you try to start it and suck up the rust plugging up your new carb. 12 volts will not cure a fuel problem. then you drop the 12 volts back to 6 to run the electrical side of the engine any way so what will 12 volts help there.

going to a alternator will cure the low out put of the 6 volt gen. but that woun't help not running right.
fresh high test change the filter or put a inline on the fuel line and drive it a bit see if things don't straighten up.

I would not even consider an electric fuel pump, since if the mechanical pump is working as designed, it will be more than ample for your car.

I don't think 12 v is worth the work

Being a little hung up on how it came from the factory, I don't see a need to go to 12. Just me. Good luck!

Good Grief.

Whatever you do don't change that car to 12 volt. The car was designed built and wired to run on 6 volt and will do so quite nicely thank you very much. Any mechanic who can't fix the 6 volt system would only make a worse mess trying to convert you to 12 volt. I have more than one contour Packard still running fine on 6 volts.

Back