Kennedy hearse at Barrett-Jackson 2012

as far as I can tell.... BJ hasn't even really mentioned or showed the Coach on T.V. in the last two nights. seems to me its like night and day from last year .....they don't even want to say its there ?

what drives me nuts is the Charity Auctions BJ has sure the money is all going to Charity...but really all it is is a tax write off for the guys who can afford it. 9 times out of 10 the hightest bid of the day will be a charity Auction car...guys don't care how much they pay its all a write off
plus how many times can you Auction off a Vet or Bike or a Mustang ???? or better yet...a Diesel Jetta race car ?

As far as I know you can't write off the money you spend on a charity auction item if you actually get something in return. The person who donated it can get a write-off, but the purchaser can't, because they are not just donating to a charity, they are receiving goods for their money.

you got to be honest this BJ thing is a rich kids playground. money spent here is no reflection on value of the car. only how deep the pocket and ego of the buyer is. BJ brings them in wine and dines them and fleeces them same as any carnival barker at the fair grounds. there are people that over paying because they can. out bidding someone else that's were the fun is. not the acquiring of a wanted car. Ms Allen bailing out the lady who bailed out BJ was a business decision. the ambulance went cheap enough for her and the drawing card for her museum at 35 bucks a pop to look at it was worth the expense. to many people that have see this hearse have stated it looks rough
so we see if it brings the high dollar expected or less then the ambulance which was at least a fairly clean car. it only brought 10x it's actual value. for BJ that was a steal. for any serious ambulance enthusiast it was a 5 to 10 thousand dollar car and lets pass for a more flasher civilian one for the same money. from the description of it by people that have see it this one is a 3 to 5 thousand dollar car that needs a lot to be sharp. that's why it never brought the money at privet sale and why BJ is not show casing it. of course these are only my take on things yours may differ.

Anybody else notice how they are referring to Rat Rods as "Petena Rods"?:shit2: Its almost like their to good to say the words Rat Rod!:loser: And the commentator Tuesday night looked like he was afraid of the one he was talking about, like he was gonna catch something from it!:puke2:

Did Tammy Allenactually purchase said Ambulance, or did she purchase it on the behalf of Barret -Jackson to get the contoversy over and done with, We will never know - will we.

Tammy didn't even bid on it originally. Or the story at the time was She wanted to but didn't. It was sold to a local couple who were then approached by Tammy who then negotiated a price for it.

I think it was just 5000.00 more then the selling price that Tammy paid.
Who know for sure.

That just added more fuel to a fire burning out of control like a California
wild fire.

Since loosing all respect for the BJ boys, no... BJ kids, I haven't bothered to
attend or watch any auctions since.

I don't get the speed channel as I don't watch much TV. I may see if I can watch the ambulance part Sat. if I can find someone with the channel so I can see who bids on the car and how much it sells for for myself.

Like I said before... the car itself isn't anything special and not worth any serious money.

Let the people spend !

Darren

Front page in today's Az Republic has the story and quoted Robert Shepard about the whole controversy. Robert even was able to get in a plug for PCS.

Front page in today's Az Republic has the story and quoted Robert Shepard about the whole controversy. Robert even was able to get in a plug for PCS.

JFK hearse headlines Barrett-Jackson car auction

by Peter Corbett - Jan. 19, 2012 11:01 PM
The Republic | azcentral.com

A white hearse that carried President John F. Kennedy's body in Dallas after his 1963 assassination is among the high-profile vehicles with celebrity links expected to sell for hundreds of thousands of dollars at this weekend's Barrett-Jackson Collector Car Auction in Scottsdale.

The 1964 Cadillac transported the casket carrying the slain president's body and first lady Jacqueline Kennedy from Parkland Memorial Hospital on the 3-mile trip to Dallas Love Field and Air Force One.

slideshow PHOTOS: Barrett-Jackson 2012 | slideshow Close up: 10 cars up for auction

The immaculately maintained car's 10 minutes of fame has earned it a spot on the auction block Saturday at Barrett-Jackson, when a few seven-figure cars are also expected to change hands.

Built by the Miller-Meteor Co. of Piqua, Ohio, the hearse with 47,818 miles was previously offered on eBay for $1 million.

