Carryall ambulance photos

Steve Loftin

PCS Member
Site Supporter
"Carryall" type vehicles include Chevy/GMC Suburbans, International Travelalls, Dodge Town Wagons, and other panel-based products. Here we go:

Parks F.H. (Okemah, OK)
1983 Summers/Chevrolet

Carterville, IL
1971 Challenger/Chevrolet

(SL photos)

Millgrove, NY
1960 Siebert/Ford
(my favorite in this batch!)

Syracuse, NY
1969 Gerstenslager/Chevrolet

(SL collection)Parks FH_001.jpgCarterville_001.jpgMillgrove NY_001.jpgSyracuse R2_001.jpg

Alden, NY F.D.
Nice, nice 1965 Challenger/Chevrolet
(what a beauty!)

Vienna, WV F.D.
196? ?/GMC
(anyone recognize the bodywork on this?)

Trade-in at Mid-Continent Conversion Co. (Kansas City, MO)
1971 MAC/Chevrolet
(no idea of lineage)

(from my collection)

Newkirk, OK F.D.
1969 ACC/Chevrolet
(ex-Ponca City, OK; note O'Connell-approved whistle)

(SL photo)Alden_001.jpgVienna VA_001.jpgSuburban_001.jpgNewkirk_001.jpg

Coal City, IL
1973 Challenger/Chevrolet
(Dick Adelman photo)

Hemet Valley Ambulance (Hemet, CA)
1960/61 Stoner/GMC
These solid steel hoods were heavy enough without having a Q2B siren installed; I'm sure the hinges met an early demise!
(Tom Parkinson photo)

?
?, N.Y.
1954 Siebert-Ford
(Charles Beckwith photo)

?
Ashland, NJ
1970-ish Springfield/International
(SL collection)Coal City_001.jpgSuburban Q on hood_001.jpgSiebert_001.jpgAshland_001.jpg

I can't miss an opportunity to show off my 1970 National!
driversideq.jpg

frontqge.jpg

cabv.jpg

55478549.jpg

ptcompt2.jpg

ptcompt.jpg
ptcompt1.jpg

Hemet Valley

Coal City, IL
1973 Challenger/Chevrolet
(Dick Adelman photo)

Hemet Valley Ambulance (Hemet, CA)
1960/61 Stoner/GMC
These solid steel hoods were heavy enough without having a Q2B siren installed; I'm sure the hinges met an early demise!
(Tom Parkinson photo)

?
?, N.Y.
1954 Siebert-Ford
(Charles Beckwith photo)

?
Ashland, NJ
1970-ish Springfield/International
(SL collection)

They must have had to use a chain hoist to lift the hood with the Big "Q" Front and Center. They had quite a few Cadillacs in their day too and may have sold to AMR way back when they were first aquiring family owned ambulance services? MM

Ballantyne, of Windsor, ON, built several ambulances over the years including this 1962 GMC. Note how the tunnel lights were faired in to the fron and rear rooflines. Note also what I'm guessing are warning lights inside the rear doors...perhaps for when the rear tunnel lights are obscured by the open doors?

(factory photos)CanAmb 001.jpgCanAmb 002.jpgCanAmb 003.jpg

Ballantyne conversions of 1960/61-ish Fargo and Dodge Town Wagons:

ABC A.S., Windsor, ON

Windsor A.S., also in Windsor

From Walt McCall, who supplied these photos:

"That's Wally Ballantyne, who with brother Bob operated Windsor Ambulance, stepping into the red Dodge. The Chrysler Corporation of Canada marketed Fargo trucks from 1935 thru the 1972 model year. Dodge dealers sold Dodge trucks, Plymouth dealers had Fargo trucks in pickup, panel and medium-duty versions. Badge engineering at its best."CanAmb.jpgCanAmb 004.jpg

Kirk's Emergency Service (Lawton, OK)

1971 ?/GMC
Reportedly still at Kirk's, but I haven't seen it in years; anyone recognize the bodywork (there were no builder's plates on it)?

1983 Superior Southwest/Chevrolet
Usually operated as one-man paramedic unit, this rig would respond along with an ambulance on ALS calls as dispatched, or would intercept a BLS unit when requested. It was later used as a long-distance trip car. (In anticipation of your queries: The light bar is a Ranger by Lectric Lites; there were front and rear Par 46 flashers flanking the speaker enclosure, with 360-degree strobes at the ends.)

