'61, '62, '63 plus who knows?

After repeatedly trying and successfully making contact, I'm headed to a yard late this week quite a distance away. A wrecking yard. An old wrecking yard. A very large old wrecking yard: Almost 110 acres and close to 12,000 vehicles in the middle of nowhere.

Let that sink in for a hot minute. Carlisle is what, 82 acres? That takes me 5 hours to cover at a decent pace to see everything...

There are many procars. I asked owner to focus on '64 & back. Off the top of his head:

'61 Pontiac ambulance
'62 Pontiac hearse
'63 Pontiac ambulance

'61 Cadillac hearse
'63 Cadillac ambulance

Followed up by saying a couple earlier than those - and several newer than that. Zowza! Wasn't worth asking about individual conditions or coach builders with as many cars.

Besides taking essentials (WD40, PB Blaster, tools, repellent, Java Monster Chai Hai, extra camera & phone batteries, additional camera media card, etc.), I want those needing parts for possibly those models up to mid-'70s to post in this thread. PMs will get jacked over limit quickly and I can check this thread from phone in field.

Keep in mind I am NOT selling anything here. Cash & carry place that does not offer shipping though. Old school. If I can connect others in need - great. If not, you'll see pictures of whatever remains there later. Can hardly wait! :cool:

Also viewing shortly: '47 Flxible Buick, then two '61 S&S hearses and a '64 MM combination in one collection, 5 rotting hearses/ambulances at another yard including a '59 Superior 3-way.

wow..... MY kind of field trip! Nothing like a good OLD junk yard! Of course, if any of the cars start with the E-word, please let me know. 260-433-7379. Tom

Besides taking essentials (WD40, PB Blaster, tools, repellent, Java Monster Chai Hai, extra camera & phone batteries, additional camera media card, etc.), I want those needing parts for possibly those models up to mid-'70s to post in this thread. PMs will get jacked over limit quickly and I can check this thread from phone in field.

Looking for the rt front fender lip moulding , the rt rocker stainless and 3 of the name tag on the inside of the door. All for a 62 Crown Thanks!

Attachments

• DSC07099.jpg
    DSC07099.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 963
  • DSC07101.jpg
    DSC07101.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 954
Last edited:
Looking forward to the junk yard photos ! Take lots !
It's art in itself !

Take photos of the 2 '61 S/S's in the persons collection.
I would like to see those too.

I hope you can sleep between now and then !

Have fun,
Darren

Atti, if that 63 is a Superior, I would be interested in the medicine cabinet if it still has one. Also still looking for a 63 Cadillac timing cover, a very hard part to find, and prone to failure. Mine is good but looking forward I would like a spare. Thanks.

Are these cars in a yard in Texas where they are preserved from rust, but sun baked, or are they in a yard in one of the rust belt states? It makes a whole lot of difference on condition of the parts and their value.

interested in

I would be interested in the 61s. If they are M-Ms all the better.
Front bumper ends with turn signal/parking lights.
Glass...windshield, rear corners and rear loading door.
Rear bumper center bar.
Quarter panels/rear fenders.
Front fenders if they are from a M-M.
Factory A/C
Mike

Last edited:
Thank you for offering once again to help us out with finding parts. I need the metal trim piece that covers the screw on each end of a door pull strap for a 1972 Cadillac Fleetwood 75 Sedan. I need two of them. Thank you!

Attachments

• 110.jpg
    110.jpg
    10.4 KB · Views: 841
  • 109.jpg
    109.jpg
    12.7 KB · Views: 845
what he said

I agree with what Kenn said. Anything out of the 'ordinary' is also of interest. I love to see anything one wheels. Especially stuff that might be in a postion to be saved.
Covertibles and wagons are good. The odder the better.
Mike

Darrin

Kenn,
There is a guy here in Springfield, Ohio with a Kaiser Darrin for sale last I heard.
Restored and running.
I will try to find out more if you want.
Mike

Viewed coaches in this yard - and about 30 other acres of the 110ish.

Bad news: Part of the mandatory signed waiver for entry included absolutely no cameras or other picture taking. (<---'Bout killed me!!!) Also, not many complete units worth saving.

