Federal VL1

James Fischer

PCS Member
Could someone please advise me as to what I need to do to install a Federal VL A-1
24v 6.5amp on a 12v(Dual Battery System) ?? OR is it not worth the effort and just stick with a 12v siren ??
Thank you..

Last edited:
24 volt

ever converted a 6 volt to a 12 volt? well its not that easy. 24 volt would be a hassle id say. 12 volt siren seems much easier. i hooked the batterys up wrong when i replaced them on my golf cart and boy did that make a mess. melted. 24 volt and did not pay attention when disconnecting the batterys and well, i had a new respect for 24 volt. now i think there 48 mvolt or something like that. now i just take it when theres a battery problem. they know what there doin better than me. the point i think im trying to make is 12 volt siren.:blahblah:

How did you guess....

The first time I saw a VL sirenlight, I wondered if was made for use on a go-kart or riding mower!

Actually Steve your right the siren only measures about 10"-12"inches....

I am in a project with a couple of classic car guys and we are in the process of planning a 69-70 Cad Superior type of ambulance based on a ex Ben Ali go kart !

The glass guy is going to start the molding process in a few weeks and the "mechanical" guys want to put a dual 12v system on it so it will be able to handle the beacon-tunnels-siren...for parade use...
It will be used for Kaiser Hospitals PR,parades,fun runs and static display and will be sitting next to my 70 Rescuer when completed....
So we wanted to try and find a "small" siren/light..and there just happens to be one on E-Bay..so that was mainly while I was asking....but NO,I dont think I would mount that on a "REAL" ambulance....:cool:

not worth the effort the batteries would have to be in series to run the noise maker and what you got that's going to charge them that way?

I'm no electrical expert, but this all sounds a bit complicated. Might it not be easier to find a 12v siren? For a golf cart for parades, you could even use one of those little burglar-alarm sirens. :rolleyes:

James: Have you had the chrome rear cover off the siren? Some of Federal's 24-volt sirens had 24-volt motors, but I've come across a few that had 12-volt motors with a stepdown resistor on them. If nothing else, those small motors aren't all that expensive, and I think that Joe Dorgan keeps them on hand.

Back