It was bid up to $900,000 in the online auction, but bidders did not hit the seller's reserve, or minimum price, said Craig Jackson, Barrett-Jackson Auction Co. chairman.

"We'll see what it's really worth," he said, noting that the hearse is being offered at no reserve Saturday, which means a sale is likely.

Celebrity cars are a staple of Barrett-Jackson and the other auction houses that congregate in Scottsdale, Phoenix and Fountain Hills each January.

Those vehicles spark interest at the auctions, but serious collectors are generally focused more on rare pre-war classics, European sports and race cars and American muscle cars from the 1960s to early 1970s.

Cars with celebrity owners defy price estimates.

A rather ordinary 1953 Buick sedan that Howard Hughes owned sold in 2005 for $1.62 million at Barrett-Jackson's auction in Palm Beach, Fla. Two years ago, a 1930 Model A that John Dillinger reportedly used as a getaway car brought $165,000 in Scottsdale.

This year's celeb cars include film star Marlene Dietrich's 1929 Rolls-Royce Phantom I convertible at Bonhams' auction at the Westin Kierland Resort in Phoenix.

Bonhams, new to the Valley auction scene, is also selling a 1974 Rolls-Royce Silver Shadow that got its 15 minutes of fame when pop-culture artist Andy Warhol owned it for 13 years.

Dietrich's Rolls sold for $524,000 on Thursday, Bonhams spokesman Jared Zaugg said.

Last year, a 1963 Pontiac Bonneville ambulance also linked to President Kennedy sold at Barrett-Jackson for $132,000 to Addison Brown of Paradise Valley, despite issues raised before the auction about its authenticity.

Critics questioned whether it was the actual Navy vehicle that carried the president's casket from Air Force One to Bethesda Naval Hospital. That dampened bidders' enthusiasm.

"We got caught up in the Kennedy conspiracy theories," said Jackson, whose auction house defended the ambulance's provenance.

The ambulance is in collector Tammy Allen's car museum in Grand Junction, Colo.

The ambulance was not legitimate, according to the research of the John F. Kennedy Presidential Library and Museum, said Robert Shepard, president of the Golden State Chapter of the Professional Car Society.

However, the hearse is not in dispute.

"There is no question about the authenticity of this vehicle," Shepard said, adding that the chain of custody is well-documented for the 1964 Cadillac hearse.

Only a handful of bidders is likely, and it is difficult to say how much they will be willing to spend, he said.

"There is nothing positive associated with this car," Shepard said. "It's a negative to begin with, and it's a hearse, even if its place in history is well-documented."

The Cadillac hearse was a new car for the O'Neal Funeral Home in Dallas when the Secret Service used it to carry Kennedy's casket. The first lady rode in a jump seat in the back of the vehicle, which the funeral home had to track down at the airport after the Secret Service and Air Force One departed for Washington.

More than 2,500 cars are on the auction block this week at Barrett-Jackson and the other five events: Russo and Steele, RM Auctions, Gooding & Co., Silver Auctions and Bonhams.

Results from the early auctions show income running well ahead of last year's events.

Sales of 158 cars at Barrett-Jackson on Tuesday totaled $3.85 million, up 14 percent from a year ago, and Wednesday's total of 249 cars for $7.75 million was 10 percent over 2011, the auction house said.

McKeel Hagerty, whose company insures collector cars, said there are a lot of good cars and buying momentum going into the weekend.

He expects that Gooding & Co. will again have the most seven-figure sales, including a 1955 Mercedes-Benz 300 SL with an aluminum body.

Gooding estimates the car's value at $2.5 million to $3 million.

I was watching BJ last night and noticed guys still do this...as soon as they see a T.V. camera they grab their cell phones and PRETEND to be talking on them all the while looking into the camera !! W.T.H. is that ?? I don't get it

also why must the BJ guys scream like crazy people when they are dealing with a bidder? if they only knew how stupid they look !

ok done with my Rant !