Good news: Located 10 ambulances and combinations (not a single hearse) from '55-'72. Setting the '55 aside for now, the rest were all Superior or Miller Meteor. Many quality hard to find specific parts remain. I have submitted a list asking prices on about 45 items.

Took extensive notes on each. Identifying specific models correctly and abbreviating text will take me some time. Hopefully by this evening I'll have an itemized breakdown for you all. ;)

Even though I had to arise at 4am, it has been a really fun filled time. Shocker of the day? An original coach's interior that I've never heard of before, let alone seen. More later.

Here they are without further ado~

'55 Pontiac ? 'truck' - Clapped out conversion that appears to have been completed in the early '60s. Cab was all metal. No doubt countless hordes have walked right past through the years assuming cut down wagon. Recognized the length of side doors and quarters immediately. Only a hint of the former life remains: Partition left intact and a few toggle switches mounted directly to dashboard. Couldn't find a coach builder's mark anywhere. My guess? Ex-ambulance.

'61 Superior Pontiac high top ambulance (white over maroon) - BAD: Broken glass includes from C pillars forward (cracked windshield not commercial, sides flat), front fenders rusty. Missing items: engine, transmission, hood hinges, both front fender trim spears, lights on front and rear of high top portion, rear loading door outer skin(?). GOOD: All trim from A pillars back present, glass from C pillars back good including 3 piece curved rear, attendants seats and cabinet present, main body tub is not rotted, bumpers/grill straight, cast aluminum(?) light 'pods' on sides of high top still present.

ID plate on firewall is stamped Model 2617, the 2 is throwing me for a loop. Restorable? Borderline yes, given rarity. With a better set of fenders, this ambulance would look more palatable. (There are 5-6 passenger '61 Pontiac in the yard that I haven't checked out yet.) Then again, the rear loading door skin is still problematic. I view not having an engine as a means to a reasonable unit price.

Brendan, I bet this has the same cabinet or verrrry close to your '63.

'61 Superior Cadillac Royale limo style combination (black) - BAD: Everything ahead of the firewall is gone, as is windshield, windshield trim, steering wheel, and dash pad. GOOD: Other than a softball size area of rot ahead of the passenger rear bumper end, the rest of the tub is pretty good however. Rest of glass is good, rear compartment looks decent, jump seats present, '61 CC only rear bumper very straight, albeit driver condition chrome.

'61/'62 and '63/'64 CC front clips are difficult ($$$) to find. For that reason alone I say this is a parts car.

'62 Superior Pontiac limo style combination (black) - BAD: Missing steering wheel, dash pad(?), passenger front fender trim spear, radiator, air cleaner assembly, and headlight surround. Driver's front floor rotted, windshield and 1 flat door glass cracked. Front seat torn. Couple small dents. Passenger front fender off another car and has rust. GOOD: With all glass intact, the interior has survived pretty well. Rear compartment once cleaned would be usable as is. Jump seats present.

This one should make for a decent entry level reasonable project. Alternately, great pairing for the next coach.

'63 Superior Pontiac landau combination (dark green) - BAD: Landau irons, interior sconces(?), headlights, and headlight surround gone. Some light surface rust. Rather large tree grew between passenger front tire and fender before being cut and a significant chunk left in. GOOD: All glass good, all trim present, doesn't appear to have any real rot, interior is effin' amazing. Quite upscale - blue tinged dark gray with light gray embroidered snowflake design! Even the jump seats. Incredible. More impressive that it was used in a Pontiac to boot. (*Please* post a picture of this fabric of you have one.) Entire interior should clean up well. Must have had a skeleton rack as there have never been rollers mounted.

This coach is pick of the litter. Rear loading door has old faded Shriner logo and 'Magnus No 3 Alex VA'. I'll assume this coach was actually cared for longer than others here which makes sense given the condition. Front passenger fender may need replaced after tree is removed... Not many landau combinations have survived.

A friend (and former PCS member) may buy this '63 based on the interior alone.

