Electrical help needed.

John Royark JR

PCS Member
My 95 Superior Chevy has the dome lights that stay on for about 35 seconds after the door is shut. Every once in a while, like once in 50 times, it dont shut off and will stay on until the battery is dead. I have gotten in the habit of standing by the car to make sure it goes off, you can hear an audible click from some kind of relay when it goes off. If it does not go off you just have to open the door and shut it again and it usually works. At first I thought it may be the light switch in the driver door sticking, until one day when it didnt go off I opened and closed the passenger door to see what would happen, and it went off after the time limit, just like as it would as if I did the same thing to the driver door, so it cant be the switch sticking.
Any ideas, would it be the relay thats bad, or something else? If it is the relay, where is it located, and what does it look like?
This is only for the front doors, and only front dome lights come on. Opening the number two and loading door causes just the rear lights come on, and they shut off instantly when the door is shut, so they have to be on a completely different circut.

Hope my rambling makes sence,

I've had this happen on my buillac. There is a relay under the drivers side of the dash on the firewall. You'll see a few little black boxes. Its easy to find. When you've had the lights on for a minute, reach under there and see which one is warm and pull it out. The lights should go out and you know you have the correct relay. You can drive it without it plugged in, you just won't have interior lights. You can get a replacement at basically any parts store. Hope this helps.........

I've had this happen on my buillac. There is a relay under the drivers side of the dash on the firewall. You'll see a few little black boxes. Its easy to find. When you've had the lights on for a minute, reach under there and see which one is warm and pull it out. The lights should go out and you know you have the correct relay. You can drive it without it plugged in, you just won't have interior lights. You can get a replacement at basically any parts store. Hope this helps.........

Thanks alot, any idea what the part is called?

that would be the light delay timer. or the delay light timer or maybe the timer to delay the interior lights. who can say for sure what GM named it. but if you can find it and take it in with you I find most parts guys can cross the number to what ever they are selling. most likly the points are sticking due to the arcing and it not a serviceable idem.

Got aroung to checking it out today. Thanks to Jeremys post I found it with no trouble at all. Like he said the lights went off. They still go on with the headlight switch, so if the new relay dont fix the problem, I can still have interior lights.

Parts store had no problem finding the new one by the part number, and even had it in stock. It is just called an accessory relay, no fancy name for this one.

Back