The Criterion has landed!

As many of you know, I purchased a 1975 MM Criterion from Philadelphia, and my brother, who lives in NYC, was going to drive it to Toronto and I was going to meet it there and put it on a train for Vancouver. This ambulance was originally owned by the Kneehill Alberta Ambulance Society, and has been owned in the distant past by PCS member Terry Lange.

Well, it happened...and I'm pleased to report that Criterion body number 75568 was repatriated to Canada on November 26th. My wife and I were in Niagara Falls to greet her, and were eagerly waiting as she crossed the border with my brother at the wheel.

I won't soft-soap things...she needs some work. There's a fair bit of surface rust, though very little rust-through, and some water damage to the headliner and rear linoleum. Mechanically, she needs a steering box badly, and the heater isn't working. As well, someone has rewired the rear running lights to a toggle switch under the dash, so I suspect the headlight switch needs replacing. I enjoy vehicle electrical stuff, so these issues don't intimidate me.

Sadly, the MARS 888 light is completely rusted through in several places, so I predict a call to John Dorgan in my not-too-distant future. The four Full-Vu lights are in great shape, as is the four-rotor Federal Twin-Sonic light bar. I do intend, though, to remove the light bar and replace it with a Federal 184 as she was originally equipped. I have a pair of NOS ones on hand. One of the rear Unity floodlights has been removed, but is still with the vehicle. The other flood is in place. Both are quite rusty, and I will be replacing them. The CP100 speaker on the passenger side is there and in good shape. The driver's side one is missing, and has been replaced with a TS100. That will be resolved as soon as I can find a driver's side mount. Any thoughts?

Mechanically, she drives well (aside from leaking power steering fluid). I had her on the freeway for about 45 minutes, enjoying life at up to 100 miles per hour, and she was steady, responsive and smooth. That big ol' 500 cubic inch engine likes to dig in and go! A bit of exhaust noise, probably a manifold gasket, but not a big deal. Unfortunately, she threw a fan belt and travelled the last 60 miles to the train on a flat-deck at a cost of $300.00.

She's on the train now, and will be in Vancouver in about 10 days. I'm looking forward to bringing her home. I'll have some pics for you shortly.

I can see Doug went to the Richard Vyse School of posting picutres of everything! Not that that's a bad thing! :p

Glad to see it making it's way "home". I can't wait to see it......again!:D

Congratulations Doug and good luck with it! As you know, by their size and nature of these cars we love, they are biiiiiiggggg projects.

Welcome Back Doug

:thumbsup:Welcome back Doug...how exciting. I'm sure it'll be hard to wipe the smile off your face. See you when you're back in BC. Hope the CN strike doesn't affect the shipping of your ambulance.

Bill

Bill Leverett, you know I'm grateful to you in many ways for your assistance with this project. When you get over this way in December, there's a jug of the Dominican Republic's finest rum waiting for you.

The Criterion should be here by then, so we'll drink rum, check her out, then drink more rum!

Fortunately, she's coming by ViaRail, so the strike shouldn't affect her.

See you soon!

Back