"Gacoroof" silicone roof paint

This may have been covered before, but I couldn't find it in a search. I know in the past people have been looking for a good covering to replace a vinyl top, in WHITE.

This weekend my stepdad used my pole barn to paint the roof of his bus while I was gone. He works in the paint department at The Andersons, which is a regional "General Store" that is about the size of your average K-Mart. What he ended up settling on is a product called "Gacoroof" roof paint, which is a very durable but pliable silicone based paint. I was playing around with some of the product that got spilled here and there, and it is completely flexible like silicone gasket material, yet it was still difficult to dent with a fingernail, even only a day after it was applied.

It is designed to be applied to flat horizontal surfaces, so it will take a little practice to get it to cover correct on a vertical side panel, but it can be done. It also works better when applied in lower temperatures than regular paint, as it dries REALLY fast in higher temperatures. 60-70 degrees is probably ideal, but it can be applied at any temperature above freezing. In 90 degree temperatures it starts to dry textured as opposed to going on completely flat. You could probably use that fact to your advantage to get the look you want.

Don't remember the per-gallon price off the top of my head, but it was in the same realm as the truck bedliner that people have been using to do black tops.

I will update if he runs into any problems down the road with it, but it appears to work pretty well.

gacoroof.jpg

Back