'63 Miller Meteor 48" Volunteer (white/red/white) - Ex-Montgomery Ambulance Service. BAD: Everything firewall forward gone, heavy lower rot, windshield & passenger front door glass cracked. GOOD PARTS: Rest of glass (including etched) & moldings, very nice exterior set of '59-'64 CC windshield stainless, jump seats, cabinet, cot hook, both ambulance embellishments on D pillars (need replating), rear license plate surround.

'66 Miller Meteor Classic 42 (red/white/red) - BAD: Front hit SO hard it must have been a train or semi. Buckled roof past C pillar! GOOD PARTS: Side ambulance etched glass & molding, rear door glass & moldings, jump seat (maybe 2?), skirts.

'67 Miller Meteor Classic 48 (red) - BAD: Heavy rot. Missing grill, bumper, headlights, headlight surround, windshield & molding. GOOD PARTS: Various cot hooks, bars, etc., side ambulance etched glass & moldings, rear door glass & moldings, front door glass moldings, jump seat (again, maybe 2).

'71 Miller Meteor Volunteer (white/red) - Ex-Oxon Hill Rescue Squad, Prince George's County. BAD: Heavy rot. Windshield and door glass x3 broken. Front clip sheetmetal poor. GOOD PARTS: passenger rear door glass, glass C pillar back, all glass moldings, roof moldings, front door mounted spotlights. (Forgot to take notes of rear compartment.)

'72 Superior 54" Ambulance (white/red/white) - BAD: Hood missing, rest of front clip fubar'd, passenger rear quarter pushed in, heavy rot, windshield cracked. GOOD PARTS: Beltline moldings and every molding above them including windows & roof, all side & rear door glass, amber glass lenses on front of high top. (Also forgot to take notes of rear compartment.)

No parts prices yet although I didn't expect them today's exploratory run. Plan is to return next week and fill a truck with 'em. :thumb:

wow..... MY kind of field trip! Nothing like a good OLD junk yard! Of course, if any of the cars start with the E-word, please let me know. 260-433-7379. Tom

Nada.

Looking for the rt front fender lip moulding , the rt rocker stainless and 3 of the name tag on the inside of the door. All for a 62 Crown. Thanks!

That molding isn't Superior specific to my knowledge. Strangely, the only tag seen inner/outer between all 10 was Superior badge passenger fender of the '61 Poncho. There are MANY period buses and those plastic badges may be had there. You're standing behind me in line for a set of those rocker stainless - although I really only need driver side. Take yours to a stainless guy for repair!

Atti, if that 63 is a Superior, I would be interested in the medicine cabinet if it still has one. Also still looking for a 63 Cadillac timing cover, a very hard part to find, and prone to failure. Mine is good but looking forward I would like a spare. Thanks.

See response #18 above for cabinet. There are eight total '63s in yard for timing cover.

I would be interested in the 61s. If they are M-Ms all the better.
Front bumper ends with turn signal/parking lights.
Glass...windshield, rear corners and rear loading door.
Rear bumper center bar.
Quarter panels/rear fenders.
Front fenders if they are from a M-M.
Factory A/C
Mike

You'd have to take the whole rear bumper Mike. He won't split it.

Interested in 64 superior would be interested in front clip or whole car for good price thx kenn 928 3869229 Forgot to add any Kaiser's Frazer's and Darrin's or Davis cars

No '64 Superior Kenn. 2 Kaisers on master 'legend' to yard; didn't see them in person.

Thank you for offering once again to help us out with finding parts. I need the metal trim piece that covers the screw on each end of a door pull strap for a 1972 Cadillac Fleetwood 75 Sedan. I need two of them. Thank you!

No limos Kevin - odd with as many cars.

Always looking for 54-58 Cadillacs and 57-58 Buicks and Oldsmobiles here.

Buick: '57 x4, '58 x5
Cadillac: '54 x3, '55 x3, '56 x3, '57 x5, '58 x5

Neglected to view Olds on master 'legend'.

Gene, I didn't see the part you were looking for either. Will dig more thoroughly next trip.

Thanks Atti, my car has a cabinet on the divider wall, but I suspect a smaller dispensary cabinet existed at one point. Please keep me posted. Thanks for scouting these out.:thankyou2:

Back