siren ID

Picked up over weekend. No identifying plate on it nor provision that there ever was one. About size of a football. Two mounting points on base and front hole is broken off. Not even certain if 6v or 12v. Became quite loud when briefly touched to a 12v battery.

1238902_10151822579798221_898148244_n.jpg

1231483_10151822580443221_1305093342_n.jpg

if it's 12 volt it will be quiet on 6. but the 6 will really wind up on 12. looks to be a federal foot and about a 5 in siren. but the grill has me guessing champion.

Definitely a Federal base, and it is the same as a CP25 base. To me, it looks like a model 29 with a chrome rear cover. Never seen a front grille like that, but as the previous post shows one, it is probably the same manufacturer's product. The only way to know for sure is to undress it, and take a picture of the innards, and compare them to a Federal Model 28.

Looks a little too small to me to be a 28, but also looks a little too big to be a WG series too, although the perimeter holes are dead on to the W series, where the 28 has two bars on each hole. I'm leaning towards a W model, if its sourced by federal.

Here is an identical one one eBay, with the ID tag on the base. Says Auto Matic products, model 3:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/251241821817?_trksid=p2048036

$T2eC16NHJG8E9nyfmZZSBROthCv8SQ~~60_57.JPG

Another Auto Matic products siren from eBay:

1_95d259329056e7cb103971a732c3248b.jpg

From another thread on the Internet:

Originally Posted by 911caddy
Dominion Auto sold these tiny sirens in Canada. I'm not sure who produced them. They came with a rear bullet and a base similar to a CP25 pedestal. There have been a couple of these on eBay recently. A true peanut whistle. Loud with no coast.
I have one like yours but chrome.. It's missing the rear bullet and pedestal too, as it had been mounted behind the grill of an Industrial (Chev suburban) Ambulance.

For some reason the picture on this read won't load on this computer. However, based on what I've read, and the Dominion comment, it sounds like this is one of the sirens built by Auto-Matic Products Co. of Chicago. They marketed a lot of their sirens through dealers after Federal quit building for Darley. Auto-Matic is no longer in business. Originally they marketed their small line of sirens for boats and/or vehicle alarms, but they also caught on for emergency vehicles. They also built for North American and a couple of other companies. Their version that resembles a Federal WG was called the "Admiral". They made several variations, much like Federal did, but in only two sizes. The 6" size came either full chromed as in the Admiral mentioned above, or painted black with a choice of mounts and grille styles. The smaller size about 4" could be compared to the Federal VGs or O sirens. These sirens were relatively inexpensive and were well made. John Dorgan has a siren similar to one of theirs on his website, but it's a Chinese "knock-off".

The easy way to spot the difference between the Darley "Champion" sirens and standard Federals, is that the Champions all used the pedestal style bracket, such as seen on EGs, 28s, etc.

http://elightbars.org/f14/can-anyone-identify-mechanical-siren-17552/

Last edited:
if it's 12 volt it will be quiet on 6. but the 6 will really wind up on 12. looks to be a federal foot and about a 5 in siren. but the grill has me guessing champion.

Darley Champion is my guess, as well. Most of Darley's sirens were private-labeled for them by Federal or North American.

Back