Update on 1970 Cotington 48

Car's turned around, time to do the passenger side! Thankfully, this side isn't as bad as the driver's side, primarily the quarter panel in question. You can see what little is left of our parts car. http://www.professionalcarsociety.org/forums/showpost.php?p=841890706&postcount=18 shows what we started with.

One victory for the PCS - the shop gets a lot of attention for the vehicle, and they told me they hear a reference to a certain 1980s movie frequently. I think we should be proud to hear that they have taken to responding with "No, it's an ambulance." :)

As we approach paint - I have been reconsidering painting the car it's original "Classic White" over "Bolero Red" (a 1967 GM color that was carried over for C/B.). Former discussion at http://www.professionalcarsociety.org/forums/showthread.php?t=15661 . There are two other 1970 C/B-Oldsmobile Cotington 48's still out there in good condition - one at Smith Ambulance in OH, and another in NJ - both are this paint scheme. In fact, historical review seems to show that as the most common paint scheme by far! With little exception, 1970 Cotington's all look alike with the same set of four tunnel lights up front, CP25 speaker, and Federal Model 184 beacon! However, The factory brochure shows a nice green, which appears to be the "Sherwood Green Metallic." (The parts car was Ming Jade Metallic, kind of yucky in my opinion...) The interior would need to be dyed to fit that - but the bench, jump seat, etc. was a bit faded/torn anyway and would have needed work anyway. I'm a big fan of historical preservation, but after almost three years - I've found no one that remembers this car before it was turned in to Stratus Specialty Vehicles in 1992 and photographed by Steve Loftin. From at least 1978 on, it was basically an unwanted cast-off that served as a backup unit at Concordia and Miltonvale, KS. It's original purchaser - Junction City, KS - originally tried to tell me they had never owned anything besides box ambulances. They did change their tune when I provided the original "Protect-O-Plate" showing their delivery address... However, in that light, seems to be that there is little "local history" to preserve like there is with the Rhinecliff, NY Pinner-Chrysler or Norfolk, NE Gerstenslager-GMC. What sayeth the hive mind? Is green good to go? :)

Lastly - I am looking for an angled four-hole base for a Federal Q2B. Kevin O'Connell is kindly working on the siren to go on the roof, but base is a flat one. PM or e-mail me.

Attachments

• 2016-11-23 15.53.17.jpg
    2016-11-23 15.53.17.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 478
  • 2016-11-23 15.53.41.jpg
    2016-11-23 15.53.41.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 340
  • 2016-11-23 16.01.01.jpg
    2016-11-23 16.01.01.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 344
  • 70cbamb3.jpg
    70cbamb3.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 336
Last edited:
I surely admire you guys who have the talent and patience to do the restoration on these beautiful pieces of EMS history. Kudos ����

My opinion paint it what YOU like green is good if you like it. Bill Marcys Pontiac is a good example of a non standard color looks great. In Philadelphia we had the 50th Ward Community Ambulance theirs were metallic GOLD with a white roof you never missed who it was when they went by.

Nic, green similar to the original sales brochure is also my vote. Another consideration might be white over a lemon yellow. Smith's Ambulance in Edmonton, Alberta ran a fleet strongly based on C/B Olds with this colour scheme and it was a good look.
Too me a car this uncommon today should have a unique appearance, and for this reason not red.

I would suggest painting it in a color or scheme that will not require a complete change of the interior. Red over white, perhaps? Maroon or burgundy?

In fact the 72 night top we had was dyed from blue to green on the inside. DOD wanted green inside and white out. CB had a abundance of blue that year so the gift changed the color to fit the contract. Me I always liked the saddle interiors Thay would go with any thing.

Interesting discussion here. I think with an ambulance, you get lots of flexibility with colors. Although my Pontiac was originally a pastel green, another unconventional color for an ambulance, it was changed to the turquoise color over the years. Interestingly, the color is a correct 1968 Pontiac color they called Meridian Turquoise. For your C-B ambulance, I think you should pick a color you like and if it is a correct for the year Oldsmobile color, even better.

Congratulations to you Nic, on the restoration of an ambulance that was surely doomed. It will be great to see it take awards at a PCS Int'l Meet one of these days.

Major ambulance company of Montreal during the 50's 60's and 70's Godin had a specific two tone green vehicles. Light green over dark green. After 1964 they merged with only Cotner-Bevington ambulances and were the official Expo-67 ambulance service so, you have my vote for green !

Most votes seem to have gone with the green. We're still a ways out - but I'm looking forward to it.

Mr. Henry - it's not orange. It's what the original Bolero Red paint turned into after many years in the Florida sun.

The color Bolero Red was just a name in the GM library of color names, and it changed hues many times from when the color name was first introduced in the early 1950't. This is why it is important to know the color number, more so than the color name. I believe that the only other industry that has come up with more names for the color red, is the lipstick industry.

Car's turned around, time to do the passenger side! Thankfully, this side isn't as bad as the driver's side, primarily the quarter panel in question. You can see what little is left of our parts car. http://www.professionalcarsociety.org/forums/showpost.php?p=841890706&postcount=18 shows what we started with.

