strong coach week upcoming!

arghhhh!

Sadly, not all leads pan out - big surprise, right? :bonk:

Years ago I wondered what a shortened 6 window roof would look like. Now I know. Don't get me wrong, I'd still finish this homemade conversion and use it! Tailgate needs replaced with a period one. Fun start but no flower car...

60cad1.jpg

60cad1b.jpg

Best part perhaps? Turns out this is in the US & not Mexico - although close. Will follow up regardless as it is a neat piece.

Still have 2-3 more coach surfacing possibilities before week's end.

Spoke with the elderly ex-junkyard owner this afternoon. I am driving there within the next 10 days or so. He has over 400 units remaining - including cool '50s wagons.

What I'd like is one of YOU to buy the '58 Superior Pontiac high top military ambulance as it is the best deal yet unclaimed. There are both '58 Pontiac 4D and '58 Pontiac wagon(!) with nice front fenders, grill, front bumper, quarter trim, etc. He will include the best items shown missing, making the ambulance almost complete. (Doesn't know if there is a good hood left.) He's agreed to drop $400 off the Pontiac price because of other cars leaving if paid at the same time. >>>>>$2k<<<<< As stated earlier - no retarded price! Granted, it isn't a Cadillac - but it *is* a high top.

I'll coordinate if someone wants to meet up there.

The '61 & '65 are unspoken for so far.

Not mentioned until today's conversation that was forgotten about? A '49 commercial Packard "family car". Given the description, sounds like an extended chassis informal limo with jump seats. Rear side doors are stretched about 8". Would this be Henney or factory..? Don't know if I've ever seen one.

This evening I drove a different direction into the country to check out more. Recently divorced couple, their acreage has sold, thought it may be a good time to deal.

dsc01750u.jpg

'57 Series 75 limo. No motor, grill, bumper, or windshield. Most removed stainless was inside. Jump seats still present. Not rusty so could be restored. Husband wasn't around so I'm awaiting price.

dsc01746g.jpg

This property has Cottonmouths and Copperheads. Oh - and these ugly sumbitches e v e r y w h e r e:

dsc01724e.jpg

Yeah, it is as big as your current mental image. My hands are medium size and the body on this 'harmless' banana spider is the same as my thumb. Each car had a couple on/in them. Webs go from the waistline to the ground 6' away. In thigh high grass those webs can still be missed - until grasshoppers hopping every which direction land on one. Then you see how *fast* these damn spiders are. While focusing from 3' away on this one, it dropped down 2', entirely cocooned a large grasshopper, then returned to almost the same spot in a total of 5 seconds. Joy.

dsc01757n.jpg

Sadly this '40s Superior will never see the road again. With any luck it may donate parts that will.

dsc01763fj.jpg

Riddled with bullet holes and rot. Bumpers & trim are usable but I don't know what the plan is with it.

dsc01762vl.jpg

Really am a sucker for blank off plates.

dsc01759yj.jpg

I noticed that it even has a rotten out glove box door. That shortened 60 cad is still a good looking car. Like you said the rear gate has to be reworked for sure.

Rocky, forgot to mention inquiring about that '56 Olds. He has two cars and remembers both rear bumpers being in nice shape.

I plan on staying @ least 2 days to get a decent grasp on what's there. If I can drag that bumper 900 miles closer - cool.

That goes for the rest of you as well with other parts. Dwayne still needs '66 front bumper ends. What else should be thrown on a list?

Atti, do you wear boots that are snakebite proof? Sounds like some hairy territory down there. Not used to venomous snakes up here.

Brendan, snakes don't bother me. Was bitten by a young Copperhead on a scouting trip growing up. Pretty cautious out hunting since. The bite of small poisonous snakes is worse - not that the venom is more potent. They haven't learned to regulate it yet and typically inject everything they have.

dsc01773p.jpg

Positive sign traveling out seeing a hearse in front. I know through the magic of the internet given the amount I've seen this week you think they must all be close together. They're not. Texas is a big state. Ha.

Today was quite challenging out looking in the field. 99 degrees; the sun was particularly brutal. The place? A long ago forgotten about wrecking yard. Between 1500-2000 units were scrapped in the mid-'70s, then it closed. Left were close to 200 cars from the '20s-'60s, now massively overgrown. Chest high grass, scared animals, giant bugs (go figure in TX, right?), cars so hidden that some couldn't be seen from 5' away, never ending sweat in eyes a mile away from the car, etc. After posting I'm going to soak in a cold shower to rehydrate.

dsc01787j.jpg

Surprise! I actually didn't expect to see any procars and was after '50s Cadillacs. '52 ('53?) Miller limousine combination. Been hidden here for decades!

dsc01794m.jpg

Caught my embalmer/bone harvester girlfriend taking a peek. She's a trooper to willingly take on these adventures.

dsc01905n.jpg

This guy was almost twice the size of the previous one I showed. Must of recently fed! Yuck. Web was above the rear loading door. Glad I noticed before my girlfriend wrapped her face in it.

dsc01797u.jpg

Back window is broken. Other than that it looks restorable. Rust was minimal.

dsc01796g.jpg

Decent pics weren't happening. I do plan on returning later this fall when foliage is GONE.

dsc01777nb.jpg

One of the cars I liked here is this intact '55 Coupe DeVille. Noticed a few '56s Sedan DeVilles too. Another cool one was a '59 Buick flattop. Gentleman who owns property now isn't into selling parts but he will drag entire cars out. All the more reason to head back when they can be checked out more closely.

Lastly this week, I struck out on the final pair of procars I was chasing to show you all. A funeral home that closed around '72 in rural TX still had a pair of coaches sitting all this time - well, sort of. Turns out they 'disappeared' about 3 years ago. I'll leave you hanging on what they are as I follow up further but know this: They're BOTH rare models and not newer than '60! :4_11_9:

Well Atti, I give you a lot of credit, I hate f-ing snakes and the ones up here are harmless. If I got bit by a copperhead I would be living in Iceland.

Stopped again today. Like I couldn't find anything else better to do in triple degrees~

dsc01923.jpg

Checked out the limo more closely. Repainted in green metalflake over the original black at some point, now faded out.

dsc01924.jpg

'59/'60 lower quarters are one of the first areas to rot. Driver's side had none - rare.

dsc01931.jpg

Likewise, passenger side quarter's lower edge is good. There is bondo in this quarter however, looks to cover dents as it has fallen out in chunks. Note front edge of quarter behind door.

dsc01936.jpg

Driver's floor has rust, rest looks solid. Given the year and popularity, it'd be tough to find a more decent one to restore. Will find out later this week about availability.

Attila,

I may not ever buy one of the coaches that you are so good at locating since I am well aware of my skill level however, I just want to say how much I enjoy your posts. Your dedication is remarkable and knowledge is astounding. You make this site seem like a good book, you don't want to walk away and when you do you can't wait to get back. I'm not easily impressed by anything or anyone but you are a rare gem. Thank you for sharing with all of us.

Back