"So you like hearses?"

My 1954 Galion ph. bk. shows a W H Kunkel living at 224 N. Market, right across the street from the former hearse building. I think that is the address now of the Stowe fellow who used the building until a couple years ago. He may be an in-law of the K's. Same ph bk shows 221 being occupied by Swalley Motors, purveyors of Packard and Kaiser automobiles. That certainly did not last much longer. I would really like to see the McP article you mentioned. On to Piqua...................

Just checking how good the ole' memory is, the Moyer's were Shorty and Toad.......correct???

2 years ago Moyers went through the old parts of the yard with a portable crusher. All the old procars are gone except one... an early 70's limo-style Superior combo & I have no idea why they saved it because it's picked clean!

I have interesting stories too about turning cars up in the late '80-mid '90s that ran through Moyers 20 years earlier... They had one of the largest collections of BMW Isettas in the country back then with 60-70 in the yard at any given time, and more than 200 they figure total within a few year span. Few were crushed - most were sold off in groups. I chased a number of them down and was successful buying more than 20 by following different leads at different times. :thumb:

Back to the '49 Flxible:

Today's visit (the 5th attempt for those keeping score) brought marginal success! Although nobody was home, a neighbor happened to be leaving and stopped over. Turns out his son lives next door - the door I've been trying! I learned that the '49 has not moved in at least 5 years; it was running until that point; it is all original & unrestored; it actually belongs to another son that has since moved 7 hours away and left the coach where it sits.

The gentleman was kind enough to pass along his son's number. Then followed up by stating what their plans for the '49 are (were?):

Start a themed catering business - marketed to provide meals to grieving families, complete with a casket that would turn into a grill.

Yeahyeahyeah. I cringed inside too. All the more validity to keep pushing and land into someone's capable hands. Far too sweet a survivor for that fate~

Start a themed catering business - marketed to provide meals to grieving families, complete with a casket that would turn into a grill

I'm pretty open minded and accepting of a lot of different ideas but that just seems wrong on more than a couple of levels. :confused:

Yes, that is pretty awful all around. But, I think a 3-way coach could be effectively employed in food service. You order a pizza, 20 min. later the coach appears, driver swings a side door open, hits the button, and out comes the pizza table with your extra pepperoni hot and fresh.

Attila, I wanna be like you when I grow up. I don't know how you do it, you must have a nose to find all of these great cars. That car needs rescued fast.

I'll second that. When was the last you saw an honest to gosh '49 Flxible Buick. These things are rare these days. Atti seems to have the magic touch for finding rare collectables. My hats off to him. However, these rare survivors need proper owners who will give them the care they deserve. Here's hopeing that someone in the PCS will step up to the challenge and preserve these gems.

now wait a minute with out these people having snap this cheap old car up and had these big dreams it would not be here today. but is would be sitting in a yard some were either crushed or just ready to go. yes it's time that the car got the care it deserves but with out the people that keep the car were it is up to now it would have been gone. once the first owner scraped the car it was on the down hill slide. so any one that has keep it out of the the scrap heap is to be thanked.

I've yet to speak with the owner. His father gave permission to untarp.

dsc00561h.jpg

Passenger door glass missing, which was the only one. No damage to those remaining.

dsc00569gh.jpg

While it appears all original, upon close scrutinizing, at least a couple portions have been repainted.

dsc00574bd.jpg

This coach was originally black. Kept going back and forth trying to figure out if this is original paint. The patina matches, so if it is was repainted, it was long ago. The roof I'm almost certain is original paint but I found a couple runs in different areas on the body; no overspray anywhere; no clearly defined lines of being repainted. Can't imagine any runs would have left the factory. After washing it would probably be more prevalent which.

dsc00582ky.jpg

dsc00581c.jpg

Regardless, it is super solid. Sills, rockers, wheelwell lips - no rust. Couldn't get decent underbody pics with the crapola on either side, which stunk from stagnant water in the bottom edges of the tarp.

dsc00562i.jpg

dsc00563su.jpg

All 5 doors open properly, shut solidly, with no sag.

dsc00564bu.jpg

Keys still in the ignition. Gotta' love it. Hey - what's that in the glovebox..?

dsc00568i.jpg

Smile. Taken off for safekeeping or perhaps for that repaint..?

dsc00565hu.jpg

Front seat shows the most amount of wear on the entire coach. Air filter and passenger arm rest are on it.

dsc00570z.jpg

dsc00571kl.jpg

Not shocking if 37,970 is the accurate mileage given the overall condition.

dsc00566of.jpg

dsc00573f.jpg

Even the rubber mats are molded 'Flxible'. Nice detail. Lower compartment holds original jack.

dsc00579ch.jpg

No WD40 needed for the attendant seats' hinges. How easily they pivoted raised my eyebrows. Driver's side skirt located behind seat.

dsc00577e.jpg

5 pieces of wood above windows (including partition in rear compartment); 1 piece is split. Most still had pull down shades in place - although I didn't attempt pulling any down.

The more I go over this, the more I want it to end up in capable hands... Further updates as they come in. Hope you've enjoyed seeing what's under the unsightly blue tarp.

We've all just been speechless in awe! :D

Yes indeed!!! First is that I am amazed and thankful for the cars that Attila turns up and posts!! I LOVE pictures of any coach that I have not seen before and if not for people like Attila I probably never would!!
This car is very nice and I like it a LOT!!!
I would like to know, the way the taillights are mounted in the fender and how the fender extends rearward past them, is that standard Buick or is this something that was done by Flxible??

Dana Bennett.
Forestville, NY

Taillights...

The taillights appear to be in their original location, per Buick design:

49856100.CFC0502loDSCN2493.jpg

Attachments

• 49856100.jpg
    49856100.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 272
Last edited by a moderator:
Finally met with John and had a great time hanging out. The short? He'll think about selling the Buick but didn't set a price.

The long version? Read on.

John is the oldest of 3 sons. His middle brother, Robert, purchased this '49 from Ardeen Vaughn in '97, who had acquired it in CA. It sat at Robert's funeral home for 3-4 years, actually seeing service a couple times in that period. :specool:

Robert sold the funeral home, which did not include the Flxible, then moved to Amarillo, TX.

The coach went to a local storage/mechanic's place for a couple years after that. That place kept it roadworthy and actually rented it for a couple movies shot in Austin. (No, I don't know which. Film industry is pretty big here. The entire old airport has been converted to a studio.) When room was needed, the Flxible was dropped off in John's driveway where it hasn't budged since.

John's father, Sonny (the one I'd spoken too a couple times previously who lives next door), is quite famous in his own right. Known as the Fajita King for inventing the fajita, he now enjoys tailgating in his senior years - whether it is the college world series of baseball or UT games. He loves passing out free fajitas. This is where the catering idea stems from, although between a multitude of funeral/restaurant/catering stories, they blended together somehow. Whoops.

Sonny likes the Flxible and the idea of using it for tailgating. John would have a tough time selling the Flxible while Sonny is still alive, even though his idea hasn't gotten off the ground in several years of talking about it. Smart enough to understand the rarity and condition, John wouldn't compromise the body if Sonny ever did start using it. (Then again, there isn't a surefire way of removing the original interior without risking damage for reuse at a later date.) Of course I inquired about swapping vehicles with another vintage limo-style coach, which is a possibility.

Ardeen has never provided the title according to John. Otherwise the Flxible would not have been sitting as long as it has.

If you ever find out a price or if they actually want to sell it let me know. If I can get the money I would be more than happy to give it a home here in GA next to my 1960 S & S. I would make that car good as show room perfect.

Back