One victory for the PCS - the shop gets a lot of attention for the vehicle, and they told me they hear a reference to a certain 1980s movie frequently. I think we should be proud to hear that they have taken to responding with "No, it's an ambulance." :)

As we approach paint - I have been reconsidering painting the car it's original "Classic White" over "Bolero Red" (a 1967 GM color that was carried over for C/B.). Former discussion at http://www.professionalcarsociety.org/forums/showthread.php?t=15661 . There are two other 1970 C/B-Oldsmobile Cotington 48's still out there in good condition - one at Smith Ambulance in OH, and another in NJ - both are this paint scheme. In fact, historical review seems to show that as the most common paint scheme by far! With little exception, 1970 Cotington's all look alike with the same set of four tunnel lights up front, CP25 speaker, and Federal Model 184 beacon! However, The factory brochure shows a nice green, which appears to be the "Sherwood Green Metallic." (The parts car was Ming Jade Metallic, kind of yucky in my opinion...) The interior would need to be dyed to fit that - but the bench, jump seat, etc. was a bit faded/torn anyway and would have needed work anyway. I'm a big fan of historical preservation, but after almost three years - I've found no one that remembers this car before it was turned in to Stratus Specialty Vehicles in 1992 and photographed by Steve Loftin. From at least 1978 on, it was basically an unwanted cast-off that served as a backup unit at Concordia and Miltonvale, KS. It's original purchaser - Junction City, KS - originally tried to tell me they had never owned anything besides box ambulances. They did change their tune when I provided the original "Protect-O-Plate" showing their delivery address... However, in that light, seems to be that there is little "local history" to preserve like there is with the Rhinecliff, NY Pinner-Chrysler or Norfolk, NE Gerstenslager-GMC. What sayeth the hive mind? Is green good to go? :)

Lastly - I am looking for an angled four-hole base for a Federal Q2B. Kevin O'Connell is kindly working on the siren to go on the roof, but base is a flat one. PM or e-mail me.

So, if it was traded in to Stratus in 1992, when did Stratus sell it? I find it hard to believe that Gene would have sold it as he was(unfortunately) hoarding old ambulances at that time. Here is a '69 Cottington that he would have taken in on trade around that same time. This one was sold at Gene's estate auction for $320 this past Spring.

Attachments

• IMG_0456.jpg
    IMG_0456.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 382
So, if it was traded in to Stratus in 1992, when did Stratus sell it? I find it hard to believe that Gene would have sold it as he was(unfortunately) hoarding old ambulances at that time.

Can't say exactly - but not long after. It went to Chattanooga Ambulance Service in TN. I am not sure if it was just a parade rig, long distance transport, or both. Somewhere around 1997 it made it to Florida. Unfortunately, at that time it was in quite decent shape, but was disassembled at some point - then left outside at a battery store for many years.

Mr. Henry - it's not orange. It's what the original Bolero Red paint turned into after many years in the Florida sun.

Understand, my point was that any color other than Omaha Orange would look great on that car. (Green is a awesome choice)

I know Omaha Orange was an original color on many ambulances, but it is so obnoxious in my opinion that the color mutes the sleek lines of a well crafted ambulance body.

I think Omaha Orange looks great on 1971 and newer ambulances. I probably wouldn't paint one Omaha Orange unless it was originally that color. I personally love greens too, but a lot of people despise green on anything. A solid red(any red) would probably be my last choice of colors. Ambulances were definitely meant to be two-toned!

Painted so many of them I can't get excited with a love hate thing. As long as the paint scheme flowes and doesn't stab you in the eye it's OK. Some colored were just not intended to go together. Some commerical rigs were painted them just to have them stand out. The only thing you want to think of when selecting colors is does it flow and what will it look like when you open the door.

One thing I have been pondering is side/ditch lights for the Cotington. It appears the usual "ditch"/scene lights I'm familiar with are 1971 and newer, but I've found two photos of 1969/1970 Cotington's with side lights. The "flat" light are rather cool - reminds me of Superior. Were these factory or dealer/local installed? Is this something we might be able to equip the Cotington without too much hassle?

Working on getting the Q2B siren mount lined up and holes drilled before the siren's rechromed and the paint done. The major obstacle that remains to getting to paint/interior is the passenger side rear fender. Patience...

Also - it was asked back in 2012 what the compartment behind the driver's seat was in a M-M Lifeliner. (http://www.professionalcarsociety.org/forums/showthread.php?t=10929) I can say that our Cotington has this compartment as well - it extends all the way through the cabinet to the front as pictured to the grate. The 1971 M-M cabinet options include one that shows a similar design of grates, which it relates are rear A/C outlets. On the floor behind the driver's seat, below this compartment entry - was a disassembled blower assembly (photo from a year or so ago) - so I suppose this provides an explanation for similar compartments. Note holes present that should correspond to mounting the blower hose.

Attachments

• Elgin NE 69 CB 48 001.jpg
    Elgin NE 69 CB 48 001.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 228
  • 1970-KielWI.jpg
    1970-KielWI.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 227
  • 2016-12-21 11.29.43.jpg
    2016-12-21 11.29.43.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 216
  • 2016-12-21 11.33.31.jpg
    2016-12-21 11.33.31.jpg