Toronto man injured by freak accident..

I will be taking photos of the car tomorrow and leaving a card from the members of the Professional Car Society.

I will post the photos asap.

Darren

This is my worst PCS nightmare. Although this is certainly a freak accident, it illustrates how important it is for us to exercise every possible means of safety and caution when working on our cars. Be sure your jack stands are rated to support the weight of (at least the front) of your car. I tend to keep the lift or bottle jacks installed beneath a car even if it's resting on jack stands. Words cannot express my relief that Dave will recover. Special prayers are coming his way! Tom

Very true I do the same, also I use car ramps when I can. Unfortunatly jack stands would not have mattered in this situation.

I received a call from Dave about an hour ago.

He is doing well and is in good spirit. He said that after his car was hit it did not drop to the ground, it only droped about 4 inches. As I told him, he was lucky in his bad luck, because if the car would have fell all the way down, he'd be dead.

He will be in the hospital for a few more days, but he is already making plans to get his car fixed.

If all goes well, we'll get pictures of the car on the website tomorrow. Darren will try to make it down to the East side to see what he can do. Thanks Darren.

Wow, sounded like a tragedy, glad he's able to talk on the phone and doing well. Our thoughts are with him for a speedy recovery.

It is a good reminder that our fun hobby does have it's dangers.

Best wishes for a speedy recovery

Best wishes,and prayers for a speedy recovery! as steve said,it is
sometimes very dangerous to work on these cars of ours,especally when
working underneath.PLEASE EVERYONE,use extra caution when you go underneath a vehicle!!!!!!!:thumb:

When I'm working under my Lifeliner I use a floor jack and jack stands and wood cribbing. I also block the front wheels (in front of them) and the rear wheels (behind them).

I'm sure we've all had our cars "scoot" over a few inches when using a wheeled floor jack hence the front & rear blocking I now do.

Glad that Dave is OK...hoping his recovery is speedy.

I am glad Dave is okay too. I am also pleased to see all this about taking care before going under your car, I know mine weighs about 3 tons or so and the thoughts about backing everything up are good. the basic lifts and then the axle stands and then cribbing too.....good one and thankyou everyone !

Dave

I tend to keep the lift or bottle jacks installed beneath a car even if it's resting on jack stands.

I whole heartedly agree. I HATE being under a car to begin with....I leave the jacks under the car just as you said. I put the car on the stands, then lower the jack about half an inch to take the pressure off of it, then tighten the handle back up. You can see the set-up below--jack sitting in front of stand:

Attachments

• FrontSusp 005.jpg
    FrontSusp 005.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 334
the car weights 3 tons you put 4, 3 tone jack stands under the car at the jacking points. you have all ready supported the car better then 4 time it's weight. the more stuff you add the more dangerous it is. you get that Caterpillar effect !! then it only take a little pressure to push the car off the supports. put the jack stands at the jack point and let the weight of the car keep it there. if your going to crib it don't let the cribbing support the car or let it support it all. do not I repeat do not have more then 4 points holding the car up.

what save this man was the tires were on the car and he had a fast neighbor.
what happened to him could not have been avoided by him in any way other then letting someone else work on the car

I haven't been by for photos yet. I hope to Thursday.

I spoke to Dave on the phone Sunday night and he was still very upset about the whole situation so I wanted to wait a few extra days before going over.

Just like any of us, he waited a long time to get his car, paid a lot for it, only had it 3 days until it was hit.

What makes it even worse is that the car fell on him and he is dealing with broken ribs and other injuries.

He says the lady was TEXTING AND DRIVING !
Just a note to all that very bad things can happen by holding your phone while driving. Death isn't that far away for the texter or person involved.

Please think about this situation before texting or holding your phone when in your car from now on.

Photos coming soon !

Darren

Thanks for the update,was confused when I first saw the news clip,did not want to call anyone at home,but felt it had to be explored,finally after several hours found my PCS directory,and did some detective work, about the same time the posting I had done caught Jean Marc's attention ,and he filled in the blanks.If there is anything we can do let us know,

Texting and driving, imagine that!! People are so stupid. I have seen so many wrecks and a few deaths all caused by this, also I have been almost hit several times by people doing this, something needs to be done about this growing problem. Why does everyone think they are so important that they have to be in contact 24/7? When we grew up we didnt even know what a cell phone was and we all survived. And why text anyway, its a phone talk on it like it is designed for!!! As you can see I have no tolerance for texting and driving!! I will stop my rant now it just pi$$es me off. I hope our fellow PCS member recovers soon and can repair his rig and enjoy it again.

In the past two years, Maryland has passed laws prohibiting hand-held cell phone use while driving, and prohibiting texting while driving. It's a good start. I know other states have similar laws, and all should. But it hasn't really reduced the accident rate because people still talk or text while driving.

I have Bluetooth built into my VW. To make a phone call, I just press one button on the steering wheel, and it has voice recognition so I don't even have to dial the number, just speak ("Call Ledford Jeremy on Mobile Phone"). I love technology.

As further proof that texting is dangerous, did you see the video of the guy texting who walked up to a bear, and then ran off? Bet he doesn't text and walk again!

I'm glad Dave's doing OK. Could have been much worse.

We actually have whats called the distraction law,you may not text, talk on the phone,apply makeup,drink coffee,or eat,anything that would distract from proper control of the vehicle,yet like every law on the highway it applies only to the other person,and yes the dumb reply would be if you don't like my driving stay off the sidewalk,yes saw the man meets bear video,betcha the bear was wondering what smells like doo-doo..

I have Bluetooth built into my VW. To make a phone call, I just press one button on the steering wheel, and it has voice recognition so I don't even have to dial the number, just speak ("Call Ledford Jeremy on Mobile Phone"). I love technology.

So that's why I've been getting calls from "Lichtmans VW" all day!!!:4_11_9::hide::toocool::yankchain::yum:

In the past two years, Maryland has passed laws prohibiting hand-held cell phone use while driving, and prohibiting texting while driving. It's a good start. I know other states have similar laws, and all should. But it hasn't really reduced the accident rate because people still talk or text while driving.

As further proof that texting is dangerous, did you see the video of the guy texting who walked up to a bear, and then ran off? Bet he doesn't text and walk again!

I'm glad Dave's doing OK. Could have been much worse.

Iowa has a law that its illegal to text while driving, but if they see you doing it they still cannot pull you over for it unless you are doing something else illegal while doing it so I dont know what the point is of the law,

we have the distracted/impaired driver law here also. adding one more law on the books won't stop the activity. it never stops them from wasting time on it though every legislative secession though. these laws are impossible to enforce. all the distracted / impaired driver law will do is set liability after a accident accrues. and before you ask yes picking your nose while driving is distracted driving

In BC we have the same no hand-held device use laws. On major accidents it's now almost standard procedure for the police to obtain cell phone records of all the involved drivers to see if they were using their phones at the time of the crash.

Back