Rear shocks on Lifeliner

Ok, I would like to get my lousy air shocks removed from the Lifeliner and install heavy-duty coil overs shocks. How and can it be done? As you know I do have a leaf spring set-up. My current shocks have those eyelets on each end and so far the shocks I've looked at have an eyelet at the bottom and a bolt-pin at the top.

Thoughts?

With current air shocks the Lifeliner still sort of waves up and down when driving wanting something far more steady and to get the ass end up at least 2-3 inches and to stay there.

Your old air shocks are worn out. Replace your existing shocks with air shocks again. Are you certain that they are not loosing air, and that is the problem? Coil over shocks will give you a harsh ride, but they will control the bounce.

Your problem is tires. Not supension. How much air are you running in the rear tires? Put then at 40 psi or the max psi stated on the tire. A whole lot of them today don't get max load till 60 psi. Running the low gives you that squish problem and the wallow during courning. Going to a stiffer suspension will make that worse. You want it stiffer and higher put more air in those shocks.

Your problem is tires. Not supension. How much air are you running in the rear tires? Put then at 40 psi or the max psi stated on the tire. A whole lot of them today don't get max load till 60 psi. Running the low gives you that squish problem and the wallow during courning. Going to a stiffer suspension will make that worse. You want it stiffer and higher put more air in those shocks.

Tires at 45 psi. Butt end of ambulance dragging and lower than it used to be an dhow I like it. Probably the air shocks I installed loosing air have not checked lines as yet.

I am by no means an expert, but many years ago my ex wife and I owned a 1979 Camaro Z-28. When we bought it, the car had "relatively new" air shocks. But, at least once a week we had to make a run to the gas station and pump them back up once the butt-end started sinking. Then they were great, until it was time to put more air back in.

The rear end sat higher when this picture was taken. I want to get it back up to this height and a little more.

Attachments

• ambulance.jpg
    ambulance.jpg
    196.2 KB · Views: 132
One suggestion would be to do what we do with our trucks. Find a local spring shop run the rig over and show them the problem. They will probably recommend rebuilding the rear springs or perhaps adding a leaf to compensate for old age. Your problem is more a spring one you are using the air shocks as a bandaide for worn/sagged springs.

I think Peter has the solution. Had that problem with my Siebert send the springs out added a leaf cured the problem.

I think Peter has the solution. Had that problem with my Siebert send the springs out added a leaf cured the problem.

I had a similar problem with my 93 Eagle Ultimate. I opted for the Heavy load bearing shocks because we use the hearse for hauling tons of food and equipment for catering. That being said, I don't notice too much of a rough ride with it. Of course I'm comparing that to driving my wife's Mini cooper which has two bricks for shock absorbers. Rough as hell! So anything is silky smooth to me.

One day I probably will get a new air compressor (which was part of the issue with mine, in addition to the shocks) and re-do the whole auto-level system. But for now, the coil spring ones work.

Peter's suggestion about checking out the springs is a hella good idea I didn't think of one I may look into myself to see if I can get that ass lifted up even further.

Detroit Eaton get them new they may be cheaper then you think. All you will need to know is number of leaves 7 or 9.

Detroit Eaton get them new they may be cheaper then you think. All you will need to know is number of leaves 7 or 9.

There are plenty of commercial spring rebuilders across the nation, and I would prefer to take it somewhere, where they will do the installation and guarantee their work, then to try to muscleing the old ones out, and fighting to get the new ones in. Also, shipping springs from Michigan isn't going to be inexpensive, and that money will be better spent on having the work done locally. Many local shops still have forges, and they can retemper the old springs to work like new.

Well this might be a contributing factor as to why the butt end of the Lifeliner drags a bit. I checked air pressure today, and there was none. Decided to take a peak at the mounts and turns out one shock came out of the top mount all together. Might explain some things. New lines on their way and I will install my new back-up shocks this week.

Attachments

• IMG_2477.jpg
    IMG_2477.jpg
    169.6 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_2478.jpg
    IMG_2478.jpg
    184.6 KB · Views: 59
Back