Prices Dropping on "The Black Book"

Agree

I have to agree Kurt...I sold a duplicate I had on E-Bay ...was listed on a 10 day auction.....SOLD for $51.56.....:thumbsdown:

I think it depends on who's looking and when. Sometimes even if you come across it.

Also condition is key.

GOOD condition is far from MINT, EXCELLENT, VERY GOOD, ETC.

I bought a book that was listed as good and it came in looking like it was read at least 400 times. Cover and pages bend, creased, folded. Pages yellowed, dirtyt, curled and tips all bent.

Readable yes... but far from something you would say you were proud to have.

A book to have and keep for sure if you do not currently have a copy.
Hopefully yours is in fantastic condition too !

Free would be OUTSTANDING, a deal like Mike recently got would be
FANTASTIC, under 100.00 would be GOOD but whatever it takes, within reason, for a mint copy is recommended.

Darren

All depends who is watching....over the last year I have picked up a few auction style for around $30....."Patience is a Virtue" :D

I am pretty sure once people see the cars at the Milwaukee meet they will be snatching up books like crazy. Seems they get an instant need to know more and having the books there helps,I bought several books at the Hudson meet and plan to bring extra money for this meet.:applause:

In looking closer at the photos, I see that it was not in what I would call "Good" condition. Cover was in pretty poor condition. I will have to bring a couple of spares along to Milwaukee. I have 2 nice spares that I would sell for $100 each.

then again after awhile those people that are will to pay the extra for a copy have one. they don't need to buy another.

I think it depends on who's looking and when. Sometimes even if you come across it.

Also condition is key.

GOOD condition is far from MINT, EXCELLENT, VERY GOOD, ETC.

Free would be OUTSTANDING, a deal like Mike recently got would be
FANTASTIC, under 100.00 would be GOOD but whatever it takes, within reason, for a mint copy is recommended.

Yes I got mine from Kijiji for $20.00 and its in great shape, the guy (who was a mechanic) didn't know what he had. I Had Tom sign it a few weeks ago

I bought my copy a couple years ago, off ebay. I don't remember what I paid, I just remember is was under $80. I bought another off ebay for $10 "buy it now". I didn't hesitate on clicking that the button. I gave it to a friend, she didn't have a copy.

Back in the mid to late 80's I met with George Dammann who owned Crestline Publishing and had moved it to Sarasota Florida. I was interested in buying "The Black Book" in bulk.....which he was more than happy to accommodate me as he had a partial palette full left (maybe 10 cases). At that time he said it was the slowest moving book he ever published and asked me to make an offer on the remainder. I was there with the late Andy Shaw....and we opened a case or 2 and they had sat so long the the papers used as spacers between the book has actually stuck to each cover from storage ( I managed to clean them fine). After seeing the condition from storage I bought 5 cases (50 books) for $100. A few of the cases the top few books the covers were essentially destroyed which I left. We also bought at least one or 2 copies of most of "The Crestline Series" which Walt McCall had I think 2.....one on Cadillacs and I think there was one on Fire Trucks as well. I have pared down my library over the years but always enjoyed the Crestline Books. I seem to recall Crestline sold its remaining stock to the auto book giant in Wisconsin and they unloaded most old stock at the big air show up that way. As a sideline...George was cutting up the "originals" for "The Black Book" and using them as shipping material......I grabbed a few original pages and think I have them buried somewhere. I keep finding stuff I didnt even remember having as I am slowly downsizing my collections.

Well seeing as everyone is telling their story I will mine.

My mother bought my first copy for me. I saw it advertised in a magazine here in Australia and was telling my mother in Canada about it. She bought it and sent it in. Care package to me......

Back