Having covered a lot of New York area Christie's & Bonhams auctions for OLD CARS WEEKLY over the years, I can confirm these are much more genteel affairs, with no one in-your-face from B-J bullying you to ignore the wife and bid more, more, MORE! YOU KNOW YOU WANT IT!! At a Bonhams collector car auction, the podium has an Englishman in a crisply-tailored suit, crisply and slowly annunciating "$100,000 ... $100,000 ... do I hear $105,000. $105,000, back of the room. Thank you, sir! Do I hear $110,000? ... $110,000? .... $110,000 on the phone ... do I hear $115,000? Fair warning! $115,000 from the gentleman to my right. Thank you, sir! (Gavel cracks here) Your paddle number, please? Thank you, sir!" (Cue smattering of polite applause in tent)

As I can't figure out how to undo it, I should make the correction here that my groan at Tim Prieur's post about the TPC 135 cover story being on display beside the car in Scottsdale was NOT because I thought his intel was "unuseful." I groaned because I'm a bit galled that the PCS is being touted as the stamp of authenticity on this "JFK" Miller-Meteor Cadillac, after B-J would have loved to see us and the rest of the pesky "basement bloggers" simply go away after we started challenging the authenticity of last year's Superior Pontiac! Surely, I'm not the only one who feels a bit used here? Perhaps we ought to ask for a cut of the buyer's premium if McPherson's story ends up boosting the hammer price of Lot 1293!

Last edited:
Just visited Barrett-Jackson's website, attempting to ascertain the time on Saturday that the JFK 1964 Miller-Meteor will run as lot 1293. According to the list posted at http://www.barrett-jackson.com/appl...list.aspx?aid=443&sd=01/21/2012&ed=01/21/2012, Saturday's lots start at #1212, but a grand total of 152 cars will cross the block that day prior to #1293, owing to a number of decimal-designated "in-between" lots. Webmaster Steinberg is likely right on the money this coach will cross the block in East Coast "primetime" somewhere between 6 and 8 pm. :drama:

as far as I can tell.... BJ hasn't even really mentioned or showed the Coach on T.V. in the last two nights. seems to me its like night and day from last year .....they don't even want to say its there ?
I compleatly agree. I would have thought at some point tonight they would bring it up being that its roling across the block tomorrow night, but no, I haven't even so much as seen it or heard anything about it. They are acting like they are ashamed to have it at the auction, but yet they have it rolling across the block on prime time Saturday night. If they are that ashamed of it, they should have ran it across on Tuesday. They get a fake last year, and they talk it up all week like crazy. This year they get the real deal, and they hardly want to say anything about it at all. I just don't get these boys.

Josh

Last edited:
Yesterday I received an email from a reporter in Phoenix asking about the hearse, and if it is the real thing. Since I was up to my eyeballs in work, I passed the message to Website Administrator Robert Shepard. Later last evening, he was relaying the information to me about the phone call, however, right in the middle of our conversation, my phone went dead, since the power went out as a result of the snow storm. I spoke to him briefly today, and when I checked our visitor stats, we were almost double the normal number. I believe that a lot of prospective bidders are educating themselves by reading our posts. We may be "basement bloggers" in the eyes of BJ, however, we are pretty much the final word when it comes to Professional Cars. Thanks to everyone for their expertise and knowledge.
Paul
Senior Website Administrator

its good to know some people think that we know what we are talking about ......

I think...

EDIT:All seriousness aside,guys.If B-J is talking up the PCS now,after having downplayed the concerns we had about the last JFK related hearse,and finding out it WAS a fake,then they're determined to re-assure the public of both their credibility and the authenticity of this car.I really don't anticipate that authenticating celebrity hearses is going to be a big trend after this auction,so I'd lobby for enjoying our fifteen minutes of fame

Last edited:
I honestly think that this coach being restored, and restored slightly incorrect at that, and not left original as it was on that day that became such a big part of our countrys history, has really hurt the value in the long run. But that is just my opinion.

The BJ guys and everyone else for that matter, need to realize that we are no different from Mustang guys, or Corvette guys, we are also car guys. Our interest and knowledge just happens to be in Professional-Cars. And when it comes to Professional-Cars, yes we do know what we are talking about.

Josh

Kinda wondering abit about the Kennedy hearse price now as a lot of the cars crossing the block are reserve priced cars right now!

I've been watching it for close to 6 hours so far and not one mention or a shot of the coach yet.
The auctions are weird, stupid money for plain 70's muscle cars, and not much for Dusenberg's and other 30's cars. The value of these types of cars have gone way down. Don't make any sense to me.

Back