The Eureka Lives another day !!

As some of you know, I blew the head gaskets on the 4.1 back on June 14 We knew it was the head gaskets because she was "eating antifreeze" and blowing white smoke from the tail pipe and running rough. Just before I towed it home for the season and start looking for a 4.5 engine to replace it , my buddy as a joke said lets try putting some "MIRACLE IN A CAN" ( I think it was called Block Seal ??) in it and see what happens ? nothing to lose right ?????

so we did. We drained what was left of the antifreeze and filled it with water put the stuff in and ran the engine for about an hour, then shut it off and let it sit for a few days. After about a week we started it back up and ran it shut it down again and waited .......nothing happened the water did not go down so we tried it again and again took it up and down the road got it up to temp and again the water level did not move. so we decided to replace the fan senser with an aftermarket on set that for 185 degrees and installed a manual switch so if need be I can run the fans all the time. we checked the old senser ....it was set for 205 degrees !!!!

so yesterday I brought the Eureka home drove it around and nothing she runs great I'm going just drive it around the town for the next few weeks and see what happens but so far so good

But I'm still thinking about putting a real temp gauge in under the dash

This is the FIRST time I have had all 3 running at the same time ( the Mini, the Horton and the Eureka ) can you see me smile ???? lol

I'm going out tonight with the Eureka and buy myself a Lottery Ticket !!! lol

I had good luck with K&W Block Sealer on my 57 Lincoln but my "leak" was I was getting exhaust back into the cooling system. Keep the Cadillac local & see how she performs and save your pennies for the ultimate repair.

thats what I would do putter it around and short trips. seen a few that got fixed this way. if the heat did not take the temper out of the rings or the seals out of the valves so that oil runs threw it it's good to go. if you decide to keep it. start with the heads, it may even be only a gasket. the odds are it will blow out the plug over time but how long a time is the mystery. if there is no other damage to the engine the repair may be not all that expensive a one. but for now drive it and see what happens. now you have time to check into things. one question did you pull the plugs to see were the water was coming from? you may only have to pull one head.

Back