As you might guess, Kirk's is today a paramedic-level agency:

http://www.kirksems.com/index.html

(SL photos)Kirk 71 GMC_001.jpgKirk 83_001.jpg

Summers Suburbans...

...from the Dallas area:

Richardson FD
1974 GMC

Mesquite FD
1975 Chevrolet

A show of hands, please...how many in this group have actually worked out of an ambulance with curtains in it?

(Duane Troxel photos)Richardson Summers.jpgMesquite Summers.jpg

A set of stretched Springfields

These were called the Interne series by Springfield:

1967 from N. Massapequa, NY

1973 from Cheektowaga, NY

(SL collection)North Massapequa Springfield IH.jpgSouth Line FD 10.jpg

Hey, I gotta throw in my Travelall here. It's a '71 Springfield Deluxe hightop (standard wheelbase). It was previously owned by, in order:
  1. Mobil Oil, Joilet Refinery, IL
  2. Custer Park (I believe it's Custer Township VFD), IL
  3. Braceville FD, IL
  4. Manchester FD, IL
I bought it on e-bay in 2002. In spite of all those owners, it only has 15K original miles on it! It's claim to fame is being one of the ambulances in the movie "We Are Marshall".1971TravelallAmbulanceSteveLichtman.jpg

Alamo F.H. (dba San Antonio Ambulance)
San Antonio, TX

"1964 Chevrolet panel (one of five), converted by an off-duty San Antonio firefighter that worked for the funeral home on his days off. San Antonio Ambulance Inc. (Alamo Funeral Home) was the contracted emergency
ambulance service for the city at that time (circa November 1966) and I ran many a call out of the rear of the funeral home in these "panels", 283 V8,
standard shift on the column, NO a/c and NO power anything. Very basic "load and go" back then. I was a junior in high school and worked part time and got hired because I had an advanced Red Cross card. But I
digress, LOTS different 40 years ago. Oh, and you guys will love this...don't know if you can see them but dead center on the hood near the windshield is a small set of electric air horns. The city of San Antonio had an ordinance on the books at that time that PROHIBITED the use of sirens on ambulances and
police cars. SAFD was the only emergency vehicles with sirens back then. I know, I know...but it's true."

(photos and description courtsey John Anderson)SAA AFH TX.jpgSAA cab.jpgSAA rear.jpgSAA rear streetside.jpg

Ballantyne, of Windsor, ON, built several ambulances over the years including this 1962 GMC.

Here's a color shot of this same rig, with the Detroit skyline in the background. It now looks orange, but was red when new...I guess the photo has faded over the years!

(factory photo)GMC ambulance.jpg

what no Stoners. I'll never get this one back together with out pictures. here is all I have. this 71 served in the mine at Arcadia Mt.
the newspaper i bought off the man in Canada1971 stoner.JPG1969StonerGM3phDavidBurkham.jpg

Unidentified 1973-74 Stoner Crash Wagon
(nicely equipped!)

Mercy A.S. (Las Vegas, NV)
1973-74 Crash Wagon

(John Anderson photos)

Anne Arundel Co., MD F.D.
1964-66 Challenger
(ex-Glen Burnie F.D.)

(from my collection)AACFD ex GBFD MD.jpgCrash Wagon demo.jpgMAS LVN Crash Wagon.jpg

Internationals

an International every option and then some-has added sidelights, and fireballs on all corners!

http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/7357/909/1600/306.1.jpg

my ambulance in Upland Nebraska:

http://s63.photobucket.com/albums/h159/burntbob1/?action=view&current=8f8753b5.jpg&newest=1
8f8753b5.jpg

and as it looks now:

http://s63.photobucket.com/albums/h...&current=bobdavidson65travelall2.jpg&newest=1
bobdavidson65travelall2.jpg

A homemade lowrise IH and some Suburban conversions behind from Catham Ont area:

http://s63.photobucket.com/albums/h...ew&current=sunparlourIHambulance.jpg&newest=1
sunparlourIHambulance.jpg

Memories

I worked in the "Binder" in the previous post at the beginning of my career. With two patients on board, you squatted over the head of the patient on the number 9 cot.

Back