Slow turn signals & headlamp flasher

I'm putting this out for thoughts. I installed a new turn signal flasher on the Lifeliner but the turn signals are only slightly faster than before. I checked all the bulbs and connections, good there. Is there any way to speed my turn signals up?
Also, I want my red high beams to flash. Suggestions on that as well.
Richard

Not too technical please.

Richard what i've found in the past is if you install a heavy-duty flasher unit it'll speed them up. Heavy duty-flashers are typically used for towing applications since you're running trailer lights as well. A trailer will drag down the "speed" of your turn signals. Maybe you're encountering the same problem depending on how many lights you have for turning indicators.
As for your headlights... it's only a matter of time before someone chimes in here with a unit that will alternate your headlights from side to side for you! I think i'd like the same thing for the purple high beams on the '67 (don't call me a copycat!) LOL

maybe from work

The turn signal flashers are usually numbered. Use one brand or get the cross reference from brand to brand. When I was working (International Trucks) we had flashers that were rated for 4, 6, 8, and more lights. Some companies wanted their cab roof lights to flash with the warning flashers. We also had a 'rule of thumb' that if a circut was longer than I think 14 feet to use a different number flasher. Had something to do with the amount of resistance in the longer circuts. With good clean grounds and connections you should be able to get your lights to flash a bit faster. You may have to experiment with the flasher (number) to do it.
Mike

Headlight flasher

While I know Galls sells them new, here is a listing that might help one of you and priced right.

Reply to: sale-sgzbn-1147883904@craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?]
Date: 2009-04-30, 5:43PM EDT

brand new, never installed galls headlight flasher. made with premium bosch components.

it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests

PostingID: 1147883904

Depending on what you want for a headlamp flasher, you can go with modern day technology of a solid state flasher as made by Galls, Federal, etc., or you can go with period correct technology of either the Cole Hersee 3034 motor driven alternating light flasher or one of the older large can flasher units. I know that I have about a half dozen of the Cole Hersee motor driven flashers somewhere in the garage, but I haven't seen them for a long time now. I think that the mice that inhabited my garage in the winter time, deliberately move things around so I can't find them. :mad:

motor driven alternating flashers

while I like Paul have some of these put away somewhere-a person could check with a salvage yard that might have taken in some school busses, they have a similar unit to flash the overhead and rear warning lights. I'd imagine they could be almost had for the removal.

Given enough time, I probably have some Yankee or Dietz small units somewhere to find also!

Back in the late 60s, how popular were alternating headlights? I do not remember seeing alternating headlights as an option in any of the literature I read.

don't think a they flashed any but the red high beams they were set on a different switch then the head lights so that they could be run independent of the car lights. some places they were more popular then others. mainly in the big cities, from what they tell me. so i would guess it was not something that came from the makers.

Our 1970 Superior Cadillac came with red high beams, but I don't know if they were put on at the factory, or it was a dealer installed item. The State of NJ wouldn't allow them, so they were removed to make it through inspection. We just used the regular high beams on flasher. They were controlled by a separate switch. If you hit the high beam switch, it would override the flasher option, and the high beams stayed on.

Back