1966 Cadillac Hearse

4. If the block is cracked or warped it would be more then just a few hours, with buddies to rectify. :eek:

An RR is the removal and replacement of the engine. If an R/R is in order, what difference does it make if the block is cracked? I would add the expense of a new radiator and water pump...thermostat, belts, hoses, plugs, wires.... to any replaced engine. In the specific case of this engine, the seller stated that he replaced the water pump.

The first engine that I ever pulled and replaced was with a friend who also had never done it before. We pulled a motor out of a 1962 Cadillac and replaced it with a rebuilt one. It took us longer than a pro would take to do the job, but we had more fun than a pro would have had :)...It took us about 6 hours to pull the engine and about a total of 8 - 10 hours to put the new one in...We put a new thermostat, water pump and radiator in too...it makes sense to do so since those parts are not expensive, but, if they fail, the result can be terrible!

Your advice to vett the credentials and insurance coverage of a transporter is sound. I find that using an established, known shipping company provides some piece of mind, even if it costs a bit more. I also routinely purchase my own policy, for a vehicle that covers shipping, prior to having it shipped. I have also been lucky; I have only used open shipping, and never had an issue.

This hobby is not for the weak of heart or pocket-book...That said, striking a balance between frugality and blowing the lock off of your wallet is a good idea...save money when you can....spend it when you should.

I do not consider our exchange bickering or arguing...Rather, I consider it educational. I am grateful to learn from those with knowledge and experience. Thank you for sharing your knowledge with me and the those who read this thread.

Last edited:
Back